Woodland Park, Collinsville, IL

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Woodland Park, Collinsville, IL

Postby discdawg » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:35 pm

I will be there Wednesday of next week. Anyone play it before? Tips?
discdawg
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: TeeBird

Postby wdb4th » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:36 pm

Bring a midrange and a putter. It is fun... watch for traffic. It was a little confusing but we made it all the way around
Throw Quest AT!

Bullard Disc Golf Design
wdb4th
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beat Proto Magic

Postby Will Aubrey » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:34 pm

I played it about 18 months ago. It's a pretty cool course. But if you throw into the water and have to go get your disc do not pull off your shoes! I did and I cut my foot badly.
Will Aubrey
Tree Magnet

Postby Working Stiff » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:04 pm

Ah, Woodland. I get lost every time I go there. Here is a rough map to help you out.
I'm pretty sure the first couple of times I played this course I shot #1 and #10-#18 and went home. I finally went out there one time when someone else was playing and he showed me where the rest of the course was. I only go out there a few times a year, so I still get lost. Anymore if I'm going to go all the way to Collinsville I keep going and play Centralia, so I have not been Woodland in over a year.
Here is a link to a hole by hole description. If I go wet it is usually on #8.
http://www.stldiscgolf.com/CourseDetail.asp?CourseID=10
Last edited by Working Stiff on Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby discdawg » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:14 pm

I checked the website already, but they had no map. I had heard that it is a confusing course.

THANKS FOR THE MAP!!
Valkyrie - Eagle - TeeBird - Roc - Wizard
discdawg
Tree Magnet

Postby discdawg » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:16 pm

From the looks of the map, I doubt I could even find the frigin' 2nd hole!

Wow. You rock, Ron Jeremy! :D
discdawg
Tree Magnet

Postby Triplebogey » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:55 pm

What drunk Polack designed that course??
My trades

I suck at Disc Golf, therefore I can't afford to carry discs that suck.
Triplebogey
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 150 Class Aero

Postby rusch_bag » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:59 pm

Holy hell. That shit looks so confusing. Those holes are not close to each other at all, I would have a very hard time playing that course.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby jamsisjams » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:00 pm

That design hurts my head.
Tsunami-SOLF--JLS-Wasp-Buzzz--Wizard-Whitler

"Hit me with your wisdom, cow."
jamsisjams
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Working Stiff » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:44 pm

I'm not sure who designed Woodland. GDS is involved with a lot of courses around here, but Collinsville is not one of theirs. If whoever DID design it only looked at local St. Louis courses, he would have picked up the distance between holes from them. Long walks between holes is kind-of a McCormack trademark, although his designs usually flow better than this one.

Not a huge deal, though. I wish I had a dollar for every time I had to look for more than five minutes to find the next hole on a disc golf course.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Working Stiff » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:56 am

Hey, Discdawg. How is that course in Effingham? Dave West is a friend of mine. He worked really hard to get that course in, and he goes out there every summer for a doubles tourney. He sends me the results every year, and as I recall there was a big turnout last summer. Dave is an old-time Frolf guy who likes short, technical courses. I've heard that is how the Effingham course is set up. It is a haul to get out there and, so I still have not made the trip. I might try to add it to my "courses played" list this summer.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby discdawg » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:17 am

Working Stiff wrote:Hey, Discdawg. How is that course in Effingham? Dave West is a friend of mine. He worked really hard to get that course in, and he goes out there every summer for a doubles tourney. He sends me the results every year, and as I recall there was a big turnout last summer. Dave is an old-time Frolf guy who likes short, technical courses. I've heard that is how the Effingham course is set up. It is a haul to get out there and, so I still have not made the trip. I might try to add it to my "courses played" list this summer.

Well, now I know why Effingham is a short, technical course. :D

I did not play in the tourny last year (brand new player at the time), but it was well attended. We are starting a league this year and will have a couple more tournaments as well.

Effingham's course is really technical, IMO. You can hit a tree easily on every hole. Many holes require "threading the needle". A lot of fun, but we never really get the chance to air one out.

If you come over here on I-70 this summer, you can actually hit 3 courses on the way. Effingham (18 short, technical), Vandalia, (9 short, pretty simple) and a new course going in at St. Elmo (18 short, technical). We should have St. Elmo open in a month. All 3 courses are less than 30 minutes apart on I-70.
discdawg
Tree Magnet

Postby Working Stiff » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:11 pm

Three weenie-arm courses within 30 minutes? :shock: I'm getting in the car right now!
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby discdawg » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:16 pm

Working Stiff wrote:Three weenie-arm courses within 30 minutes? :shock: I'm getting in the car right now!

Don't look at me, I did not design them. 8)
discdawg
Tree Magnet

Postby discdawg » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:03 pm

Played Woodland today. Not too bad. Even after the monsoon we had the last couple of days. Red tees were junk - mud.

Whites were in good shape and a not as impossible as some of the blue placements. Wind was a pain today.

Friggin' geese kept me from playing the white tees on 15. I tried to scare them off, but those suckers were pissed and hissing at me. I had flashbacks to my youth when one bit me.

I almost aced #9. Went over the hill and did not realize how bad throwing long would have been. I was 3 feet from the pin from the white tees.

Next stop...Lincoln at Springfield on Friday.
discdawg
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Courses