Suggestions for Weeklong Roadtrip Through VA-MD-PA-NY-NJ-DE

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby ericdmb » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:49 pm

Of all you have listed - the one single course I would skip is Boulder Woods at Pinchot.
The rest are all top knotch courses and the single best courses in the area!

Tinicum is fun - it is mostly wide open bomber holes with some trees - but there are a few holes that are all wooded and a few were a canal comes into play.
Nockamixon is great and you will enjoy yourself there.
Jordan is a lot of fun as well with water (creeks & pond) & elevation.
Tyler is my home course and I can't say a single bad word about it - great course!

One suggestion would be, finish up at Nockamixon and then drive to Tinicum - you can camp right there, just a few feet away from hole #7 and that way you can wake up and get your round in there before you even get in the car....

Let me know if you need any other info on the PA courses.
I have played Warwick a ton and love it there, but have never stayed in the area - I do know for certain they do not have camping on site there.....

ERIC
www.bearclaws.org

"Life is short but sweet for certain"
ericdmb
Tree Magnet

Postby the_lung » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:37 pm

The Black Bear campground is about a mile down the road from Warwick, on the same road as the course. Simply take a right out of the park.
the_lung
Noob

Postby roadkill » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:06 am

Chuck Kennedy wrote:I would skip Tinicum. It will feel like a driving range compared to the other three courses (Jordan, Lehigh, Nocka) unless you like that sort of thing. Not that there aren't some tight, tricky holes there, but on balance.

While I do like Tinicum, if I were on a tight schedule I'd skip it before the other courses in the area if choosing courses on their own merits. For me the biggest drawbacks are almost no elevation change as it is rather flat and there are a lot of really open holes that are not as interesting if you throw less than 425. For me I have other attractions like those found across the river in Frenchtown, NJ that I like to visit while I'm there.

During 2005 Worlds it seemed Tinicum was the least liked as no one I know mentioned it as their favorite. Nockamixon was either you loved it or hated it. It's the most difficult course in the area and the footing is a little tricky so those who need a run up from a fairway lie didn't like it, but it is very beautiful and a one of a kind course.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby tim » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:12 pm

the_lung wrote:The Black Bear campground is about a mile down the road from Warwick, on the same road as the course. Simply take a right out of the park.

Thanks for the lead. I just looked at their site and they don't allow tent camping. Rental cabins are $90+tax this time of year with a two night minimum, so no love there. :(

Other ideas from locals? Any place for a tent nearby?

Thanks again.
Flick long and prosper.
VP/Wizard | Roc/Buzz | Firebird | Teebird | Destroyer
Vibram Putter tester -- feel free to ask me any questions.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Postby ericdmb » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:18 am

http://www.nynjdiscgolf.com/new_site/

That is the Skylands disc golf board - post something up on there, perhaps a local will let you pitch your tent in their backyard or something....

just an idea...
ERIC
www.bearclaws.org

"Life is short but sweet for certain"
ericdmb
Tree Magnet

Postby tim » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:15 pm

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I've had good luck with everything except finding a place to stay in the Warwick area, so if anyone has any leads or friends u there, please feel free to pass along my cell phone number (214) is the area code, and the rest of the number is 684-4107.

No camping is available in Wawayanda or Harriman State Park (one is full, the other doesn't take reservations of less than 7 people). Local hotels are $120+.

So any leads on a good place to crash the night of Friday, Aug. 15, would be greatly appreciated. We are leaving early tomorrow morning, and I'll check my e-mail and PMs before I go, so you can contact me there tonight. Anything after that, call my cell.

Thanks again. I look forward to reporting out our results when we get back.
Tim
Flick long and prosper.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Postby roadkill » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:02 pm

I camped a few years ago in a campground run by a church about five miles south of the Warwick course. Dan Doyle referred me to it. I can't recall the name of it. If you can contact Dan he may know.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby roadkill » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:09 pm

roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby RoomTenONine » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:59 pm

I know this is late and you are on your trip right now:

Buuuut French Creek in Chester Co. PA has two courses that are real solid. It is about an hour West of Philly and close to the turnpike.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/ ... creek.aspx

I've never been a Tinicum fan, but you may dig it. A lot of folks do. Stopping by Sedgley Woods in Philadelphia might be cool too because you can go out in Philly later and get to play one of the oldest courses in the country (2nd I believe). Not a perfect course, but one with a lot of heritage and still fun/challenging. Just watch out for the crack vials and used condoms in the brush. ;)

When you are at Pinchot there are now 2 courses. The "pro" course is on the Quaker Race day use side of the lake and the rec/am course is on the opposite side at the Conewago Day use area. The pro course is a no joke heavily wooded set with some steep up-hill areas.

I live a few minutes from Pinchot and also play Codorus a bit. Shoot me a PM if you want to meet up (warning though, I'm pretty green in terms of skill). If you guys are looking for a place to hang out and grab some good beers too let me know, I can recommend a few places around here and out in the Eastern area of PA as well.
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Sanny Q-Sentinel

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:03 pm

RoomTenONine wrote:When you are at Pinchot there are now 2 courses. The "pro" course is on the Quaker Race day use side of the lake and the rec/am course is on the opposite side at the Conewago Day use area. The pro course is a no joke heavily wooded set with some steep up-hill areas.

