Dallas courses...

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Dallas courses...

Postby plastic_fondler » Fri May 30, 2008 7:56 am

I will be in Dallas in mid June for work for a few days and thought I'd ask for any local opinions or heads up for potential course closures. I will only be in town from Monday to Friday and want to hit the cream of the crop. My tentative schedule:

Tuesday - Z Boat
Wednesday - Vets for the mini - is this dubs or singles?
Thursday - Cedar Hill

Circle R is just too far of a drive. Thanks for your opinions and/or help.

...nick
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: firebird

Postby RustyP » Fri May 30, 2008 9:38 am

Cedar Hill - hells yes! (my former home course...beautiful spot. Mostly technical shots. Hole 18 on the Coyote course is my comp desktop at work :) )

ZBoaz - definitely! (pretty challenging, good crowd, nice mix of shots, on many touring pro's top 10 list)

Veterans - very fun course (there are some holes on the back 9 that are a little weak, but overall its a cool course)

Others you should check out:

Harry Myers Park - Rockwall, TX (east of Dallas) - I'm begging you, play this course! Well manicured, Houck design, awesome par 4s and 5s (hole 3 from the longs is incredible)

Bicentennial Park - Crowley, TX (not far from Ft Worth) - very challenging, up and coming course. 3 sets of tees, some very unique shots, great mix.

Unfortunately I don't know about any of the weeknight minis...
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby geoloseth » Fri May 30, 2008 10:25 am

Yes, go with the "big three" - zboaz, cedar hill, and vet. If you have time for others I would tell you to make the trip to mesquite. Its a new course and even though the city installers messed up about half the holes it is still a nicer course than Rockwall. But Rockwall and mesquite are close enough that you can hit both in the same day.

If you need a playing partner hit me up. I've played enough times with great guys when I traveled for work so I feel like I should pay it back somehow.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby RustyP » Fri May 30, 2008 11:56 am

yea, i forgot about Paschall in Mesquite...is that the one you're talking about geoloseth? There's another one at DeBusk park that i havent played yet.

I got to check out Paschall from the longs a few weeks ago when i was in town...definitely a fun course! I dont know if i'd say its better than Rockwall, just because Paschall has a few wide open, no-challenge holes...but thats just a matter of personal preference.....definitely worth checking out! Gary Duke did a great job there!
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby geoloseth » Fri May 30, 2008 12:09 pm

RustyP wrote:yea, i forgot about Paschall in Mesquite...is that the one you're talking about geoloseth? There's another one at DeBusk park that i havent played yet.

I got to check out Paschall from the longs a few weeks ago when i was in town...definitely a fun course! I dont know if i'd say its better than Rockwall, just because Paschall has a few wide open, no-challenge holes...but thats just a matter of personal preference.....definitely worth checking out! Gary Duke did a great job there!

Yes, I'm talking about Paschall. From talking with Gary Duke the city did make some mistakes putting in the alot of the holes. The last two were not supposed to be just open field/practice type shots. and some of the teepads and pins were put in the wrong places. But, Houck designed Rockwall exactly the way it is, unfortunately he designed the course near the end of a 3 year drought (from what I've been told) and so a good four holes never really drain, there is TONS of poison ivy (Some guys I know won't go near the course anymore), and there are some just plain poorly designed holes. Not to mention that the course is set up in a basin so no matter how calm it is outside the park you're almost guaranteed to have sustained 10 to 15 mph winds. That being said I think the course has real potential if those problems are fixed. And Hole 3 is a gorgeous hole that should be considered the signature hole of the course.

I think once they get the course put in the way it was supposed to be (if that happens) then Paschall in Mesquite will be more of a championship level course than Rockwall. Most of the holes require good amount of control, all you have to do is throw in some OB tape on the wide open ones and you're set.

Just my $.02
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Re: Dallas courses...

Postby plastic_fondler » Fri May 30, 2008 12:17 pm

Thanks guys. My June is shaping up to be quite a nice disc golf month thanks to work. I'll be hitting a nice mix of courses through out the month including norcal, toboggan and hudson mills, dallas area ones and then paw paw. I've started playing every day so my arm will not fall off.

Thanks for the offer geoloseth, I'll let you know.

cheers!
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Postby RustyP » Fri May 30, 2008 3:29 pm

Paw Paw, WV? I'm jealous! That's on my "must play someday" list...

hope you enjoy the DFW! If your travels ever take you to Texarkana or Shreveport, hit me up.
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby plastic_fondler » Fri May 30, 2008 8:17 pm

yeah..I have a good friend that lives out in the sticks of WV..so I play Spencer's courses as much as I can. I was just back two weekends ago and had my first round with Spencer and my first paw paw birdie.
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Donkeypuncher » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:38 pm

Audubon Park is another good course to check out, if you're close to the garland area. Veterans is a good course, but it's a killer on hot days.
200, and 40 dollars......a worth a puddin'
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby RustyP » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:33 pm

Donkeypuncher wrote:Audubon Park is another good course to check out, if you're close to the garland area. Veterans is a good course, but it's a killer on hot days.

Audubon is awesome...first course I ever played, and the only one i played my first year of disc golf. But I thought 4-5 holes were recently pulled for construction??
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Return to Courses