Arizona, New Mexico, Kansas

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Arizona, New Mexico, Kansas

Postby x-out » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:58 pm

i'll be making my trip from ca to mo next week and i'm looking for some "rest stops"....aka courses along the way. anyone have some good courses to recommend?
its a game of mistakes. whoever can make the least amount of mistakes wins.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby dvlcek » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:11 am

If you will be on I-70 through KS, stop and play the Frontier Park course in Hays. South end of town but well worth the stop. It's where I learned to play back in the day and the course has gotten better over the years. Still miss that course very much. Also, Emporia has great courses from what I hear. And of course, there are many courses in the Kansas City area if you are going through there. I think there are some courses near Wichita but I haven't been back (originally from KS) to play those. So not for sure what they are like. Maybe this will help: http://www.kansasdiscgolf.com/coursemap.html

Not for sure if it is still open but Taos, NM had a beautiful course that played on the mountain a few years back when a buddy and myself took a little road trip. Only made it to hole 14 before the rain and lightning started. More of a ski resort I think so some nice tight fairway shots and lots of elevation along the ski runs.
dvlcek
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Piranha

Postby x-out » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:34 am

any other ideas?

it might be possible for an OK pit stop as well :wink:
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby jtkustomizer » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:53 am

Frontier Park in hays is a must if you are going that way but it doesnt sound like it.

2 Great Championship quality Courses in wichita.... Herman Hill and the scenic Oak Park... here is hole 18 at Oak.... http://acdgc.com/

2 Awesome courses right next to each other in Emporia at Jones Park. The East course is definatly more of a challenge to play. While in Emporia you might be able to go over to Ruscos and see what "Frisbee Heaven" looks like in his basement aka "Dynamic Discs"

Let me know when you are coming through and I can possibly show you around the wichita courses.
Destroyer, Firebird, Teebird, Valkryie, FLX Drone, Buzzz, Impact and Warlock
jtkustomizer
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: www.gorilla-boy.com

Postby x-out » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:55 pm

i'm hoping to be in kansas by thursday sometime or if i'm not making good time, possibly friday.

i'll actually be heading through emporia and it won't be out of the way ;)

not sure about hays or wichita, but i could possibly swing it.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby readysetstab » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:32 am

stop in KC and make a day of it. pretty much every course there is great. unless that's actually where you're driving to. then i guess you'd be playing there anyway.

stop in emporia. might want to stop at wyandotte county park before getting to KC too.
readysetstab
Fairway Surgeon

Postby x-out » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:18 pm

readysetstab wrote:stop in KC and make a day of it. pretty much every course there is great. unless that's actually where you're driving to. then i guess you'd be playing there anyway.

stop in emporia. might want to stop at wyandotte county park before getting to KC too.

i'll be passing by KC, but that'll be where i travel to play most often. i've already played waterworks once and loved every minute of it.

seems like i'll be making a definite stop in emporia. i just hope i can meet up with some locals and enjoy the course with them.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby Mr.SmOOOth » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:32 pm

I've played Fountain Hills and Vista Del Camino in the Phoenix, AZ area.. Both are nice courses. Fountain Hills plays around a big pond with a fountain in the middle of it. Depending on the pin placement, Vista can be challenging. There is a course in Tuscon that is alright. I wouldn't make a special trip to go there though. No grass, and the pin placements are pretty short.
"Are you talking to me on a cellular phone? I don't know you. Who is this? Don't come here! Prank caller! Prank caller!"
Mr.SmOOOth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Z BUZZZ

Postby Timko » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:50 pm

x-out wrote:
readysetstab wrote:stop in KC and make a day of it. pretty much every course there is great. unless that's actually where you're driving to. then i guess you'd be playing there anyway.

i'll be passing by KC, but that'll be where i travel to play most often. i've already played waterworks once and loved every minute of it.

seems like i'll be making a definite stop in emporia. i just hope i can meet up with some locals and enjoy the course with them.

We have some other great courses in the KC area. Let me know if you're in the area, and I can show you around.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby x-out » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:01 pm

Furthur wrote:
x-out wrote:

We have some other great courses in the KC area. Let me know if you're in the area, and I can show you around.

i'll be leaving california on wednesday and should be in kansas by friday at the latest.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby x-out » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:32 pm

well my trip has been postponed a little due to vehicle troubles :( i should be on the road friday or saturday, putting my in kc either saturday or sunday. i hope i still get to hook up with someone from the boards.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby x-out » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:04 pm

i hope to be able to meet some KS people on monday sometime :D
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby x-out » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:28 pm

well after i've finally settled into my new place a little i can report on my trip. i didn't get to play any courses along the way besides a few in kansas.

Courses
out of the 3 courses in kansas i played (oak park, herman mill, and jones park east) i must say that i enjoy jones park the most. it flowed beautifully and played like a dream. i unfortunately didn't have the time to play the championship course on the other side of the course, but i'm sure it wouldn't disappoint....i should also mention that i played all three of these courses in the smae day :p

Jones Park
i'm sure jones park is unique to the area because of the long open holes with perfectly placed trees on the fairways and greens. the park also mixed in a little elevation changes along the way as well as a few holes with some water hazards to make you pucker a little. this was also the only park i played in that had been regularly manicured and cared 4. i didn't notice any maps, but didn't need one as the park was filled with golfers and i was able to join up with a local 4 the round.

Oak Park
if you want a technical course with a mix of long and short holes, go see oak park. the layout is a little tough to figure out even with a map, and also because they had a basket stolen :(

Herman Mill
herman mill is a place to go if you'd like to build your distance ego. i'm pretty sure their measured distances are a bit off, as i was able to throw to pins placed in the 400-500ft areas with little to no effort. they have great tee signs with detailed pictures and a preferred route on display 4 every hole. there was no map and it can be difficult to find the next tee pad as they are not listed on the almost perfect tee signs.

The Local Park (indian foothills)
the local park in my town just doesn't offer the distances or diversity to fulfill my discgolfin needs. not to mention the park only has one basket location and only one set of "useable" teepads.

Future
hopefully i'll have some free time in the near future 4 a trip back to kansas city so i can test out rosedale, swope, and waterworks. i've already played waterworks, but it's a park worth playing over and over. it'd also be nice to let loose the arm a little on the blue valley course.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Return to Courses