Shady Oaks Park in Chicago?

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Shady Oaks Park in Chicago?

Postby Fritz » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:28 pm

Is this worth the time it takes to get to?

I've been told it's about 30 minutes from O'hare?
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Working Stiff » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:22 pm

30 minutes if there is no traffic. It’s more like 45 minutes.

The place is literally a swamp. If you are going anytime soon it is probably a mess with all the snow they have had. In good weather it is decent, but make sure you bring a can of bug spray and a back-up can of bug spray. Never be there at dusk. Always wear waterproof shoes. The tees are woodchips and stink. All in all, it is no great loss if you miss it. However if you are at O'Hare with time to kill and need a disc golf fix, it is as good as it gets around there.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby discndav » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:07 pm

I played Shady Oaks one year ago this week. Traffic on I-90 can be bad, bring coins to pay the tolls.

It was very wet, luckily I had had my waterproof shoes with me. Good course though, it got longer on the back

There is a decent 9 hole course in Elk Grove Village which is also near O'Hare.

Lombard Commons 18 hole course is further away and good too. It is flat
just like the others.
discndav
Noob

Postby Working Stiff » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:03 pm

Clark Park in Elk Grove Village? The old-time guys all had a soft spot for Clark, I guess it was an old course and a lot of them started playing there. To me as a transplant it was just another short flat nine-hole...like every other course in Chicago, it seems. Clark did seem to cover up the baskets a bit more than some other pitch & putts, so when you were putting for deuce there was usually something in your way. Anyway, the tee pads at Clark were HUGE. They are almost worth the trip themselves. In short Clark Park is good for a fun quick 9, but not a challenging 9.

Shady Oaks does get long on the back, but it is long for long's sake. There was nothing really challenging about it.

Lombard Commons was 9 when I lived there. Madison Meadows was the 18. They are both in Lombard, but Madison Meadows is a better course. It has a decent variety of shots, but it is still flat. Plus I think I heard that Lombard Commons had a big die-off from a tree disease and cut a bunch of trees down, so it may be wide open by now. Lombard is nowhere near O'Hare, so the point is probably moot.

Chicago is a great town, just not for disc golf. If you are in Chi-town and feel the need to throw, just go play the closest course you can find. None of the courses are special enough to make a trip out of your way to play. Personally when I go back, I stay away from the courses and keep my arm in shape doing 12 oz curls. :D
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Fritz » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:08 pm

Ended up forgetting my discs at home. I thought I had put them in my trunk, but when I got to the airport there were no discs in my trunk, and my wife said it was sitting in the den. Oh well. I'll make sure I don't forget them for Orlando. I'm gonna go play T-2.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Working Stiff » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:29 pm

Fritz wrote:Ended up forgetting my discs at home. I thought I had put them in my trunk, but when I got to the airport there were no discs in my trunk, and my wife said it was sitting in the den. Oh well. I'll make sure I don't forget them for Orlando. I'm gonna go play T-2.
If you are going to forget to bring your discs, Chicago is a great place to go. If your arm starts to feel weak, there are lots of great places to do those 12 oz curls.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Dig It » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:21 am

Working Stiff wrote:
Fritz wrote:Ended up forgetting my discs at home. I thought I had put them in my trunk, but when I got to the airport there were no discs in my trunk, and my wife said it was sitting in the den. Oh well. I'll make sure I don't forget them for Orlando. I'm gonna go play T-2.
If you are going to forget to bring your discs, Chicago is a great place to go. If your arm starts to feel weak, there are lots of great places to do those 12 oz curls.

Funny imo.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby Fritz » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:11 am

DigIt wrote:
Working Stiff wrote:

Funny imo.

Lou Malinati's - (3) 12 oz curls
PJ Clarkes - (7) 12 oz curls
Timothy O'Tooles - (6) 12 oz curls
Pippens Tavern - (4) 12 oz curls
Rose Bud - (1) 12 oz curl, (2) Glasses of Wine

EDIT: forgot the (2) 12 oz curls that I had at the Embassy Suites

Good times for sure. Fun City, enjoyed a few Chicago Dogs, very tasty and some Gyro = good.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Working Stiff » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:54 pm

Fritz wrote:
DigIt wrote:
Working Stiff wrote:

Funny imo.

Good times for sure. Fun City, enjoyed a few Chicago Dogs, very tasty and some Gyro = good.
That's what I'm talking about. Keep that arm in shape! :wink:

Skip the dogs and get some deep dish next time.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Fritz » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:30 pm

Working Stiff wrote:
Fritz wrote:
DigIt wrote:
Working Stiff wrote:

Funny imo.

That's what I'm talking about. Keep that arm in shape! :wink:

Skip the dogs and get some deep dish next time.

Oh I ate plenty of Dogs, I just didn't have any curls while doing so because I was working. I visited Downtown Dogs had me a couple Double Char Chicago Dogs :)
and I had 2 more when I got to the airport today, and I had 2 for lunch yesterday.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Return to Courses