Planning a weekend trip to Austin

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Planning a weekend trip to Austin

Postby Midnightbiker » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:31 pm

I am thinking about taking a weekend trip to Austin in September for my birthday. I have never really spent anytime there, and I would like to visit the Disc Nation store and try to hit at least 3 courses while I am there.

Could someone tell me if there are any Holiday Inns or Holiday Inn Expresses near any disc golf courses? My wife gets a huge discount at Holiday Inn.

Also, I don't have a big arm, so I am not a huge fan of long shots over or around water hazards. Which courses would be the best for me to play while I am there? I know Sept. is a ways off, but if I book my hotel now, I get a really good discount.

Also, if anyone in the area would like to play a round and show me some of the courses I would be greatful.
Listen to The Love Doctors on Real Radio 10am-3pm Eastern
Click here
http://www.wzzr.com/pages/the_lovedocs.html
Midnightbiker
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby disc junkie » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:46 pm

Yo yo yofirst off im not exactly helpful with the hotel question, however you really cant go wrong with locale due to the fact there are courses everywhere. About 20+ courses within 30 miles of downtown austin.

I would be more than happy to play as many rounds with you as youd like to play. There is a great course like 2 minutes from disc nation called mary moore searight. I also would recommend pease park, cricle c, twin parks country club (free for first time visit) plus many others.

Also you really need to play Wilco it cost a buck but itll be the best dollar you ever spent!

I know its a long ways a way but hit me up any time youre in the area and if can be there to play i will.
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby GorillaTactics » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:27 pm

I would just try to find a hotel kind of centrally located...Disc Nation is south, as are Searight and Circle C parks, Pease is central (campus area), and up north has such gems as Williamson County (wilco), Brushy Creek, and Old Settler's. Austin really isn't that big, so if you can find something central you can go wherever you want and it won't be too far. Steeplechase in Kyle (about 20 mins south of Disc Nation) is worth checking out, too.

Hit us up when you're headed this way, if I'm in town I'd be stoked to play DG tour guide. DiscJunkie will probably come too and make us both look bad :shock: :lol:
GorillaTactics
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby geoloseth » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:14 pm

Im heading down to Austin tomorrow for a wedding. Does anyone know if circle c is open for pay to play rounds? I've only really remember playing pease park and zilker park. I want to hit up a good, fun, challenging course. Ill have to look up the info that disc junkie posted. I've never played wilco but I'm willing to spend a few bucks to play a quality course. If anyone has any suggestions or wants to play a round or two, let me know.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby GorillaTactics » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:23 pm

Circle C is public...and check your PM's. :D
GorillaTactics
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Leopard » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:48 pm

i'm down for doubles tomorrow (friday) in Kyle ... $30 / team ... nice payout.
haven't confirmed a partner yet... start yer bidding. i have the cheat codes.. we can't lose!

anyone else playing the HOTT Kyle Open on saturday, i'll see you there.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby geoloseth » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:54 pm

I typed up some PM's for disc junkie and Gorilla but they're still sitting in the outbox. I was just informed that the wedding is on friday at 6 so that rules out that day. The only time that I'll have to play is early morning because I have to get back to the hotel to pick up my girlfriend and check out by 11. The hotel we're staying at is about 10 miles from Wilco.

Does anyone know when Wilco opens up on Saturdays? if it's open early anyone want to play a round?
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby disc junkie » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:55 pm

no HOTT tourney for me unfortunately :(

Dont worry Gorrila or Midnight I wouldnt make you look bad, I'd just help bring on the good times!

Gorrila gave you good location advice midnight if you can get central youll be on the gravy train to biscuitville cause youll be able to get to most courses in 30 minutes or less!
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby geoloseth » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:59 pm

This is a little bit off topic, but the woman want's to do something other than disc golf later in the day. Anyone have some good suggestions for things we can do.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby disc junkie » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:44 pm

it all depends on what yall like...there are some great bars(flying saucer...draught house) and resaurants....a lot of them have live music fri-sun well most days you can catch a show. you can rent a kayak and paddle down town lake right through downtown and by zilker park pretty much which is cool, but a workout.

if your into clubs 6th street is always bad ass on friday and saturday if yall dont mind a bunch of drunk people...there are more bars and clubs than you could go to in one night so there is plenty to do there.
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby Leopard » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:45 pm

geoloseth wrote:the woman.. something other than disc golf

bwahaha... u got woman'd

Alamo Drafthouse for a nice movie date (think $50 for dinner + movie) ... get sloshed and stuffed while you watch a movie... really fun place. their special events are awesomer than regular movies.

6th street ... TONS of bars, closed-off streets.. good times. great place to get blasted or watch the craziness. some really great bars for any taste.

look into the shows going on that night... bound to be something interesting. lots of venues downtown and around town.

women like to walk around South Congress for some reason. (no guys, i'm not talkin about the hookers... i mean chicks like to look in all the zany little shops)

so yeah... that's pretty much the austin nightlife. drafthouse, bar scene, music scene. that austin chronicle website will be a great help in finding stuff to do.

if there's daylight, zilker park... south congress... guadalupe street ("the drag" adjacent to UT campus)... the capital building (booo hiss), bla bla bla.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Postby geoloseth » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:25 pm

Ive been to the draft house mny times. I've topped getting the buckets of beer because I'd have to take a piss during the good parts of the movie. I don't think were going to stay late. Maybe leave late afternoon early evening. I'll check into congress street.

Thanks for the tips. Anymore ideas lets know.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby GorillaTactics » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:47 pm

Congress has some great boutiques, and you should go eat at Magnolia Cafe if hunger strikes. Mmm...giant omelets....

The bar scene is good, don't be afraid to go a bit off 6th street and explore (the dives are a lot more fun than the fratty bars, IMO). Like ZAM said you can pretty much find good live music no matter what your genre preferences.

Not sure how "outdoorsy" your girl is but you can always go rent a canoe and cruise around on Town Lake, good way to stay out of the heat and still be outside. Of course the Barton Springs pool is at Zilker, super refreshing (water's always cold) and there's a diving board!! Also a 9 hole course at Zilker that is somewhat underrated if you can sneak in a lap or two.
GorillaTactics
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Leopard » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:04 pm

magnolia cafe and the several kerbey lane cafes ... all night food = sweetness

ugh, i have weird flashbacks thinking about those giant pancakes (kerbey). humans weren't made for pancake meals like that. why is it that all-night places always have something giant?
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Postby geoloseth » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:09 pm

I remember eating at Magnolia when I was living down there. Now I miss their pancakes and omelets. We're very outdoorsy (both of us were geology majors in college). I would love to go canoing or kayaking but I'm not sure how much time we'll have to lounge around on saturday. If it were just me I would spend as much time at the DG course as I could.

I think I might take her to Chuy's since she keeps telling me about it even though I've told her I've been there a bunch.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Courses