NC road trip

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

NC road trip

Postby ferretdance03 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:04 pm

So, a few buddies and I are planning a weekend road trip to NC. We are definitely playing Renny, what other courses should we hit? we figure we can probably do 2 on Friday if they're close enough, and 1 on Sunday if it can be a fairly quick round (sub 2 hrs.).
Also, any suggestions on camping? Obviously we're trying to do it on the cheap.
Thanks in advance for your help.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby jamsisjams » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:32 pm

I hear a lot of good things about Sugaw Creek and Hornet's Nest. From Charlotte, Rock Hill is maybe 30-45 minutes away, which means that Winthrop is only 30-45 minutes away.

Raleigh has some great courses with Cedar Hill and Buckhorn at Harris Lake. Chapel Hill is 30 minutes away with a good course.

If you're going by the west side of the state, check out Richmond Hill at Asheville and the course on campus at Mars Hill, about 20 minutes north of AVL. RH is a tightly wooded course with quite a few shots that play over a valley. MH is longer with a good variety of open and wooded, as well as long and technical. #7 is beast with the wind.

Further north is West Jefferson, about 30-45 minutes east from Boone. This course is challenging with a variety of shots that incorporate the natural elevation differences, woods and the lake. About another hour east from West Jefferson is Yadkinville. I haven't played the course(s?) at Yadkinville but I hear that they've got a good scene there.

And I can't forget to mention Hickory. Glenn C. Hilton park is a great course with a variety of shots that play through the woods, with elevation coming into play on several holes.
Tsunami-SOLF--JLS-Wasp-Buzzz--Wizard-Whitler

"Hit me with your wisdom, cow."
jamsisjams
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discndav » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:56 am

Hornet's Nest is GREAT, the longer version is Charlotte's Web. I liked these better than Renny just because Renny was so damn hard.
discndav
Noob

Postby ferretdance03 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:28 pm

Thanks for the replies!
We're definitely planning on hitting Hornet's Nest and Renny.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jamsisjams » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:06 am

Bring your A game to Renny. I played it about a month ago and had a hell of a time. We stopped keeping score the first round after about 14 holes. The second round was only slightly better in that we kept score the entire round--I shot a 77 on a par 58. :cry:

I tell myself that it's because I couldn't hit a putt that day and somewhere Stan McDaniel was laughing my entire round.

jamsisjams
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ferretdance03 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:36 pm

Par 58, you guys played the original layout? I think we're going to try to play both layouts, mainly because we'll likely not get to play it any other time.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jamsisjams » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:43 pm

Yeah, we played the original layout. I swear, if you miss a putt, you're going to take two more strokes just to get it in. Nearly every green is do or die with consequences afterwards

jamsisjams
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Courses