Favorite courses in Houston?

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Favorite courses in Houston?

Postby GorillaTactics » Wed May 07, 2008 1:25 pm

What's up guys,

I'm in Hustletown for work until the end of the week. Any recommendations on where I should try to sneak in a round or two? I've heard Agnes Moffit is pretty nice-I'm staying in the Westchase area - but I'll be driving so much around here for the next couple of days that it doesn't bother me to go a little ways for a good course. Local disc golf addicts let me know your favorites!

Thanks!
GorillaTactics
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby matchu » Wed May 07, 2008 1:53 pm

tom bass in pearland is nice at the moment, as the grass is tolerable.

moffitt it is nice if you like to party in public... as I have been guilty of. but have or am outgrowing. It is a nice course but the ratz can get really annoying see drunk thread. One of the best courses in town has been closed off and is open to residence only. I would go to quaill valley or spring valley pay to play courses. Most others are ho hum pitch and putt or throw between pedestrians.
Synchronize the why’s, the if’s the lies. Shake and sift through the mess. Digress the flesh left is our disguise.

matchu
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby GorillaTactics » Wed May 07, 2008 3:11 pm

Where is Spring Valley? Couldn't find it on PDGA or texasdiscgolf.org websites.

I'll probably check out Moffit this afternoon, as its closest to where I'm staying and I don't really feel like battling rush hour traffic cross town. The kids partying don't bother me so much, as long as the course is nice and there's room to spread out.
GorillaTactics
Fairway Surgeon

Postby GorillaTactics » Thu May 08, 2008 9:12 am

So I played Moffit yesterday, it was fun. The course is mostly wide open with a few baskets placed behind some trees, but I would compare it difficulty-wise to Zilker in Austin. I think it would be a good place to teach somebody how to play as you are at a pretty low risk of losing your disc. Pretty short holes, I think the longest was around 400', with plenty under 300'.

The place was mostly empty, there were a lot more people on the playground and basketball court than the DG course. Winds were severe, felt like 30 mph or so...definitely had a couple of "mystery putts" where my disc would do something that I certainly didn't tell it to. :shock:
GorillaTactics
Fairway Surgeon

Postby matchu » Thu May 08, 2008 10:29 am

cool! where are you playing today? There is a league at moffitt today so it will much more crowded than when you went. Spring valley is off of 45 north in the woodlands area. you can go to the hfds.org site and find directions.
Synchronize the why’s, the if’s the lies. Shake and sift through the mess. Digress the flesh left is our disguise.

matchu
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby GorillaTactics » Fri May 09, 2008 3:51 pm

I got a quick lap in at Nottingham Park yesterday-wanted to make it to one of the nicer courses but didn't have enough daylight. The 12 holes there are fun, but not super challenging - I played from the long tees and still had a few easy birdies (not a claim by any means, I'm not that good!! All of them were under 400') It looks like they recently planted a ton of new trees, so in another year or two the course could very well be totally different.

The park itself was actually pretty nice, green grass and some good shade trees. The only bummer was the amount of litter everywhere-I picked up an entire grocery bag full of trash in 1 round, and I wasn't even trying that hard. It's depressing that people just throw their crap everywhere.

Headed back to Austin tonight, but I look forward to trying out more courses around here next time I'm in the area.
GorillaTactics
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Midnightbiker » Sat May 10, 2008 12:59 pm

Next time anyone is heading to Houston, please PM me. I have played most of the courses in the area, and I live just north of town.
Listen to The Love Doctors on Real Radio 10am-3pm Eastern
Click here
http://www.wzzr.com/pages/the_lovedocs.html
Midnightbiker
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Return to Courses