Bryan/College Station, TX

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby geoloseth » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:00 pm

I forgot about sodolaks. That would be a good choice for chicken fried steak.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby tim » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:56 pm

The last time I was down in CS (probably 6 weeks ago), Lemontree was missing two baskets. We looked and noticed that NONE of the baskets have locks on them -- they are each held in with a simple bolt. A ratchet and about 20 seconds would have any basket out of the ground.

When I realized this, what was amazing to me was the ANY baskets were still in the ground at Lemontree -- its a college town and the Lemontree baskets are all relatively near roads with decent tree cover if you wanted to walk away with one.

Lemontree is decently fun if you play with a putter. Only course I've ever played where I had two aces in one day (back to back 9-hole rounds).

At this point, the Research Park course could really use some work -- they have decent land, but the course doesn't use it nearly to its potential.

The Wolf Pen course does use the land it has well, but it's not a great piece of land -- way too much wide open shots. If I had to drive 30 mins to get there, I wouldn't bother.

The Austin Colony course is fun -- some cool shots -- but several of the holes get really swampy if its rained at all. Wear Teva sandals or something if it's rained in the past two weeks.

The little dinker course behind the apartments that was referred to (can't remember the name) is actually a lot of fun if you Safari it. The area has lots of good trees, some minor elevation changes, a decent creek, various other OB, and not many people. Probably the most fun/challenging rounds I've played in Bryan/CS have been on that little course, doing some creative Safari holes that are only possible because we're the only group out there playing. So if you get creative there, you can have a really good time.

The Camelot course was by far my favorite CS course, so I hope they put it back in. It was flat, but it was really well designed and fun to play with a great mix of shots and a couple of true par 4s worked into the design...

Depending on how long you are in Texas, though, there are some much better courses within 60-90 minutes of CS if you've got time...
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Midnightbiker » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:36 pm

Thanks for all the info. I am not sure if I am going to make it there or not. I just found out I will be in Brenham instead of College Station. I have heard and seen the course in Brenham, and it does lot look worth playing. I am debating if I should bother driving up to College Station, or should I just do it another time when I am actually there. I will have to think about it. If anyone wants to play, I will be there Thursday afternoon, June 12th. Pm me if so.
Listen to The Love Doctors on Real Radio 10am-3pm Eastern
Click here
http://www.wzzr.com/pages/the_lovedocs.html
Midnightbiker
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby geoloseth » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:38 pm

If you do decide to make the trip to CS and research park isn't too busy I could give you the layout from the monster fling course. It was alot of fun and one of the most demanding coirse layouts that I've played. I think they only used 3 temp baskets. So the course would doable.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Disc Retrieval

Postby stephenspann27 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:39 pm

My friends and I lost a couple disc to the ponds and research park.. I was wondering if any of you guys had tried to go in after them? I've heard bad things about the water.... I put one leg in right by the bank and I couldn't touch the bottom.. comments?
stephenspann27
Noob

Postby geoloseth » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:40 pm

I have fished out many discs from the pond by 1/18 many times when I was living down in CS. I would make sure however that you don't go in with any larger open sores or what not. I've seen some dogs that people let swim in the ponds that ended up with some nasty looking infections from wounds that were exposed to the water.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby J. Ray » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:36 pm

Yep, No doubt-

Fished quite a few out myself. There's some kind of black plastic lining along the bottom of the pond, not sure what it's for, but discs will sometimes get swept underneath it making them impossible to find. Also, there's ducks swimming around the pond that could make for some nasty avian diseases if you're not careful.
J. Ray
Noob

Postby geoloseth » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:19 pm

Like J Ray said there is plastic covering the bottom of the ponds (I think its used in the filtration system to keep sediment out) but in some areas there is chain link fence material underneath or above it to hold it in place. I wouldn't go in barefooted unless you have to. I've gotten stabbed by that crap more than I wild have liked to.

The ducks are the problem because of all thecrap they bring with them, the standing water situation, and the poor filtration system.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Previous

Return to Courses