MO business trip; two cool courses.

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby roman » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:23 pm

My dad lives in Branson and I end up driving down there every few months. I haven't had the time to drive up towards Springfield to check out their courses, but now it seems that I shouldn't even bother? Is the course in Ozark any good? It's not that bad of a drive. I drove by Sunset one night to see what it was all about, but it was so tiny and it was so dark outside that I couldn't imagine there being a disc golf course on such a small plot of land. I figured there was a mistake. If you say there's a course there and it's not bad, I'll stop by next time I visit.

Real shame about the Springfield drama, because there really is some great terrain down there.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Working Stiff » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:56 pm

I have not been to Ozark...The PDGA Course Directory describes it as "great for beginners" which can usually be interpreted as "don't bother," but since I've never been there I can't say for sure. It has 10 holes, 9 under 300 ft. and "heavily wooded" is not in the description :( It does have concrete tees, though. If I was already driving by the area, I'd stop and give it a try. I wouldn't go very far out of my way, though.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby readysetstab » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:40 pm

Real shame about the Springfield drama, because there really is some great terrain down there.

you're right about that, but it's mostly privately owned. that's part of the reason why it's nearly impossible to put in a top notch in the area. all of the good land is taken. i see little parks all around springfield, but none big enough for a course. everytime i'll think to myself "damn... that would be great for like... 4 holes." tom watkins is the biggest park space i've seen there.
readysetstab
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Working Stiff » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:14 am

readysetstab wrote:

you're right about that, but it's mostly privately owned. that's part of the reason why it's nearly impossible to put in a top notch in the area. all of the good land is taken. i see little parks all around springfield, but none big enough for a course. everytime i'll think to myself "damn... that would be great for like... 4 holes." tom watkins is the biggest park space i've seen there.
The official number for Tom Watkins is 20 acres, although it seems smaller than that. There are plenty of larger parks in Springfield.

http://www.parkboard.org/information/ci ... index.html

They are currently developing a park that is 145 acres, but as you said...the City of Springfield is not interested in promoting disc golf based on the problems they have had with beer drinking and pot smoking on the courses they do have. Another thing they will mention is trespassing. Springfield courses for some reason use property lines as obstacles. It may be inadvertent due to poor course design, but one of the biggest challenges at Oak Grove is to keep your disc in the park. With the neighbors houses right there, there is no protection to hide the fact that the guy who just jumped your fence and trespassed in your yard was smoking a joint and drinking a beer. So to play Devil's Advocate...with no revenue from admissions being generated by disc golf for the City and a long history of complaints generated by disc golf, why exactly would Springfield want another disc golf course?

We have a long thread about shenanigans on disc golf courses. The bottom line for me as to why I'd like to see the beer drinking and pot smoking end is that if it did, maybe a place like Springfield would want to develop new courses instead of us begging them for one more chance.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby readysetstab » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:01 pm

well, i'll be first to admit that i really don't know springfield all that well. i see what i see... and that's little parks.

looking at that website, i can see why i never spot the bigger parks. they're mostly on "farm road (fill in the blank)"... so not so much in town. it would be great if some of those could be converted. the other big ones have golf courses and sports facilities of all sorts, so not likely candidates. maybe i'll talk to russ and see if he can negotiate with some of these out of town parks... some of which seem to be county parks rather than city parks. so it's a possibility.
readysetstab
Fairway Surgeon

Previous

Return to Courses