RustyP's 2009 DG Roadtrip - Idlewild or Bust!

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Which route would you take from Cincinnati to East TX?

Route #1
63%
Route #2
13%
Route #3
25%

Total votes : 8

RustyP's 2009 DG Roadtrip - Idlewild or Bust!

Postby RustyP » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:12 am

Ever since I first heard about the course, I've wanted to make a trip up to the Cincinnati area to play Idlewild...and I think it might actually happen this next Spring/Summer! I'm pretty sure that the trip up there will include stops in Nashville, TN and maybe Louisville or Bowling Green, but I'm having a hard time deciding on what route to take back to Texarkana, TX. Looking for a little feedback on what route would pass near the best courses. I live adjacent to AR and LA and play in both states fairly often, so I'm skipping those states on the way in and back. Which route would you take?

Route #1 is to head back West from the 'Nati and pass through St. Louis or Kansas City, then probably down through Tulsa, OK.

Route #2 is to head South from Cinci down 75 and stop in Knoxville, TN before going to Atlanta, GA...then continue West through Birmingham/Tuscaloosa, AL or Jackson MS before passing straight through N Louisiana on the way back home.

Route #3 is to basically take the same route back home and stop in the cities I didn't get to stop at on the way up, which could include Bowling Green, Lexington/Fayette KY, Jackson TN, and maybe Memphis.

Chime in however you want...all feedback/ideas/etc is much appreciated! Also, if anyone lives in these cities and would be willing to offer up some floor space that would be awesome; not exactly sure when this trip will materialize, but keeping travel cost down is a must for me as I'll most likely be travelling alone.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Re: RustyP's 2009 DG Roadtrip - Idlewild or Bust!

Postby JKP » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:09 pm

Route 3.. hit the bowling green courses!
Omega ss-Kc Aviar-Comet-Roc-Vision-Pd-Firebird-Katana
JKP
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: vision

Postby Dogma » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:29 pm

Can't help with your route, but I played Idlewild on a trip to Cincinnati last summer and it was great. The only thing I wish I'd known ahead of time is that on the 1001' hole you can't see the basket from the teebox as it's over a hill. There are two small signs about 500 feet out in an open field. Aim between the signs and you'll be on line for the basket. I also played Banklick while I was there. It's close to Idlewild and is an excellent 24 hole course. Mt Airy sounds like a lot of people like it too, but it's on the other side of town so I didn't manage to get there.

There's an active club and forum in Cinci at http://www.cincinnatidiscgolf.com It has good directions, course maps, etc.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Beetard » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:52 am

If you're going to Idlewild, bring your lube.

Here's pics of all the courses around cincinnati. Idlewild is on there. I play Idlewild a couple of times a year. It's a long drive for me to get there. I always get all excited like, hell yeah, I'm goin to Idlewild, but by the time I play a couple of games, I'm like, F this place, I never want to see it again. I keep going back though. It's all about accuracy and hitting gaps there. You go off the fairway, you're screwed.

Mt Airy is a good course. It will really test your approach game. You can get off a nice drive and still have to make a good upshot if you want your 3. Par is a great score on that course. Most upshots will be from 75-150 feet out with some trees you have to navigate unless you've got some sick driving distance.

Banklick, I think, is overrated. It's nice, but in terms of challenge, it's not that hard. You can screw up a lot and still get 3s. Now, if you want to shoot 10 down, that's a challenge though.

Oxford is also a fun course. About 1/2 cake hyzers and 1/2 hard holes.

Monroe (pics suck, they're from before the course was even installed) is cool. All wooded, narrow fairways, lots of elevation changes. If you're a leftie, God have mercy!

Hit me up if you plan on coming to ohio. I'll make some time in my schedule to play all the good courses with you.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Return to Courses