northern michigan courses

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

northern michigan courses

Postby topcide » Wed May 14, 2008 11:44 am

Im gonna be up north for memorial day and am looking to check a few courses out for the 2nd year in a row.

last year i did hickory hills (one of the best i have ever played) in traverse city
and i small course in cadillac,

this year im gonna most lijely hit the boyne avalanch, or the other boyne mountain course, and either the course in petosky, or im gonna coninue for an hour north and cross the bridge and play at silver mountain in St. Ignace.

anyone play any of these and have an recommendations to which ones i should hit, or maybe some others you may have played?
topcide
Noob

Postby Smoke » Wed May 14, 2008 6:18 pm

Ludington has some nice courses, and someone said they added in another one there as well.

Beauty, Beast and Goliath are in the Mason County Pumped Storage park, very nice courses. A little bit down the road from them is the Leviathan. I haven't had a chance to play it yet but I have heard lots of good things. Check on this link for more info on those four parks. http://www.ludingtondiscgolf.com/courses.htm

The other course I heard some talk about is in a little campground on your way to the state park. The campground is called The Cartier's, it's right in between a lake and a cemetery
I'm neither a bear, nor a cheetah..I'm a WOLVERINE!

"Must get past the first tree....um the second one too." - Bill
"Start the lawnmower..smack the midget." - D, when talking about how to throw
"No Low Putts!" - Hell if I know
Smoke
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby CJ1998 » Wed May 14, 2008 6:40 pm

I would love it if someone would post some pics of the Ludington courses. I just want to see what they look like.

I want to get up that way sometime and play them. Hopefully early fall or late summer.
CJ1998
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Smoke » Thu May 15, 2008 4:39 pm

I'm going to try and make a trip up there sometime soon, not sure if I will be able to make it to the course or not but if I do I will take some pics.
I'm neither a bear, nor a cheetah..I'm a WOLVERINE!

"Must get past the first tree....um the second one too." - Bill
"Start the lawnmower..smack the midget." - D, when talking about how to throw
"No Low Putts!" - Hell if I know
Smoke
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby Terrence » Sun May 18, 2008 10:11 am

I live in Ludington, so I play the courses here nearly every day. When one of you guys make the trip I'd be delighted to be your DG tour guide. I know this place like the back of my hand. PM me for my phone number. You guys would really enjoy playing here! Leviathan, the newest course, is on the high school cross country property. 18 holes with pro tees (par 65) and amature (par 54) tees. At mason county pumped storage park, Consumer's decided to cut out many of the diseased beechwood and maple trees, so 11 holes on Beauty have changed, but they're already beat in nicely. We've put a lot of effort into cleaning up after the felling of trees.

Also, If you're headed near the Traverse area, play Log Lake Park in Kalkaska. The course is directly across from a campground. Short, tight, and technical. There's another awesome course in nearby Maple City at Myles Kimmerly park.

This photo was taken in September of 2004. This hole is actually number ten now, and it has a concrete tee pad.
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby Roy » Sun May 18, 2008 12:02 pm

Are these courses in the UP or regular michigan?
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby kvanorsdel » Sun May 18, 2008 8:45 pm

When I read Northern MI I instinctively thought you meant the UP Since I live all the way at the tip top of the UP everything in the LP is definitely considered Southern MI. If you want to play the northern most course in MI I think you'll have to head to Houghton, I wish they would have had a course there when I lived there. Same thing happened when I lived in Ashland WI after moving to the UP they built Highbridge :x

Anyways I really want to make it over to the courses in Ludington and hope to next time I'm in the area visiting my brother-in-law.
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Postby cmrichar » Mon May 19, 2008 8:52 am

kvanorsdel wrote: If you want to play the northern most course in MI I think you'll have to head to Houghton, I wish they would have had a course there when I lived there.

Out of curiosity... Has anyone played this course? I am going to be attending MTU and wondered what its like. According to the PDGA its a 9 hole with 7 holes 300-400 ft. A few being wooded a few being open... Sounds like a decent 9.
Chad Richardson
MVP Disc Sports
cmrichar
Tree Magnet

Postby CJ1998 » Mon May 19, 2008 5:52 pm

Terrence wrote:I live in Ludington, so I play the courses here nearly every day. When one of you guys make the trip I'd be delighted to be your DG tour guide. I know this place like the back of my hand. PM me for my phone number. You guys would really enjoy playing here!

My buddy and I are looking into making a trip up there in the late summer/early fall. I'll keep you posted. Especially when we get a little closer (say, August).
CJ1998
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby TheMarz » Tue May 20, 2008 10:27 pm

i plan on either going to Ludington or Flip City or both this weekend, with my girlfriend and a few friends. Speaking of Flip does anyone know if you have to get permission before getting there? I would hate to drive an hour to find out i needed to call ahead first.
TheMarz
Noob

Postby cmlasley » Wed May 21, 2008 6:36 am

TheMarz wrote:i plan on either going to Ludington or Flip City or both this weekend, with my girlfriend and a few friends. Speaking of Flip does anyone know if you have to get permission before getting there? I would hate to drive an hour to find out i needed to call ahead first.

I've never played there without calling ahead. Last time I went I called a few days in advance, and he said, "Sure, come on out whenever." I'm not sure if you can take that literally, though. I'd play it safe and give him a call.

Anyone who is considering playing the Ludington courses should make the effort to play Flip City, too, since it is relatively close, and such a fun course. The Ludington area is dynamite for disc in my opinion.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby Terrence » Sun May 25, 2008 12:13 pm

If someone were driving to ludington from the south, Flip City isn't that much out of the way. I've talked to the guy a few times when he was maintaining the fairways and stuff before the Farm Classic (he does all the upkeep himself). He's cool with respectful disc golfers driving up and throwing a round- he's even set up parking spaces. Anyways, yeah, he really means come out whenever. Flip is such a great course. I don't make it out there nearly often enough for how close I live.
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Return to Courses