Twin Cities Disc and Beer Trip

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Twin Cities Disc and Beer Trip

Postby gretagun » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:40 am

Hello,

Might be going on a short trip up north to play some disc golf and pick up some good beers. I'm looking for some courses in the Twin Cities areas that are worth checking out. We are hoping to play a few courses and stock up on some beers that aren't distributed in IA (kind of a beer geek). Any recommendations would be appreciated. Really looking forward to picking up some local beers from Surly and Town Hall, as well as other microbrews that we can't get here.

Thanks!
gretagun
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Rancho Roc

Postby corey115 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:10 am

Good Twin Cities Courses:
Kaposia Park
Bryant Lake
Hyland Ski and Snowboard Area
Oakwood Park
Acorn Park
C.P. Adams
Blue Ribbon Pines
North Valley Park

Check out this site, its got hole by hole "tours" of most of these courses, and a lot of others.
http://www.playdg.com/
Predator | Avenger | Boss | Drone | Buzzz | Yeti
corey115
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby gretagun » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:25 am

corey115 wrote:Good Twin Cities Courses:
Kaposia Park
Bryant Lake
Oakwood Park
Acorn Park
C.P. Adams
Blue Ribbon Pines
North Valley Park

Check out this site, its got hole by hole "tours" of most of these courses, and a lot of others.

Thanks! Blue Ribbon Pines is definitely one of the courses I had in mind. I'll have to look into those other courses and figure out which ones we will hit up.
gretagun
Tree Magnet

Postby PeterM_Vang » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:39 am

Town Hall is the best brew pub in Minnesota. You will not be disappointed. I'm sure you'll be picking up a few growlers from them. Surly is sorta hard to find on tap sometimes but, definitely some good beers. They have some seasonal stuff but, maybe hard to find. They sell growlers at their brewery on Saturdays, I think. Summit and Schell's have a few beers worth checking out but, nothing spectacular. There are a couple breweries up north but, hard to find. Best place to buy beer. Blue Max Liquors in Burnsville. I you love beer, this place is a must see. They have over 1100 different beers in stock. They have a tone of American microbrews from all over the country and then they have a section split up by region. I always get stuck in there for about an hour when I go. Most of their beer is in the cooler too.
PeterM_Vang
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby gretagun » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:54 pm

PeterM_Vang wrote:Town Hall is the best brew pub in Minnesota. You will not be disappointed. I'm sure you'll be picking up a few growlers from them. Surly is sorta hard to find on tap sometimes but, definitely some good beers. They have some seasonal stuff but, maybe hard to find. They sell growlers at their brewery on Saturdays, I think. Summit and Schell's have a few beers worth checking out but, nothing spectacular. There are a couple breweries up north but, hard to find. Best place to buy beer. Blue Max Liquors in Burnsville. I you love beer, this place is a must see. They have over 1100 different beers in stock. They have a tone of American microbrews from all over the country and then they have a section split up by region. I always get stuck in there for about an hour when I go. Most of their beer is in the cooler too.

Ha ha, my buddies were at Blue Max earlier this year and brought me back some great beers. I missed out on that trip, but I definitely plan on spending some cash and time in that store. I was very jealous to say the least. Do you know if MN carries Lagunitas? I thought I heard a rumor about that, but not sure.
gretagun
Tree Magnet

Postby PeterM_Vang » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:33 pm

I haven't seen Lagunitas anywhere in Minnesota. Blue Max would probably be the best place to check. Maybe you could call them and request it if they don't already have it. They have quite a few special reserve or limited edition brews from all over. Great Waters is also a nice brew pub in downtown St. Paul. Not nearly as good as Town Hall but, still better than the chain brew pubs like Granite City. Williams Uptown Pub & Peanut Bar is another bar with many beers on hand. In the downstairs bar, they have about 70 beers on tap and about 300 different bottled beers. They always carry some different brews but nothing too spectacular.
PeterM_Vang
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Working Stiff » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:11 pm

Off topic, but oh well...did they ever do anything with the old Schmidt Brewery? I know it was pisswater cheap domestic beer, but we used to drink that stuff by the case. "The Brew that grew with the Great Northwest"...the 12-packs were called "Sportpacks" and the cans had pictures of deer and turkeys and fish on them. We made a road trip up once and pulled into the courtesy room at the brewery at 10:00am. We told them we had just driven from Columbia, MO just to see the Schmidt Brewery (which was a lie, we had tickets to the Twins-Sox game the next day) and they gave us free beer until the courtesy room closed at 5:00pm. Next thing I know I'm dancing with some 50 year-old divorce in some polka lounge that served roast beef sandwiches the size of my head.

