Kensington

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Kensington

Postby CJ1998 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:16 am

Just wondering when the Toboggan course is usually installed. I know it's just temporary during tourneys, but I would love to have a chance to play it at least once this year.

My guess is sometime in conjunction with the Great Lakes Open, but other than that, I don't know.
CJ1998
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby CJ1998 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:41 am

OK. I tried searching for some more info on this on Google. There's not much info out there. The one page I did find that had anything to do with when and how the course is installed was a local DG organization who planned on installing the course themselves.

Based on that, I guess it's on the organization holding the tournament to install the course with their own baskets and possibly teepads. Probably means that the only way to play it would be to sign up for a tournament.
CJ1998
Tree Magnet

Postby Disc Golf Live » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:09 am

Typically, the course goes in shortly before the Am Nats, which is in June nowadays. It varies, but the course is usually only in the ground for a few weeks at best. It usually comes down right after the event, so a casual round before the tourney is about your best bet, short of entering. Last-chance qualifying is possible, I think.

The Metropark system is evaluating Pay to Play at the nearby Hudson Mills courses. Its possible that the Tobo might one day be installed more permanently under such conditions, but only time will tell.

Joe
Joe Wander
Producer and Editor
Disc Golf Live video magazine
www.discgolflive.com
Bringing DG to TV, one community at a time
Disc Golf Live
Tree Magnet

Postby sleepy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:11 am

There's also talk of pulling the existing course at Kensington (called The Tunnel) to give the land time to recover, and installing a new one elsewhere in the park to replace it. Whether or not that means a permanent Toboggan, I don't know (but I kinda doubt it).

Again, this is just what I've heard, and is not to be taken as fact.

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby topcide » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:32 pm

the wife of my roomates buddy who works for the metroparks says that tunnel IS being pulled
topcide
Noob

Postby gremlin75 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:53 pm

topcide wrote:the wife of my roomates buddy who works for the metroparks says that tunnel IS being pulled

Damn, that was the course I first played this great sport on. I'll have to get out there soon and playing it at least one more time before they pull it.

I want to play the Toboggan too, hopfully that will replace the tunnel course when they pull it but like sleepy said, I doubt it
gremlin75
Tree Magnet

Postby Disc Golf Live » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:55 am

That park is so huuuuggggeeee they can find room for a great Tunnel replacement. My guess is that they plan to rotate their courses since there is so much traffic on them.

I doubt the Tobo would ever be permanent, since the area has seasonal use as a sliding hill. But it might make a nice seasonal addition.

My bet would be that they don't do anything dramatic this year as they study what's going on at Hudson Mills re pay to play / yearly pass options.

New courses going in all over the region, its all good!

Joe
Joe Wander
Producer and Editor
Disc Golf Live video magazine
www.discgolflive.com
Bringing DG to TV, one community at a time
Disc Golf Live
Tree Magnet

Postby CJ1998 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:26 pm

I played the tunnel for the first time 2 weeks ago and I enjoyed it. I was looking forward to playing it again. When is it supposed to happen?

I was thinking that some signs would be nice. Now that I know it's probably getting pulled I guess it's a non-issue.

I would hope that Toboggan could be installed for the summer months at least.
CJ1998
Tree Magnet

Postby topcide » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:58 am

perosnally, while toboggon is cool, i think that it is vastly overated.

Dont get me wrong, its extremely difficult proboly the hardest course i ahve ver played,, and has some very unique shots, but also many holea that are just downhill rips and i thinks gets a bit repetative.

with that said, it still is a lot of fun, and i am still looking forward to it this summer.
topcide
Noob

Postby sleepy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:46 pm

topcide wrote:perosnally, while toboggon is cool, i think that it is vastly overated.

While most people in the area would hunt us down for blasphemy, I agree. I like technical courses as much as the next person, but the Toboggan is just too much wear and tear on the old body for me. I don't like feeling like my arm is going to fall off (it's an even tougher course when you only have 320' max D) and I'm going to collapse after playing a round.

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby CJ1998 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:28 pm

Well, the Toboggan has been in for a couple weeks. I just got to play it today. What a HUGE course!

I was definitely not ready for it. I find myself a little too overzealous sometimes. Plus I can't judge distances that well. It's both fun and disheartening to watch your best effort, which you thought would make it at least halfway up the hill, land near the bottom for a measly 310 feet. I would estimate that some of the downhill shots were around 450, and I did throw a Teebird out to 350 (pin high on 16) only to miss two putts and take a 4. (ARRRRRGH!!!!!)

I had fun, though. That's what counts. It won't be long before I can't do crazy stuff like play 9000 feet of DG.

The icing on the cake was that I did not lose any discs, although I began to get worried a couple times.

The course is in until this Sunday, if anyone wants to know.
CJ1998
Tree Magnet

Postby JacksWeather » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:37 am

I personally like killing 2 birds with one stone. Playing DG and getting a good workout. Anyone know if toboggan is still up? If so when they're taking it down? My guess is that its taken down? Anyone know when they're putting up Timber Ridge?
Today seems like a good day to toss a disc or two.
The one for hyzer-flipping, turning over right on que.
I try to throw just like that, but sometimes I really suck.
Some say I need to get the axing, chalk it up to bad luck.
JacksWeather
Noob

Postby SkaBob » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:43 am

The Toboggan's baskets were out 2 weeks after Am Nats. If you find a local that's willing, there're a few people that play it year round as an object course...
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:02 am

Timber is already up from what they've said.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Courses