Fritz Park - Dallas (Irving), TX

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Fritz Park - Dallas (Irving), TX

Postby RustyP » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:29 am

If anyone is ever in the Dallas area and looking for a fun course relatively close to downtown, you should check out Fritz park in Irving , TX (not very far from Texas Stadium).

I played for 3 years in Dallas and never checked this course out until this past weekend when I was in town. It's only a 9-holer, but on Saturdays the locals bring out an extra basket and set up an alternate tee for each hole, making it a 20 hole layout for their mini.

The course is one of the oldest in Dallas, installed in the early 80s. Its a greenbelt-style course...one creek running through the middle of the park, mostly low land with some elevation around the outer edges of the course. Very green, lush grass - just enough big & old trees to make it interesting, but not too challenging. There's a little pond with a fountain that you throw across on one shot, another where you throw out across the creek to a basket sitting right on the edge of the water...but for the most part, the holes are all midrange shots. Very nice park for a relaxing game, but just enough challenge to keep you thinking.

Minis are on Saturday - 10am for singles, 2:30pm for dubs. There are a lot of old-school freestylers that play out there...vey friendly, awesome crowd! My first time out there and I felt like part of the family. Go check it out!
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby geoloseth » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:33 am

I ran into a guy the other day who was telling me about the mini they run out there. I've played the course before and apparently the alternate tees for the second nine holes makes the course more challenging. There are quite a few holes with ace potential and they have THREE ace pots at $300 dollars each. So if two people hit an ace in one round they both get $300. I might be heading down there this saturday to give it a shot.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby RustyP » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:37 pm

the alternate holes definitely add some spice to the course. I just like the overall feel of the place myself...nice lush green grass, cool little pond with fountain, large trees (but not too many), slightly rolling terrain. and yes, there are definitely plenty ot ace opportunities! they also have a "birdie bounty" for club members (which I think costs $15 to join)...basically, the person with the most birdies at the end of the singles mini gets a cash prize.

the locals out there are awesome too...some of the "old timers" freestyle before the rounds to warm up. go check it out, you'll definitely have a good time. it was my first time to meet most of the guys I played with, and they were all very welcoming.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby geoloseth » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:17 pm

I remember going out there a few months ago for the mini, but I saw all the freestylers out there and not a dg bag in sight. I'll probably be there this Saturday (get a nice break from the lake park) the park itself is a really well kept. I think its a buyout of the way to join theclub but I sure could use the ace pot dough.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby RustyP » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:28 am

i think the ace pot is open to anyone...its just the birdie bounty that's for club members only...i think :)
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Return to Courses