I live a few minutes from Pinchot and also play Codorus a bit. Shoot me a PM if you want to meet up (warning though, I'm pretty green in terms of skill). If you guys are looking for a place to hang out and grab some good beers too let me know, I can recommend a few places around here and out in the Eastern area of PA as well.

Are you going to be at the tourney on Sunday?

Sorry to thread jack TIM
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby RoomTenONine » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:17 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:Are you going to be at the tourney on Sunday?

Sorry to thread jack TIM

Sorry for the thread jack too.

No for two reasons:

1) I'm not good enough to play a tourney yet. (I used to play very casual DG from about 2001-2003, then a long hiatus and I've just started serious playing this summer)

2) I'm spending the day walking a bunch of different land plots in the area and hopefully buying one.
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Postby roadkill » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:53 pm

RoomTenONine wrote:
Buuuut French Creek in Chester Co. PA has two courses that are real solid. It is about an hour West of Philly and close to the turnpike.

Correction: They only have one course now. The original course, Doggy Woods was pulled earlier this summer. The Pleasure Mountain course remains, but in an altered state. I've heard mixed reviews about the new layout. Personally I wouldn't go out of my way to play here. It just doesn't rank in the same league as the other courses on the schedule.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby RoomTenONine » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:25 pm

roadkill wrote:
RoomTenONine wrote:

Correction: They only have one course now. The original course, Doggy Woods was pulled earlier this summer. The Pleasure Mountain course remains, but in an altered state. I've heard mixed reviews about the new layout. Personally I wouldn't go out of my way to play here. It just doesn't rank in the same league as the other courses on the schedule.

WOW!!!! I'm honestly shocked. What happened??? I started playing DG in 2001 and played on a regular basis for 3 years while I lived in the Philly area. I played French Creek all the time. I really enjoyed it. After a 3 year hiatus from playing I've finally gotten back into the sport and have been very serious about it. I'm honestly saddened by this news. Can anyone share details (I just searched French Creek here and not much came up).

Big bummer for sure.
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Postby RoomTenONine » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:16 am

Well from what I've gathered they are renovating FC into a new 27 hole course at the old pleasure Mountain area.
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Postby tim » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:25 pm

Huge thanks to all the disc golfers here who helped plan out this trip, offered valuable insights, suggestions, critiques, and local information. The trip went pretty-much without a hitch. My brother and I both were a little sick – some sort of head-cold/sore-throat – for the week, and that slowed things up a little bit. The only serious rain we had was when we started to play Nockamixon – at that point, neither of us was feeling great, so we played through as alternate-shot doubles with putters only just to see the course.

Here’s the quick recap. I don’t have our scores in front of me right now, but will add them later when I get the chance. I took scores every nine holes.

Day 1 – 54 holes at Codorus from the pro teepad, followed by 27 holes of golf on the mini baskets, then 18 holes of golf at Quaker’s Challenge in Gifford Pinchot State Park. Stayed the night at Pinchot.

Day 2 – 36 holes at Jordan’s Creek, 18 holes at Lehigh Valley Parkway, 14 hole walkthrough at Nockamixon. Unfortunately, it was pouring rain at Nockamixon, so we didn’t play a competitive round – we took umbrellas and played alternate shot with a putter to see the course. Amazing course, and I can’t wait to get back there. Slept at Tinicum Park that night.

Day 3 – 27 holes at Tinicum Park, 36 holes at Campgaw. Stayed at Weis Ecology Center, part of the Audobon Society of New Jersey. Great place to camp – highly recommended.

Day 4 – played 54 holes at Warwick (Silver-to-Silver, Blue-to-Blue, Silver-to-Silver). Stayed with friends in Manhattan and spent the night out on the town, kicked off by women’s roller derby between the Bronx and Queens. Great time.

Day 5 – bummed around New York and spent much of the day at the Met and Whitney museums. Church that evening at Redeemer Pres., Dinner down in Chinatown. Weird to go from zero people out in the woods to millions of people in NY. Thanks to Ben, who showed us around Warwick and recommended a phenomenal local ice cream place (Bellvale Creamery) for after the round.

Day 6 – 54 holes at Tyler State Park in PA, followed by 18 holes at Iron Hills in DE. Tyler State Park is debatably the best laid out, best kept course we played all week; and Iron Hills is debatably the toughest course we played, so it was a great way to wrap up the trip. Thanks to Hobey (sp?) and Eric, who gave us the lowdown on the layout modifications and a few pointers for the course.

So if you count the 27 holes on the mini baskets, I think that totals 356 holes of golf, which isn’t bad for the courses we played, especially considering we did all of that in 4.5 days of disc golf, since a day-and-a-half were spent in New York City.

The highlight shot of the trip was on hole #13 at Jordan Creek. It’s a moderate downhill hole (probably 25’ in elevation drop) that’s 438’ through a wide tunnel fairway with OB water out the back of the basket. A couple of locals were letting us play through and asked for some pointers on how to throw better, since they’d seen us driving the hole before. So we gave them some tips, helped fix their grip, and then I put a flick down the alley, almost pin-high and right of the basket on the edge of the trees. Not to be outdone, my brother steps up with a Champion Beast and flexes a beautiful flat backhand helix down the alley and it slams the chains for the ace. It was awesome to watch.

So we didn’t quite reach my initial hope of 400 holes, but we did get pretty close, and got to see some of the most unbelievable golf holes I’ve ever seen.
Flick long and prosper.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

PreviousNext

Return to Courses