The Grange

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

The Grange

Postby roadkill » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:18 pm

I finally got myself down to Spotsylvania, VA for the Virginia Open at the Grange.
Maybe some of you have played here either in the Two Days in May event or the Old Dominion tournaments. For those of you who haven't I'll fill you in.

The Grange is private property owned by musician, disc golfer and all around great guy, Mike Trapasso. It features two disc golf courses and a par 2 tiki golf course which is playable at night thanks to neon lights threaded through the baskets.

The Sunnyside course is 2/3 in the woods and 1/3 in the open. The open holes feature drastic elevation changes. There are a few difficult tight wooded holes that could sting you but overall it's difficulty pales in comparison to the Darkside.

The Darkside is very tight and while the fairways are very fair the rough is so unforgiving that any drive off the fairway is pretty much an instant 4 or worse. If you're more than a few feet in the rough the only sane play is a putt back to the fairway. I don't care how good you think your thumber, tomahawk or forehand roller is most of the time you'll turn a 4 into a 5,6,7 or worse if you insist on going for the green from in the rough.

You may know that the Darkside is the course that the highest rated round ever in tournament play was shot by Brian Skinner last year with his 41. After playing this course I think it should have been rated closer to 1150. You have to really be on your game to get more than 5-6 birdies here and he got 14 of them, the fact that he only got one 4 is also amazing and witnesses said his par putt lipped out on that one. There is currently a $2000 bounty on anyone who beats this record. Most people will tell you this money should be safe for a very, very long time.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Re: The Grange

Postby Rob » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:09 am

roadkill wrote: It features two disc golf courses and a par 2 tiki golf course which is playable at night thanks to neon lights threaded through the baskets.

The tiki course sounds sooo sweet. Drinking a few and playing a pitch and putt course lit up with neon lights, damn. I always wondered if there was something like that somewhere. How was it?
Rob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby roadkill » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:45 am

It was great. This year they even had a separate tiki golf event. It was set up similiar to the NCAA tournament where you had people play head to head in a match play format, single elimination. The winner won over $500. Not bad for a $10 entry.

Every evening there were many casual pairings headed onto the tiki course with a beverage in one hand and their putter in the other. Meanwhile, a band on stage played a mix of old classic standbys along with some new original music. If you saw me, I usually opted to feed my face with some quesadillas or ribs from the Two Days in May Cafe.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:14 pm

i agree with all the dankness associated with the grange.
if you ever find yourself in northern virginia you should most definately check it out. I like it because it is challenging but also not incredibly insane like some courses aka the whippin post in PAW PAW WV. I hear that Hawk Hallow is also a sweet course in spotsy but it is private and I believe you will need permission. Loriella is often spoken about here in MD.

Word of advice, beware of the VA fuzz
They DO NOT play arround
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby Rickg » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:05 am

There are still some am spots available for the VA Open held at the Grange over Memorial Day weekend. Registration and details available at www.grangediscgolf.com.
Rickg
Tree Magnet

Postby deaddisc » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:22 am

I checked out the site but cant find any course map/info, could you please post something regarding that. I am from MA, but this matches up with a very long weekend for me so this tourney may be a possibility. Also, is there camping at the course?
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Rickg » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:36 am

There is camping at the course. It asks about lodging preferences on the PDF flyer(registration form). As far as a course map, I don't know if one exists. The holes are are really easy to find. Someone will have to direct you to the first tee on the Darkside, but after that, everything is well marked. Now that the pro side is filled, I don't think it will take long to fill the am.
Rickg
Tree Magnet

Postby some call me...tim? » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:39 am

uNicedmeMan wrote:Word of advice, beware of the VA fuzz
They DO NOT play arround

That is for damn sure. I'm originally from VA so know about the po-po all too well. I've heard that VA has the highest per capita number of cops, and 95% of the ones I've encountered are power tripping asses. If you get pulled over and look even vaguely suspicious (like say, wearing a tie dye shirt), they'll probably want to search your car.

Just as an example of the mentality...my dad and I got written up for neglecting to pay the $1 fee at the course in Newport News. It wasn't purposeful, we didn't see a sign saying anything and there was nobody in the booth in the parking lot. As it turned out, there was a piece of paper tacked up on the bulletin board saying that it was a pay-to-play course, and the office was back out of the main gate, down the road a quarter mile through a secondary gate. Fortunately for us, since it was the holiday season, the cops were in "a giving mood" so let us off with a warning. If they were feeling less generous though, it would've been something like $100 for the ticket + court costs. I'm glad the police are doing their jobs though, wouldn't want too many people to play a round of disc golf with their dads illegally.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby deaddisc » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:16 pm

Is the tiki tourney on both sat and sunday night? I think im gonna make the trip, seems like it is gonna be worth it to me.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby roadkill » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:23 pm

deaddisc wrote:Is the tiki tourney on both sat and sunday night? I think im gonna make the trip, seems like it is gonna be worth it to me.

I believe the preliminary rounds are saturday and the finals are sunday.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Glock23 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:27 pm

I wish I could justify 13 hours of driving...this sounds like a blast.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby deaddisc » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:07 am

Glock23 wrote:I wish I could justify 13 hours of driving...this sounds like a blast.

Im gonna go 9 hours for this, so long as I can talk my friend into it too so we can split the gas money. Hopefully he decides soon so we prereg and not get shut out.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby roadkill » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:31 am

Glock23 wrote:I wish I could justify 13 hours of driving...this sounds like a blast.

13 hours? From Ohio?

I wouldn't think it would be that long. Is that according to Mapquest or google? Spotsy is about 6-7 hours at most from Pittsburgh. I would think you'd be able to get to Pittsburgh in less than 5 hrs from anywhere within Ohio's borders.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Glock23 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:51 am

Round trip. I think it would take me 6-7 hours from Ohio, maybe more. Either way it is more than I can justify to my wife. lol.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby roadkill » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:24 pm

Bring her along. I think she'd enjoy herself, it's a great time even if you're not there to play.

There are live bands that play at night on a real stage. There's a swimming pool, hot tub, a free video arcade and my favorite: the two days in may cafe which serves absolutely incredible food all day and nearly all night long.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Courses