Waterworks Park - Kansas City, MO

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Waterworks Park - Kansas City, MO

Postby Pagan » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:25 pm

http://www.playdg.com/waterworks/

I played this course while on a trip to pickup my daughter for the summer. This course was a thrill and a challenge to play. When we pulled in and spotted the practice basket I knew we were in for a treat.

18 holes of eleavatio challenges, thickly wooded OBs, and I actually got to use distance drivers on most of the holes (we only have three holes over 340' on our course)! I left feeling tired, taxed, and thrilled. Looking forward to playing it again in a few months.

Pagan
Wizard, Buzzz!, Sabre, Avenger
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Average Controlled Drives ~ 330'
Max Make Putt Range ~ 60'
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Postby daevidcardiac » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:24 pm

ive heard that course is pretty cool
yuk
daevidcardiac
Noob

Postby mothrows » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:14 pm

I live about an hour and a half north of K.C and out of the 30 courses I've played it is definitely my favorite. It feels like your in your own disc golf world.
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby Timko » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:06 am

I was in KC last weekend, and played 3 rounds at the waterworks. Aside from the amazing elevation changes, I really liked how sloped the greens are. It forces you to really think about going for that 35 ft putt, because if you miss, there is some very rough roll away that you can get. I tried to get a 40 footer when I was there, put it 10 ft past, and watched it roll another 50. But anytime I'm going through, I'm going to try and play there (as well as Blue Valley, which I understand is just a bigger waterworks).
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Mark56 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:58 pm

Furthur wrote:I was in KC last weekend, and played 3 rounds at the waterworks. Aside from the amazing elevation changes, I really liked how sloped the greens are. It forces you to really think about going for that 35 ft putt, because if you miss, there is some very rough roll away that you can get. I tried to get a 40 footer when I was there, put it 10 ft past, and watched it roll another 50. But anytime I'm going through, I'm going to try and play there (as well as Blue Valley, which I understand is just a bigger waterworks).

I haven't been playing long. I normally just play in California Trail 9 Hole and then Prarie Center Park for those of your who live in Kc. Whats this you say about Blue Valley, is there another course I don't know about?
Mark56
Noob

Postby mothrows » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:12 pm

This is a good place to start.

http://www.kcfdc.org/courses.html

or for all the kansas courses

http://www.kansasdiscgolf.com/kdga/
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby Timko » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:53 pm

Mark56 wrote:
Furthur wrote:I was in KC last weekend, and played 3 rounds at the waterworks. Aside from the amazing elevation changes, I really liked how sloped the greens are. It forces you to really think about going for that 35 ft putt, because if you miss, there is some very rough roll away that you can get. I tried to get a 40 footer when I was there, put it 10 ft past, and watched it roll another 50. But anytime I'm going through, I'm going to try and play there (as well as Blue Valley, which I understand is just a bigger waterworks).

I haven't been playing long. I normally just play in California Trail 9 Hole and then Prarie Center Park for those of your who live in Kc. Whats this you say about Blue Valley, is there another course I don't know about?

http://www.pdga.com/course/courses_by_city.php?id=2312

I don't know much about it really, other than some people in KC that showed me the courses told me if I have a free day or so (they said at least 4 hours to play with a group of 4 or so), that it's worth checking out. pdga directory has the yardage listed at 11049, so it's a big boy!
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Coldpunk » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:18 pm

When I first saw the black and white picture of the course layout online I was pretty skeptical, it looked like most other courses. Then I got out there and played on my way to KCI a few months back. It was definitely a great time, and ver challenging, after the first 7 holes I stopped trying to keep track of my score, I bet it was tripple digits. The way it sloped you had to be careful not to throw past the basket because putting back down to it was almost a certain 50-75ft roll down a hill if you missed. Anyone driving through Missouri should definitely stop and play, its pretty close to the highway. Other good Missouri courses if you're driving through:

Marshall-about halfway to Columbia from KC. Gorgeous course, lots of elevation changes(on one hole you tee off over a little valley to the pin about 400' across on the top of the other side), and several tunnel like tee shots through trees.

Albert-Oakland park in Columbia- This is my home course, there are two in the park an older short course(the front course), and a beautiful wooded back course. I usually play the back, its a really fun course. A creek winds through and comes into play on seven holes, and theres a pond that you have to throw over twice.

Quail Ridge- probably my favorite course I've played so far. Outside St. Louis in Wentzville. It was designed by David McCormack and has the gateway Titan baskets. Those baskets will catch anything. It's got some huge ravines you have to drive over, through woods. Alot of this course is in the woods, but its the best kind of woods. Lots of trees to be wary of, but very little underbrush to lose your disc in. I played the ace race there last fall and I went back several times before it started getting all snowy.
Coldpunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby domromer » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:08 pm

Thats a really nice looking course. Love the rolling hills.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby x-out » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:01 pm

Coldpunk wrote:Marshall-about halfway to Columbia from KC. Gorgeous course, lots of elevation changes(on one hole you tee off over a little valley to the pin about 400' across on the top of the other side), and several tunnel like tee shots through trees.

sweet:)much love 4 the 1st course i've ever played :!: more people need to hit up that course and search for the longer, harder pro tees that make the course almost impossible. i'm actually heading back to the good ol' mo in a few weeks 8) i'm definitely going to waterworks and marshall, but i'm looking for some more courses. anyone have some good suggestions, or is waterworks the end all be all?
its a game of mistakes. whoever can make the least amount of mistakes wins.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby readysetstab » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:30 am

i've played most of the courses in kc. i usually play waterworks anytime i'm in the area. it's very challenging but still a par 54. if you hit par you're playing well, and under par is really nice. that's the kind of course i like.

swope is a very fun course. a lot of different shots and tight fairways. not in the woods, but plenty of trees to define the fairways. lots of different placements, just like at waterworks. i think they have swope gold set up at all times now if you want to play it rather than the regulars.

blue valley is just a monster course. if you don't have a big drive, you probably won't score well there. i think there's something like 12 holes longer than 400'. definitely a course to sit back and watch the pros do what you can't.

cliff drive is another challenging course in the area. about half of the course is extremely wooded and the other half is open and still very tough. in the wooded portion, you have a lot of elevation changes. drop offs (cliffs). if you throw away from the fairway much you can expect a 7 or 8 on that hole.

rosedale is another great course. if you need to practice your forehand, this is the place to do it. it's a lefty course. the whole course, minus a couple holes, runs along a lot of woods always to the right. no big right handed hyzers here. i love the course though. very challenging for a righty.

wyandotte county is an open course, but still has plenty of big trees to tell you where to throw. to make up for being fairly open, the holes are pretty long. big drives score well here, just like at blue valley, but this course is much more manageable. you'll use every shot in your bag at this course. a roller is a must.

i think that's all that i've played. all of these courses are great. if you aren't aware, worlds 2009 (both am and pro) will be held in KC. if you've played there much at all, you'll understand why. some of the best courses you'll ever play and all within about 20-25 minutes of each other (wyandotte is a little further).
readysetstab
Fairway Surgeon

Postby x-out » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:20 pm

any Missouri locals going to be on the kansas city courses between oct 10-15? i'm planning on making myself a park rat on my vacation.
its a game of mistakes. whoever can make the least amount of mistakes wins.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Return to Courses