Which is better?

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Which is better?

Postby The Clergyman » Sat May 17, 2008 1:43 pm

I'd like to do a poll on this one but only the moderators can activate that :)

So, here's the question ...

Which is better?

1. A 12 hole course that is all par 3.
2. A nine hole course that has 3 par 4's and the rest par 3's.

I'd like to get yur feedback.
Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.
~Dr.Seuss
The Clergyman
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z XL...or not

Postby tumpsi » Sat May 17, 2008 1:48 pm

amount < quality

I'd say nine.
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Midnightbiker » Sat May 17, 2008 1:49 pm

Depends on the kind of players. If you are trying to attract families and first time players, I say go with the 12. If its a course to be used by seasoned disc golfers, I say go with the 9.
Listen to The Love Doctors on Real Radio 10am-3pm Eastern
Click here
http://www.wzzr.com/pages/the_lovedocs.html
Midnightbiker
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby Shaolintrained » Sat May 17, 2008 2:23 pm

It also depends on what kind of land it's on, whether it be heavily populated or relatively private. We have a local course that is 12 holes, par 3 and we're able to set up a back 12, a couple different 18's, and quite a few par 4 and 5 holes used exclusively for tournaments. This way you have a great course a noob can learn on and you've also got enough holes to play some serious golf, all day.
Trade list: http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12798
"Music is my religion" -Jimi Hendrix
Shaolintrained
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beat DX Roc

Postby The Clergyman » Sat May 17, 2008 4:03 pm

Midnightbiker wrote:Depends on the kind of players. If you are trying to attract families and first time players, I say go with the 12. If its a course to be used by seasoned disc golfers, I say go with the 9.

I'd say that the spirit of the thing is always to attract new players. BUT isn't there an argument to be made that the game is moving toward, or should be moving toward, par 4's and 5's? And therefore wouldn't it be a good thing to introduce noobs to that?

Not disagreeing with you on the 12 thing but it would be a core of experienced players only and the rest school groups and noobs.

Also, it's in a pretty well-groomed park. Lot's of pedestrain traffic, but there's still good space to set up around that.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm tending toward the 9 hole option. It's cheaper too!
~Dr.Seuss
The Clergyman
Tree Magnet

Postby The Clergyman » Sat May 17, 2008 4:05 pm

BTW I truly appreciate this forum. Seriously. When I asked this question on my local forum I just got a) no response and b) shot down.
~Dr.Seuss
The Clergyman
Tree Magnet

Re: Which is better?

Postby Dogma » Sat May 17, 2008 5:29 pm

The Clergyman wrote:
1. A 12 hole course that is all par 3.
2. A nine hole course that has 3 par 4's and the rest par 3's.

Can you give more details? Are the par 4-5 holes more interesting (obstacles, turns, etc.) or are they just open holes that are longer than the threes. Personally I like variety. If all the holes on the course seem eerily similar then it becomes less interesting after you play it a few times. On the other hand a course with different types of holes (differing lengths, technical difficulties, elevation, etc.) is less monotonous to play, and has something for everyone. I think that's more important than how many holes there are.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby The Clergyman » Sat May 17, 2008 5:56 pm

Ultimately I think the 9 hole is more interesting. One reason is certainly because it does indeed allow for a couple of longer holes.
One of the par 4's would be the course's signature hole and I want to keep it (the other option is to break it up). It requires a long and accurate drive and an accurate approach. I love holes that require deft appraoch shots and most (if not all) par 3's do not.
Another par 4 is really just open and then you need to go around a tree stand just before the green. So it's pretty basic.
Another starts out in the open and the next half is wooded. In order to get into the wooded part you need to set yourself up properly.
So ... I think there is good variety.
~Dr.Seuss
The Clergyman
Tree Magnet

Return to Courses