road trip!

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

road trip!

Postby alexfore » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:36 am

I am relocating for a new job to Pasadena, Ca from Pittsburgh, Pa. I am driving out there and leaving on Thursday. I am looking for the best course each state along the way has to offer that is within 20 minutes of I-40.

So what are the must-see courses that are near I-40 in Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona?

Thanks!
alexfore
Noob

Postby readysetstab » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:51 am

you should stop by alma in arkansas. i hear they have a nice course.

probably norman, oklahoma. they have a couple good ones.

might want to stop in flagstaff, arizona. didn't they have worlds there a few years back? i played one course there that was pretty decent, although hard to navigate.

i don't really know other towns that are along the way. and i forget the names of the courses in these towns, so sorry about that, but you can find them in the pdga course directory.
readysetstab
Fairway Surgeon

Postby alexfore » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:55 am

Also, which courses in Bowling Green, KY are worth going to?
alexfore
Noob

Postby alexfore » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:37 pm

Thanks readysetstab, I put those on the list

So far I the list I have is

Kariakes in Bowling Green, KY
Alma Flying Disc Course in Alma, AR
Griffen Park in Norman, OK

Any locals want to shout our their favorite course near I-40? What about TN, TX and NM?

I am trying to get a list of nice places to play so I can decide on the fly when I am driving if I will stop and play, depending on time and weather. Thanks again.
alexfore
Noob

Postby jamsisjams » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:43 pm

I don't know if you're going near Knoxville, but Victor Ashe is great. Wide open and long for the most part (of what I played); nice rolling hills throughout; first shot plays through woods over a pond; back nine is a long walk away from the front nine--friend and I didn't realize this and couldn't find it so we played the front nine again; good elevation use.
Tsunami-SOLF--JLS-Wasp-Buzzz--Wizard-Whitler

"Hit me with your wisdom, cow."
jamsisjams
1000 Rated Poster

Postby kevind » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:15 pm

If you are coming down 65 from Bowling Green and catching 40 in Nashville you have to play Cedar Hills Park. Its about five minutes off 40 just north of downtown Nashville

James if you ever make it back to knoxville look me up Victor Ashe is about 15 min from the house.
kevind
Tree Magnet

Postby x-out » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:19 pm

welcome to so. cal :D

be sure to post up when you make it into town.
its a game of mistakes. whoever can make the least amount of mistakes wins.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby ApesOfWrath » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:34 pm

As for Oklahoma:

You might want to try Dolese Youth Park or Lions Park instead of/as well as Griffin Park. Lions and Griffin are two minutes from each other, but Dolese is much closer to I 40.

Before you play Griffin you should know what youre getting into. Very tight fairways with very overgrown rough. Good course, and definitely challenging - but rough.
ApesOfWrath
Tree Magnet

Postby jtkustomizer » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:42 pm

I know its over your 20 min but while going through oklahoma you should detour thru tulsa and play the blackhawk/redhawk combo they used one of the 2 or both for some big tourney a few years back but its before my time playing and dont know for sure.
Destroyer, Firebird, Teebird, Valkryie, FLX Drone, Buzzz, Impact and Warlock
jtkustomizer
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: www.gorilla-boy.com

Postby lsf21 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:31 pm

alexfore wrote:Also, which courses in Bowling Green, KY are worth going to?

lovers lane
keriakas
basil griffin
white park
preston miler

are all decent courses and worth playing. I completely recommend the first 3 as by far the best Bowling green has to offer.
lsf21
Tree Magnet

Postby jeremy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:22 am

lsf21 wrote:

lovers lane
keriakas
basil griffin
white park
preston miler

are all decent courses and worth playing. I completely recommend the first 3 as by far the best Bowling green has to offer.

I would asy Phil Moore, and Keriakas, but you can"t forget Hobson either. If was was stopping in BG I don't think I could pick just one course.
jeremy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 178gr Comet

Postby jeremy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:27 am

Sorry looks like Bowling Green would be out of your way some. I just pulled out the Atlas to see what route would be the best and looks like you will be going north of there.
jeremy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jeremy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:32 am

The only 2 courses I can really recommend is Hoover Dam in Columbus, OH, and Demming Park in Terre Haute, IN. There are supposed to be some really good courses around St Louis, MO but I personally cannot recommend any due to I have never played there.
jeremy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby lsf21 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:54 am

jeremy wrote:
lsf21 wrote:

lovers lane
keriakas
basil griffin
white park
preston miler

I would asy Phil Moore, and Keriakas, but you can"t forget Hobson either. If was was stopping in BG I don't think I could pick just one course.

never played phil moore only played hobson once wasnt a big fan but i had only just started playing to so now it might not be as bad. But BG has so many courses that you could almost set a few days aside to stop here and play that would be worth it but if i had to pick ONE course to play i would say keriakes.
lsf21
Tree Magnet

Return to Courses