How to build good teepads?

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

How to build good teepads?

Postby some call me...tim? » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:56 pm

Does anyone here have experience building teepads? It looks like we're going to be building a couple at our course in the very near future and was wondering if anyone had any advice. I know the basics...set up a form, keep things level, have good traction, etc. I don't have much experience with concrete, apart from putting in a basketball goal years ago. Should we have something like chickenwire or rebar inside the form when we pour? Somebody mentioned something about putting gravel down underneath first...necessary? Also, what works best for traction, Innova's site recommends dragging an astroturf mat across, DGA recommends a screed. Any suggestions? Oh, for what it's worth, one is on a hillside, one is on a somewhat level plateau, somewhat soft earth in a wet climate.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:47 pm

Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Luckyg71 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:03 am

We didnt use and rebar or anything in ours. ours are 6 feet in the back, 4 feet in the front, and 10 feet long. I kinda wish we had made them 12 feet long now though. To ruff up the concrete you can use a broom, make sure you make the grooves deep enough. They will smooth out over time.
The road goes on forever and the party never ends
Luckyg71
Tree Magnet

Postby chainsmoker » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:18 am

A lot of people skip the rebar but I think it depends on what kind of base you have. If it is heavy compacted clay I think you would be fine pouring concrete on it with no rebar. The concrete company can add nylon fibers to the concrete mix that will help prevent cracking without rebar. If heavy mowers are going to run over the tee you may want rebar. The gravel underneath is to provide a stable base and to help keep water away from the bottom of the tee pad. As far as the texture goes I have used a heavy push broom or a broom you use to apply driveway sealer. Wait until the tee is pretty firm but not dry and pull the broom accross the surface putting a little weight on it. If the texture is done correctly you will think holy crap this is way too rough! After a little use the tee surface will get a little smoother but you will still have your deep grooves and it will be perfect.
chainsmoker
Fairway Surgeon

Re: How to build good teepads?

Postby cmlasley » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:19 am

Tim_the_Enchanter wrote: keep things level,

If your mix is such that you have the ability, put a slight crown in the middle or create a low corner for drainage.

On the course I helped build, we put out the forms and staked them in and the city poured them all perfectly flat. They get wet and icy because the water has no place to go.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Return to Courses