Paw Paw WV

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Paw Paw WV

Postby roadkill » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:14 pm

Being that the ever growing West Virginia Open is drawing closer, my anticipation is growing and wanted to find out if anyone else is headed out for this year's WVO.

I realize many of the forum users are from other parts of the country so I'll try to shed some light on these courses and the event itself.

The two courses in Paw Paw, West Virginia used for the event are The Woodshed and the Whipping Post. If these names remind you of a beating, you're right, these two can beat you pretty good if you're not playing clean, smart golf. Both courses are about two thirds in the open with holes in the 350-700' range with significant elevation changes and fast greens. The one third that are in the tight woods are responsible for 90% of the stories (and 99% of the cursing). Fairways in the woods are 6-20' wide and wind and dogleg without mercy. The wooded holes range in length from 250-550'

Both courses are on private property owned by Spencer and Gabbi Thurman. They are many miles away from any significant city. To get there you have to travel miles of winding narrow roads then onto several more miles of narrow dirt roads before you arrive at a beautiful property with spectaculiar panaramic views.

I can recall my first WVO in 1994. There was only 18 holes then (woodshed) and there were maybe about 60-70 players. The 2006 WVO filled yesterday with 89 pro spots and 89 am spots taken for the labor day weekend event. The remaining two spots will be auctioned off on eBay and awarded to the highest bidder.

In addition to the golf, there is onsite camping which nearly all of the players take advantage of. Mobile Grange is a band that plays music well into the morning hours. There is usually a full barbecue and buffet sat night included with your entry. They always have a huge bonfire (25' high) sat night where a bunch of drunk disc enthusiasts throw fastbacks through. I can recall one year they even had fireworks. And one of my favorite non golf activities at Paw Paw is stargazing. Being that you're like 50 miles from the closest real city, there is no light pollution and you can see more stars here than you've ever seen in your life.

Anyone else been here? Anyone want to share a story (that can be posted on a public forum)?
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby bigs348 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:25 pm

Steve,

I have not yet been to Paw Paw, but I'm pretty dang excited about hitting up the WVO this year. I've read about and looked at pictures of both courses, and they look like a dream come true. Wide open crushes combined with tight, tight woods are my favorite combination.

Do you have plans to go down with anyone yet? Joey and I are planning to head down sometime Friday, and we hope to get a decent camping spot. Not sure if anyone else is in with us yet.

On another note, have you thrown the new driver mini?

Alan
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:18 am

If your able to, everyone should make the trip to play the whippin post and the woodshed in PAW, PAW West Virginia. Two of my friends and myself made the trip this summer and its by far the best golf i've played.

The woodshed is my favorite but the whipping post is where i gained strokes against my friends. Forhanded rolls come into play often as trees are everywhere. Remember friends that paw paw backwards is wap wap. hole 18 plays over a pond and it makes a perfect setup for trying to drive it for the duce a la "Tin Cup"

Spence and Gabbi are super cool and their dog followed us arround for the two days that we were there and staying in camp MD. The dog (scout) even helped us find a few tee boxes our first time through.

UMMMMMM
GO TO PAW PAW
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby swel304 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:34 am

We were out of town this week installing some computers at the school in Paw Paw. Did not get to go to either course, and no one I asked seemed to have any idea what I was talking about :lol:

They are many miles away from any significant city. To get there you have to travel miles of winding narrow roads then onto several more miles of narrow dirt roads before you arrive

basically you go out to nowhere and drive another 30 miles. if your into scenic mountain views its definitly a must, the area is absolutely beautiful. Probobly a smaller town than most would imagine. the entire scool probobly wouldnt fill up 1/4 of a walmart, and thats K-12th grade. They had pictures of the graduating classes from 1950-present and the average is about 10-20 ppl a year. and you best pack a good size lunch because there isnt much to be had once you are there.

I really wish I could have gotten out to at least one of the courses, but even if I had the time it was super cold and insanely windy (and the guys I work with cant seem to understand why I would want to waste time playing "frisbee" golf). Judgeing by the surrounding area I would guess that they are very nice. Does anyone know if/where there are some pics of the course posted?
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby deaddisc » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:45 am

http://www.westvirginiaopen.com/

This has pics and details for the woodshed. If you go to the pdga course directory under WV you can find both courses and there should be links for the other. This is a must play on my list of future DG vacations. My friends and I played down to BONAROO a few years ago and we were originally going to go this way and hit em both up. We ended up going through Ohio, KY, and TN so we missed WV obviously. But from what I hear it is def a place that needs to be played.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby roadkill » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:16 pm

Swel,

I'm not sure how long you've been playing disc golf but it's amazing that you live in West Virginia and haven't been to Spence and Gabbi's courses.

