going through raleigh and charlotte, nc

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

going through raleigh and charlotte, nc

Postby legal.xchech » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:16 pm

i will actually be on the west-southwest side of raleigh and the east/southeast side of charlotte but am willing to travel a bit

any suggestions? i noticed that there are few in the area and i was wondering what 3 or 4 would be essential to hit?

thanks for the expertise
legal.xchech
Noob

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:24 pm

In Charlotte:
Renny
Hornet's Nest
Reedy Creek
Sugaw

Renny and Hornet's Nest are must play. Reedy is a crowd favorite, and Sugaw is fun if you have extra time to kill.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Zack.. » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:40 pm

ferretdance03 wrote:In Charlotte:
Renny
Hornet's Nest
Reedy Creek
Sugaw

Renny and Hornet's Nest are must play. Reedy is a crowd favorite, and Sugaw is fun if you have extra time to kill.

Yes you must hit Renny and Nest for sure if your up for a challenge hit up Renny gold and charlottes web... Charlottes web is at hornets also... But all of them course he mention are very fun.
Im not a whore... I just like to try a bunch of disc out. :D
Zack..
Noob

Postby legal.xchech » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:57 am

i assume by renny you mean renaissance park? i will probably hit up both renny and hornets nest. i havent been playing much this summer so i will probably get my butt handed to me, but oh well. it's worth it on an awesome course. thanks guys.

anyone have any thoughts for around raleigh?
legal.xchech
Noob

Postby legal.xchech » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:03 pm

well i am back from my trip and it was awesome. we hit up a few microbreweries and a few courses as well. the beer was really good. Big Boss Brewery in raleigh (get the high roller ipa it's delicious) and the Carolina Brewery in chapel hill (?) were the favorites. enough of that. on to the courses.

the first course we played was Buckhorn at Harris lake County Park. it was fun and a good way to start off. weather was nice and view was good except for the towering nuclear power plant in the distant. that's kind of a spoiler. lost a disc into a bog that i didnt know was there b/c i didnt look at the map well enough. oh well. pretty standard course.

then we played UNC's course, which was fun. the first two holes were new and were fun. the course was pretty standard. very well manicured, i will give it that. lots of nice people running the course, too. college girls are pretty. enough said.

Next we played Hornets nest. we mostly played nest but did try a few of the web holes that looked interesting. 18 web i played a few times just b/c. did horribly the first time. but almost aced it the second to last time. it definitely was a lot of fun. and it's very important that you have a map of the course before you come otherwise it could have been confusing.

Renny was last and was absolutely awesome. i was all up for playing gold but there was a singles tournament going on so we just decided on the original tees so that we could have our space and enjoy the experience. the original tees still kicked my butt. suprisingly i wasnt too unhappy with a score of 8-10 over for the first time out there (kinda lost count when we played a few wrong pins and had to back track). we dont get that kind of elevation in ohio. also important to have a map of the course b/c it is stupid confusing. even with the map we didnt know what we were doing sometimes. i think it's a little confusing that if you play the gold tees you throw to white baskets and original tees throw to the yellow baskets. that confused us on a number of times. we even had to help out a few locals who decided to play the course without a map for the first time (they were super confused about the tee and pin color situation thingy). they were all over the place playing whichever tee they could find. i suppose that could be a fun way to go. i would love to go back and attempt gold but only time will tell.

had a great time in NC and i hope to get back there to play a few more courses.
legal.xchech
Noob

Return to Courses