Seattle Golf

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Seattle Golf

Postby Timko » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:39 am

I was wondering if anyone knew the deal with golf in Seattle, Washington. I noticed that there are a few courses in the city, but was wanting to know if there are organized leagues or an organized club. My google searches have come up dry.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby some call me...tim? » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:45 am

Seattle disc golf is kinda weird in that there's no real centralized club. Instead, its more like each course is its own entity and club. It has a lot to do with the politics of the older players who have been around for years and helped put the respective courses into the ground...kind of a home turf kind of thing. We're starting to see a little more cohesiveness and cooperation between the different "clubs" these days though. There's no real organized leagues, about the closest we have is weekly doubles at different courses, and then monthly acepots too. The weekly doubles move in a southernly direction, Mondays at Lake Stevens, Tuesdays at Terrace Creek, Wednesdays at North Park, and Thursdays at Lakewood. Lakewood doubles are by far the biggest ones.

Are you headed out this way Furthur? If so, feel free to hit me up if you want to get a round in sometime.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Timko » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:53 am

I may be up there in a month or 2. I'll be sure to hit you up.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Barbikes » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:14 pm

Yeah, I agree with Tim on the way disc golf seems to be organized in the Seattle area. If you want the insider lowdown on what's goin' on then check out:

http://www.odsa.com/forum/index.php

That site is the best source of current info on the Seattle disc golf scene.

If you plan on playing any of the local courses solo then it is a real good idea to have a map with you.
The "big four" (Lakewood, Seatac, Terrace Creek, and North Park)) Seattle disc golf courses are all poorly marked and not intuitive at all!
If you want to play some of the outlying courses then be advised that Riverview in Sumner and the course in Steillacoom are infamous for their multiple tee/multiple pin madness.
White River in Auburn is probably one of the easiest courses for a first time player to navigate. It's a nice woodsy course too.
The ultimate thick big evergreen tree PNW course is NAD park in Bremerton (and you get to take a ferry ride to get there!).
Crystal Mountain is about two hours from downtown Seattle but it is a very cool ski area type course.
Good reviews on all these courses at:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/browse.ph ... &country=1
Barbikes
Tree Magnet

Return to Courses