Rosedale & Swope

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Rosedale & Swope

Postby x-out » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:05 pm

i had a chance to play both rosedale and swope recently. the conditions were pretty miserable (30+ mph wind), but it was still a fun day of golf.

Swope
i didn't really enjoy the course as much as i thought i would. i looked up the course on playdg.com and the picture walk through was nicer than the actual course. the elevation changes were nice, but it was constant up, down, up, down. almost every hole played as a switchback, which also grew old very quickly. i liked the use of marked OB in the fairways and was probably my favorite feature of the course. on a 1-10 scale i'd rate it a 7. it was hard to navigate the course at times and a few baskets were hard to locate without tee signs. the layout was a little repetitive for my tastes, but i guess they only have a limited amount of space to work with.

Rosedale
this was more what i expected as far as use of land and woods in the mid-west. a great mix of wide open holes, wooded holes, and bottleneck holes. the majority of the pin locations were med-long to long, a lovely layout for those that liked to air it out. some of the possible pin placements are almost unfair, and lean toward more luck than skill. this is also true of some of the putting greens, where you don't have much room to work with, or its basically a mandatory layup. the grounds were a little under groomed, but everything was still playable. tee signs weren't fully accurate, but gave you a general idea of what to expect. with a variety of pin placements there are enough configurations to keep you coming back for more. if i had to choose a daily home course for missouri, this would be it. water works is a great course, but i couldn't see myself getting excited to play it everyday. i'd rate rosedale an 8.
its a game of mistakes. whoever can make the least amount of mistakes wins.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Return to Courses