I had a very similar experience when I attended the first WVO in 94. I drove "into" Paw Paw (if you blink you miss it) and stopped in small store and asked about the frisbee golf course and they looked at me like I had three heads. Not sure if it was because they never heard of frisbee golf or because I still have a full set of teeth.

I come through Berkeley Springs (522 I believe) and then turn onto route 9 at the seven-eleven, from there it's 6.2 miles to detour road. I turn right on detour road and follow it maybe 8 miles until it comes to a T at which I turn right and go about 2 miles and it becomes a gravel and dirt road and the woodshed is on the right after Linda Fowler's house (her house has a mini basket in the front yard.) Edit : directions here: http://www.pdga.com/course/courses_by_city.php?id=900

Pack a couple coolers with food and drink, bring your camping gear and ibuprofen and stay for a weekend. This is not the kind of place you play for two hours and go home. You really need some time. It's long, hilly, strenuous, immensley challenging and extremely beautiful. Spence and Gabbi are super cool people and the stars on a clear night are something you'll remember forever.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby swel304 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:16 pm

Im not sure if you have ever played the course in huntington wv but that is where I am from so paw paw is about a 5 hour drive. I have played occasionally since they put the course in huntington like 10 years ago but just really started playing regularly this year, and this is the first year I have played any course other than home.

we passed detour road on the way out to paw paw so I know exactly where you are talking about. our hotel was in berkley springs as we were doing a few schools in morgan county aside from paw paw.

I definitly wouldnt make that drive just to play a round or two and come right home, the signs everywhere that boast "keep morgan county rural" say it all. It would make a great camping trip, or even going to play and staying in berkly springs. there isnt much in berkely springs but there is a best western and some resteraunts, and the spa there is somewhat famous if your into that sort of thing.

did you see the sweet castle house on your way to paw paw? right after the 7-11, when your going up the hill.

I havent played a lot of courses, but our course in huntington is by far my favorite. A good mix of open and technical shots, reasonalbe am tees for players who cant crush 500ft drives or super long tees to challenge the "pro's". If you ever get a chance make sure to stop and play it on your way through, its only about 6 miles off interstate 64. there is another 9 hole course (camp mad anthony) about 15 miles away also that is pretty decent if the grass is cut :lol: but the one in rotary park is a great course.

http://www.huntingtondiscgolf.com

swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby roadkill » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:05 pm

I haven't been down to Huntington yet. I have heard that you have two amazing courses there they play at the Soupy Sales tourney ( I think that's the one). I live in PA, but my lead foot can get me there in 3 hours or 4 if there's traffic. Every year the WVO seems to get bigger. We get people from Iowa, Colorado, Michigan, North Carolina and Conneticut as well as PA,OH,MD,VA and NJ.

I am very familiar with Berkeley Springs. My non-golfing girlfriend and I go out to Berkeley Springs as a get away from it all retreat. We've done the mineral bath thing, got massages and stayed at Tari's Cafe at which I can highly reccomend the restaurant and the Sleep and Dine packages they offer. As for the castle I not only saw it, I toured it. The inside, all the rooms, I was even on the roof overlooking the town. They no longer give tours because of a few ownership changes and there are many stories of it being haunted. It's a shame because the tour was incredible.

Another landmark to visit is the Panorama Steak house on route 9 about a mile or so past the castle. Incredible prime rib: 18 ounces for the queen cut or 24 ounces for the king cut. Served with all the trimmings au jus, baked potato, freshly baked bread and garden salad. Directly accross from the steak house is the scenic overlook with the panoramic view of the valley, river and surrounding mountains. Many of the WVO participants make a point of stopping here for some pinnacle disc launching.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby swel304 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:08 pm

I dont know if I would say the mad anthony course is amazing, but it is challenging and not because of distance. It doesnt get nearly as much use but Id say its because there are no tee pads (or markers for that matter), and if the grass isnt cut you will get lost around hole 3 :lol:

