Cross country drive, need course to play

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Cross country drive, need course to play

Postby discnick » Sat May 10, 2008 7:19 pm

Im driving from Cali to upstate NY next week. Will be driving the northern route through Utah, Colorado(denver), Nebraska, Iowa, Probably stop in Chicago to hang out for the day.
I need some recommendations for a course to hit up on the way. Only going to be able to do one course. Maybe Lemon lake in the Chicago area? I was thinking maybe in the Colorado area, Aspen or snowmass? Anyone know if those courses are open right now? Any other suggestions? Trying to find a best course for the area(preferably 18+ holes).
Thanks
Nick
discnick
Noob

Postby Working Stiff » Sat May 10, 2008 8:35 pm

Lemon Lake is a good call for the Chi-town area. I'm not sure it would be the one place I would pick going across country, but its a really nice facility and I've heard they have made some upgrades recently.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby roman » Sat May 10, 2008 11:35 pm

Hit up Mokena in Illinois before you cross over the border into Indiana to go to Lemon Lake. Also a great course.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby dflaschiii » Sun May 11, 2008 10:38 am

I assume you're taking I80, a drive I've taken a few times, a few areas with multiple nice courses less than 20min off interstate:

Truckee, Tahoe Vista, CA (Vista course easily in my top 5, Truckee literally 5min off interstate)

Salt Lake City , UT

Des Moines, IA (play the courses used for 2004 Worlds)

Iowa City, IA

Davenport, IA (do not miss West Lake, one of the top courses in nation)

Just search those locales on pdga directory and go from there. There's some good ones in Ohio but I can't recall a really nice one just off I80. I'm not as knowledgable about courses in the northeast, but I heard Philly has a high concentration of courses. Played a few in the Syracuse, NY area that were very good, but that's about it.
dflaschiii
Tree Magnet

Postby Working Stiff » Sun May 11, 2008 10:48 am

OK as I'm re-reading this, I take it you are going from Cali to NY and you are only going to play ONE course on the entire trip. YIKES! If I went across country and the only course I played was boring, flat Mokena I'd be pissed!

I'm assuming you are taking I-80, which puts you past Davenport, IA and West Lake Park. http://www.pdga.com/course/courses_by_city.php?id=2804 It's the best in the Midwest. I'd recommend this course over any in this general part of the country. I know they had some issues with flooding in the spring, so you might meed to check the forums here: http://iowadg.com/forum/index.php

But, all I know is the Midwest. You are going through the Rockies, so maybe a Utah/Colorado guy can chime in with an option of some crazy-insane mountainside course that is open this time of year.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby discnick » Sun May 11, 2008 4:52 pm

Guess i should have been more specific. Going from So cal to Rochester NY. So will be taking 15 up to vegas then 70 and 76 Through utah then up to denver colorado. Then 80 over to chicago. Im mostly interested in either doing some mountain course with insane views in the rockies or a course near chicago as we will be taking a short break in chicago to hang out(family- free sleeping).
West lake sounds very do-able as far as schedule goes and thats great theirs a nice campground which we'd probably take advantage of.
Thanks for the input so far.
Any other suggestions?
NIck
discnick
Noob

Postby Working Stiff » Sun May 11, 2008 5:54 pm

discnick wrote:Guess i should have been more specific. Going from So cal to Rochester NY. So will be taking 15 up to vegas then 70 and 76 Through utah then up to denver colorado. Then 80 over to chicago. Im mostly interested in either doing some mountain course with insane views in the rockies or a course near chicago as we will be taking a short break in chicago to hang out(family- free sleeping).
West lake sounds very do-able as far as schedule goes and thats great theirs a nice campground which we'd probably take advantage of.
Thanks for the input so far.
Any other suggestions?
NIck
Where in the Chicago area are you going to be?
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby discnick » Sun May 11, 2008 6:19 pm

Where in the Chicago area are you going to be?

In libertyville. Probably go down to the city to hang out too.

Man west lake looks fun but I'll be with my gf and i'm thinking all that water is gonna get annoying. I'm thinking maybe ewing in des moines iowa. At this point its either that or lemon lake. I cant decide, so many courses to choose from.
discnick
Noob

Postby discndav » Mon May 12, 2008 9:45 am

Solitude Ski Resort near Salt Lake City has a course on a mountain with spectacular views, I threw a Valkyrie 1,200 feet on hole 18. You could catch
I-80 near there too.

Ewing in Des Moines was great in 2004, Lemon Lake is nice too.

South Bend, IN has Rum Village and a few miles away on the same road even though the street changes names is Wilson Pk in Mishawaka, IN both are near I-80/90, I get back home there once a year.
discndav
Noob

Re: Cross country drive, need course to play

Postby Fritz » Mon May 12, 2008 11:05 am

discnick wrote:Im driving from Cali to upstate NY next week. Will be driving the northern route through Utah, Colorado(denver), Nebraska, Iowa, Probably stop in Chicago to hang out for the day.
I need some recommendations for a course to hit up on the way. Only going to be able to do one course. Maybe Lemon lake in the Chicago area? I was thinking maybe in the Colorado area, Aspen or snowmass? Anyone know if those courses are open right now? Any other suggestions? Trying to find a best course for the area(preferably 18+ holes).
Thanks
Nick

You must stop off in Palisade, Colorado and play Riverbend Park. Nothing like throwing disc along the Colorado River. It's about 30 miles from the border of Utah, and it's very easy to get off I-70 and go play.

In Denver go play Badlands in Federal Heights or play Paco's Gulch (Also known as Lakewood Dry Gulch).
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby GorillaTactics » Mon May 12, 2008 11:18 am

discndav wrote:Solitude Ski Resort near Salt Lake City has a course on a mountain with spectacular views, I threw a Valkyrie 1,200 feet on hole 18. You could catch
I-80 near there too.

Ewing in Des Moines was great in 2004, Lemon Lake is nice too.

South Bend, IN has Rum Village and a few miles away on the same road even though the street changes names is Wilson Pk in Mishawaka, IN both are near I-80/90, I get back home there once a year.

All the mountain courses around SLC are covered in snow still. Creekside in Salt Lake itself is a fun course and worth playing. All the ski resort courses will still be closed for months though...its been snowing really late this year.
GorillaTactics
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Return to Courses