Ah, good times... :lol:

Anyway, the brewery closed after Heileman was sold (a sad day for all cheap beer drinkers) and the last time I was in St.Paul they were making some beer called Pig's Eye there, but I guess that went out of business as well and the last I heard the building was empty. Too bad, as it was a cool building. At least I think it was. I was hammered!
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby corey115 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:53 pm

gretagun wrote:
corey115 wrote:Good Twin Cities Courses:
Kaposia Park
Bryant Lake
Oakwood Park
Acorn Park
C.P. Adams
Blue Ribbon Pines
North Valley Park

Thanks! Blue Ribbon Pines is definitely one of the courses I had in mind. I'll have to look into those other courses and figure out which ones we will hit up.

Well have fun, btw, Bryant is a must!!

Any one who has played it would agree.
corey115
1000 Rated Poster

Postby gretagun » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:00 pm

Just got back from our little trip, and had a blast! We only played 3 different courses, but they were great. We played Bryant Lake, Blue Ribbon Pines and Oakwood, along with picking up some hefty beer hauls from Blue Max and Dennis Brothers in Cottage Grove. Out of the three, I would say Bryant Lake was my favorite, so big thanks to corey115 for recommending that. The course was extremely well kept, fun to play, and very scenic. Every hole was unique, and I loved bombing some discs off of 17 across the road. Blue Ribbon Pines was also very scenic and challenging, and Oakwood was a great way to top the day off after our Dennis Brothers stop. I'm glad our neighbors to the north have taken to disc golf as much as we have, and we are already talking about making this an annual weekend trip!

Here are a few pics:

gretagun
Tree Magnet

Postby RoomTenONine » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:43 pm

Don't know about courses there, but I know you can get two beer brands I can't easily find in PA (actually at all) and that's saying something since PA actually is a great place for the beer obsessed folks of the world.

Surly Brewing and Three Floyds.
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Sanny Q-Sentinel

Postby gretagun » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:29 pm

RoomTenONine wrote:Don't know about courses there, but I know you can get two beer brands I can't easily find in PA (actually at all) and that's saying something since PA actually is a great place for the beer obsessed folks of the world.

Especially with top notch breweries like Troegs and Victory!

Not to rub it in, but I'm stocked on some Furious and Bender now :wink:

I believe 3F is currently just distributing in IN & IL. We used to get that even in IA, but there is an issue with demand outweighing supply, so they scaled their distribution down, and I believe they are expanding their brewery. I sure hope they come back soon, and who knows, maybe they will be ready to hit bigger markets.
gretagun
Tree Magnet

Postby RoomTenONine » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:49 pm

gretagun wrote:
RoomTenONine wrote:Don't know about courses there, but I know you can get two beer brands I can't easily find in PA (actually at all) and that's saying something since PA actually is a great place for the beer obsessed folks of the world.

Especially with top notch breweries like Troegs and Victory!

Not to rub it in, but I'm stocked on some Furious and Bender now :wink:

I believe 3F is currently just distributing in IN & IL. We used to get that even in IA, but there is an issue with demand outweighing supply, so they scaled their distribution down, and I believe they are expanding their brewery. I sure hope they come back soon, and who knows, maybe they will be ready to hit bigger markets.

We used to get 3F too, but you had to know where to go. It hasn't been distro'd to PA for some time. There were rumors of it coming back to PA this past year and a few cases did make their way, but nothing consistent. I hope they turn it around because their stuff is amazing.

[points middle finger in your direction as a "Surly salute"]

Troegs is great, so is Appalachian brewing. Both are minutes from my house. I used to frequent Victory quite a bit when I lived in teh Philly area. That is, when I wasn't passed out in one of the Belgian or German beer bars in the city.
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Sanny Q-Sentinel

Postby corey115 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:36 pm

glad you enjoyed them!!

Bryant and BRP are amazing courses
corey115
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Courses