Our icebowl is next weekend at rotary if your looking for an excuse to come down. we are doing a big cleanup this weekend so everything should be in tiptop shape for the event. unfortunately its drill weekend for me so I cant attend the icebowl :( if your 3 hours from berkely springs then it would take about about 6-8 hours to get to huntington I would guess, depending on what part of PA your in.

swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby plastic_fondler » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:37 am

roadkill wrote:
I am very familiar with Berkeley Springs. My non-golfing girlfriend and I go out to Berkeley Springs as a get away from it all retreat. We've done the mineral bath thing, got massages and stayed at Tari's Cafe at which I can highly reccomend the restaurant and the Sleep and Dine packages they offer. As for the castle I not only saw it, I toured it. The inside, all the rooms, I was even on the roof overlooking the town. They no longer give tours because of a few ownership changes and there are many stories of it being haunted. It's a shame because the tour was incredible.

Another landmark to visit is the Panorama Steak house on route 9 about a mile or so past the castle. Incredible prime rib: 18 ounces for the queen cut or 24 ounces for the king cut. Served with all the trimmings au jus, baked potato, freshly baked bread and garden salad. Directly accross from the steak house is the scenic overlook with the panoramic view of the valley, river and surrounding mountains. Many of the WVO participants make a point of stopping here for some pinnacle disc launching.

Ah.....wap wap....and Berkeley Springs is a cool little town. I have good friends that live locally that I visit and always combine a trip to paw paw. The Panorama is a cool place....but if you want the real local flavor.....head out to the Troubadour on karaoke/steak night. The Troubadour is a Patty's Cline, WV country hall of fame lounge. Steaks are good and the local flavor is good too!

http://www.troubadourlounge.com/index.html
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: firebird

Postby swel304 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:30 am

ok next week Im going to be in jefferson co. wv all week for work. I will be driving through morgan co. on the way home so weather permitting I am going to stop and play the course in paw paw. I seem to remember someone telling me this is a private course and that you need permission befor coming if there is not a tourny happening. Is that correct roadkill? If so who do I need to contact.

One of the guys I work with is wanting to try the game, hopefully I can talk him into stopping with me so I dont have to go play alone. From what Ive been told its not exactly a beginner course but I wont mention that to him till we are there :lol:

swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby roadkill » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:34 pm

Yes it is a private course so it's a good courtesy to contact Spencer and Gabbi Thurman in advance.
However if you can't find a number for them they'll probably be okay with it. Just stop at the house and introduce yourself and I think they ask for like a $3 donation or something like that. They are very cool and being that they own two of the most legendary courses in existence they are used to golfers stopping by. They have a constant flow of visitors year round.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby uNicedmeMan » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:23 pm

One of the guys I work with is wanting to try the game, hopefully I can talk him into stopping with me so I dont have to go play alone. From what Ive been told its not exactly a beginner course but I wont mention that to him till we are there

thats cold swel, he's gonna hate disc golf
they don't call it wap wap for nothin
it might take you all day to play the whippin' post
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby swel304 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:28 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:
One of the guys I work with is wanting to try the game, hopefully I can talk him into stopping with me so I dont have to go play alone. From what Ive been told its not exactly a beginner course but I wont mention that to him till we are there

thats cold swel, he's gonna hate disc golf
they don't call it wap wap for nothin
it might take you all day to play the whippin' post

:lol: no matter how I explain it to him he thinks he is going to kick ass because he has thrown frisbees with his little cousin all the time and is great at that. :lol: I could tell him that its the hardest course on the planet and I still dont think he would get it until he is actually trying to play. I seriously doubt he will go anyway. He is all talk but when it comes time to actually spend a day out there I think he will want to go home instead. I will very likely be playing it alone :cry:

swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby roadkill » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:30 pm

Unicedme makes a good point.
Wap Wap is not a place to introduce someone new to the sport. If he's a good sport and has an enormous amount of patience he may not hate you for it but it's your (meaning yours and his) call.

Each course takes about 90 minutes to get through in good weather for a twosome. It's long and very hilly so it's not like you can run through a round in 40 minutes. A beginner could easily shoot 100-120 on either course. Even seasoned tournament players have been known to shoot in the upper 70s.

I normally shoot in the mid 60s on both courses. If you want birdie opps it helps to throw a consistent 425. Most of the "birdie holes" are 375-440' range.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Courses