Augusta, GA area courses

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Augusta, GA area courses

Postby the invisible tree » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:15 pm

Patriots Park (hereafter referred to as Gumball park)

This is my home park and where I played my first ever round of DG. The posted par is 58 which increases to a 59 for tournaments when the dinky par 3 hole 5 is moved back to make a 460ft right turning par 4 with an OB road and ball field surrounding it. It's got a good mix of open and wooded holes with a bias towards the woods. Most of the back nine plays along side a creek that does come into play. I'll describe a few of my favorite holes ranked in order of preference.

Hole 14
Par 4 with a posted distance of 340ft.
The first ~ 260 feet is a relatively straight tunnel shot with a fairway around 12 ft wide and a ceiling of around 15 ft. At the 250 ft. mark the hole cuts left at a 60 degree angle across the aforementioned creek. The gap to hit if one wants to clear the creek is around 8ft. wide. There is about a 6 foot drop down to the stream at this spot and the ditch is ~20 ft. wide. After clearing the creek the hole runs slightly up hill for the next 55 ft. The fairway widens back to 10 ft before narrowing down to around 8ft. near the basket. With 5ft. to go there is a little hill the top of which is around 3 ft. above the previous gently sloping fairway which levels onto a little plateau where the basket sits maybe 3ft. behind a sweetgum tree which bisects the fairway just at the top of the little plateau. There is about 10 ft. of clear area behind the basket and about 4ft. to the left and right of it. There's also a fat vine growing up the left side of the sweetgum tree that sticks out a bit which serves to widen the effective width of this tree. That tree catches lots of runs at an eagle 2 for those that can clear the creek. There is thick vegetation and foliage along the entire length of the hole. I've never gotten a 2 but there is an outside chance of it with a perfect drive and a long, difficult putt. Threes aren't tough if a player has the accuracy to clear the creek. I've seen plenty of fives, and sixes too.
Has anyone read this far that can picture this hole in their mind's eye? I'll try to get a picture of this one. :D

Hole 18
Par 3 with a posted distance of 350ft.
The player tees off from a box elevated around 8 ft. above the main playing surface about 5 ft from the woods on the left. The first ~320 are wide open (fairway around 30ft. wide) but with thick woods on either side. There is a nice overgrown, swampy snake pit (lots of snakes on this course(go Hawks!)) type area that starts about 50ft. out and ends about 200 ft. out. At the 320ft. mark the hole cuts right into the woods at a roughly 50 degree angle. The gap into the clearing in the woods is around 8 ft. wide and about 20ft. high. If a player goes long past the gap a tomahawk or spike hyzer through a very tight gap is possible to save 3. A three isn't hard for a player with any distance but the attempt for a 2 is sooooo tempting :!: I've not seen anyone besides myself take a 2 on this hole. 8) A turnover that hits the gap into the woods is a thing of beauty.

Hole 9
par 3 with a posted distance of 250 ft.
The first ~ 75 ft. are open but the ideal line runs just a few feet from the thick woods to the left. At the 75 ft. mark the hole dives about 80 degrees to the left. There is a fat branch that marks the upper limit of the hole about 7 ft. above the playing surface with thicker foliage above that no shot would sneak through, even during winter. The gap between the small trees and plants on the left and the fat pine that mark the right side of the gap is only about 6ft. wide. but widens out to around 8 ft. after that. The hole goes down a 30 degree grade for the next 150 feet before flattening out. There is a big tree of some sort at the bottom of this hill on the left side of the fairway (such that it is) and some smaller trees on the right side. About 5 feet behind the basket is a drop off that runs towards a creek about 15 ft. behind the basket.

My favorite thing about this course is the overall challenge and variety of shots (ex. there is a 755ft. very slightly downhill hole for you long bombers). This course will test every shot that you've got. It's also fairly out of the way and although it's in a park, it's not running through the main park area so pedestrians aren't much of a problem. Even though the course plays mostly through woods the undergrowth isn't too bad so lost discs aren't a huge problem. My least favorite thing are the motherfrickin gumballs!

I'll profile the other courses in my area in the coming week(s). Can anyone imagine the holes that I've attempted to describe or should I just drop those for my upcoming profiles. I'll try to add some pictures as well.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:28 pm

sounds aswome, but its hard to play it in my head w/ o pictures ;-)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby the invisible tree » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:35 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:sounds aswome, but its hard to play it in my head w/ o pictures ;-)

I'm definitely planning on trying to borrow a digital camera and augmenting this post with pics. I never thought about how hard it is to describe a hole using only words.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:55 pm

you didnt do a bad job at all, and im excited for pics.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby the invisible tree » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:14 pm

A guy is putting together a nice website about the local courses. The website is www.augustadiscgolf.com . There are pictures of the various holes. The Lake Olmstead pictures aren't right, though. They're of Patriots Park. Olmstead is where I've been playing most lately followed by Riverview and then Patriots Park. Check out hole 3 at Riverview, aka the worst hole in Augusta. I cannot count the number of perfect shots I've made on this hole that hit a root and skip to god knows where.

Edit: also check out hole 7 at Riverview. An otherwise fine hole that somehow manages to have water running across the tee about 50% of the time I show up.

another edit: The distances at Patriots Park and Olmstead are fairly accurate. The listed distances at Riverview are somewhat random.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Postby S Brown » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:45 am

IT-

Have you been to Still Water Farms?

Me and buddy went up there on Saturday. Only golfers on the "farm" and the OB stakes are left in place to make it an awesome challenge from the gold tees.

$5 on the honor system, and play all day. What a blast.

Heard rumors it is being sold and consequently shut down? :cry:

We plan on making this trip from Bluffton at least once a month.
:D
SB
S Brown
Noob

Postby the invisible tree » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:55 pm

S Brown wrote:IT-

Have you been to Still Water Farms?

I haven't yet but it sounds like I ought to get out there soon. There are still so many courses around here that I haven't gotten to yet, which is a good thing in my book.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Postby the invisible tree » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:40 pm

He's gotten the pictures of Lake Olmstead up now. It's my favorite in the area currently. Check it out.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Postby the invisible tree » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:00 pm

Dola, If you do nothing else check out hole 17 at Lake Olmstead. I watched Barry Schultz got a two on this hole at Worlds.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Courses