Mesquite Texas

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Mesquite Texas

Postby 13paceseast » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:09 pm

Mesquite has recently opened 3 new courses.
Porter Elementary is a short 9 hole that is good for beginners.
Debusk park is 9 holes, a bit longer, and not as wide open. Lot's of water but it is mainly on the right sides of the fairways. Perfect for righties, not so much for lefties.
They are both pretty fun little courses and they are kept in great condition.
The jewel in Mesquite is Paschall Park. This is just a fun little course to play.
Pro's - 18 holes. 2 sets of tee boxes. Well build and long tee boxes. Lot's of trees to keep you out of the HOT Texas sun on most holes. Excellent condition. Great scores can be had from the white tee's. At least half a dozen baskets under 250 feet - good chance for Aces - although most of these holes are heavily wooded. I love the white tees. I 'm almost 40 and trying to max out drives all day long is just not fun anymore. I like to go out, shoot good scores and have fun. I shot 10 under last night and i am no where near pro level. Let's the common man score good and build confidence. Only one silly long hole and it is only 650 feet from the blue tees. Blue tees will provide a decent challenge for most good players.
They have scorecards with a map layout ! Good signage. Most parking is a decent walk from the 1st hole, but 18 ends near the parking lot so it works out good.
Con's - Mosquitos the size of small birds on some of the holes deep in the woods. Course can get crowded. The smell on hole 11 from the sewer drains/manholes will choke you some days. Good thing it is a short hole and it is over quickly. Big creeks on the left that love to eat discs when they have water in them - which they do right now. LOTS of trees and tight fairways.
If you play in the Dallas area you should check out this course. It's as fun as any in the area.
13paceseast
Noob

Postby RustyP » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:37 pm

Good to see someone from Mesquite on here...that's where I grew up and lived until about a year and a half ago. I still go back to Dallas once a month or so, just for the disc golf. It's awesome to see that the city has jumped into the DG scene feet first and so eagerly!

Agreed...Paschall is a very fun course! The first tournament at the course is coming up soon (check the "Upcoming Texas Tourneys" thread on this forum for more info), and the city is planning on adjusting some of the teeboxes that are in odd places (ie - in the middle of another hole's fairway ;) ) I played out there a few weeks ago and splashed out of the chains on #11 from the shorts with my Aviar...then 4 holes later a guy in my group aced #15 short with his putter! 10 down from the shorts is a good score, as the best I've heard so far is -14.

I played Porter one morning a while back...nice short beginner course. I hear that MISD is already planning on integrating disc golf into its PhysEd curriculum!
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby Preacher » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:35 pm

i live in forney and play at mesquite mostly. and YES the river on hole 7 eats discs. i lost my flash to it and was so mad. but i love it. very challenging with all the trees. Excellent course
Preacher
Noob

Postby 13paceseast » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:18 am

10 under is me best score out there. I don't usually throw for score, but i got a new mid i wanted to practice with and i guess i focused more. Usually i go for the chains from the box and can get into trouble. I was learning the new disc so most of my shots were skipping close for easy birdies.

update -

i actually played Porter saturday morning. Mesquites website and some buddies of mine say it is short and for beginners. This is true. What they didn't mention was how hilly some of the holes are. Too hard of a walk for my old butt. I don't like mountain climbing that much, that early.
13paceseast
Noob

Postby RustyP » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:19 pm

I was in Dallas this past weekend, and got out to DeBusk park on Sunday (during the beautiful post-Ike weather :D ) for the 3rd time...it's definitely growing on me. This is without a doubt a course designed for beginners, but it has enough variation and length (on some holes) to make it fun for all skill levels.

Hole 1 is a <150' ace run with OB road about 25' past the basket...there are a few low tree limbs that force a slight anhyzer, but it's still a putter ace run. Hole 2 is probably close to 400', wide open with a creek on the right side and OB walking path / woods on the left. Hole 3 was my favorite...downhill about 375' with a large creek on the left and a large group of bare trees short of the pin to the right. A large tree on the left keeps the anhyzer route tricky, while the group of trees on the right keep the hyzer from being an easy one...they're just short enough that you really want to try and bomb one over the top. The rest of the holes are so-so....though the very short, downhill #6 was another fun putter ace run (btw, I hit metal 3 times with my Aviar that day...holes 1, 6, and 9).

If you find yourself in Mesquite with only about an hour to play some golf, this would be your best choice!
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby 13paceseast » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:25 pm

COOL !

i was there sunday morning.

we teed off around 9 and played twice.

maybe we crossed paths. the course wan't that crowded.
13paceseast
Noob

Postby RustyP » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:47 pm

Found out today that Paschall has a mini every Saturday and Sunday morning at 11am. I believe it was $5 for novice, $10 for intermediate / advanced, and $15 for open.
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Re: Mesquite Texas

Postby 13paceseast » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:30 pm

hopefully some of you who play mesquite are reading this -

the beer trees are cute. nothing like walking thru a nice park - where alcohol is not allowed - and seeing all of the beer cans and beer bottles stuck to tree branches.

and the amount of trash we are leaving on the course. i know... just adding some color to the scenery.

keep it up and we won't have a disc golf course in mesquite very long. this issue has been discussed by park and board members. i know this for a fact.

throw your damn trash in a trash can and smoke your pot in the woods on the back nine where no one is around you morons.

a few idiots are gonna ruin it for all of us.
13paceseast
Noob

Return to Courses