Course to play in Austin, TX

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Course to play in Austin, TX

Postby disc junkie » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:54 pm

sunspot wrote:I'll be at Austin in March for my cousin's wedding. I was wondering what are some good courses to play at.

Hit me up sunspot when you get into Austin, Ill definitely play some golf with ya at whatever course/courses you want to throw!
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby zj1002 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:11 pm

new tees would be the bomb. my god i have messed up so many drives because of some of the boxes. i get overly cautious about tripping over a rock or root or something on a few of the holes
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby sunspot » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:44 pm

Thanks for all the recommendations. I appreciate it. I found out that the wedding will be held on North Commons Ford Rd. Some of the courses seem feasible from that location. Right now I'm not sure which hotel we'll be staying at. That could be good or bad thing. I'm sure it won't be too far from the location of the wedding.

Once I find out about the hotels I'll measure the distances of the courses from there. But as of now there are a few courses that I could possible get to if everything goes according to plan.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby sunspot » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:57 pm

BTW, what are some good hotels to stay at? I'm looking for a hotel that's cheap and good (naturally) and one that's close to a disc golf course. I did see that there was a Super 8 that was close to Pease Park, but the reviews that I read were negative. Any other suggestions?
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby sunspot » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:23 pm

I'm going down there this weekend (the 13th-15th). The best time for me would probably be Saturday morning. As far as I know there's nothing going on that morning. The wedding is at 2:30, which leaves me with enough time to play. I'll probably play Pease Park.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby curt » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:58 pm

I would recommend trying to get out there as early as possible. The course can get very crowded on Saturdays causing a round to take much longer than normal. The earlier you go, the better.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby zj1002 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:11 pm

curt wrote:I would recommend trying to get out there as early as possible. The course can get very crowded on Saturdays causing a round to take much longer than normal. The earlier you go, the better.

second that. get out early if you want to avoid the crowds.
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby sunspot » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:41 pm

My dad and I are going to go in the morning. What time should I go?
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby curt » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:50 pm

I would say that if you give yourself two hours (or maybe a little more) to play the course, you should be fine, especially if it is in the morning. Not knowing the exact details of where you're staying, where the wedding is, or how long it take you to get ready, I would say if you're there b/t 9 and 10 you should have no problems
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Postby disc junkie » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:00 pm

I agree you will want to get there between 8-10. However be prepared for some incliment weather as we have rain predicted Wed-Sat.

Pease can get pretty sloppy during rainy days so wear some good shoes thatll protect yor ankles.

I wish I could meet up with you at Pease but I will prolly be playing in Manor this Sat.
Last edited by disc junkie on Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby curt » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:22 pm

Also, since it will be raining for much of this week, when you get to hole number three at Pease, walk up to the creek, look left and see if the rocks used to cross the creek are above the water (after a good rain, the creek can become uncrossable). Absolutely do not wear the shoes you are planning on wearing to the wedding. If it's muddy, the mud is real sticky around here.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Postby zj1002 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:44 pm

ya unfortunately just about every course in the heart of Austin has dirt tee's. man I can't wait for the new circle c boxes...oh circle c how I miss you. I went and checked out the tee's a couple weeks ago and oh man I wanted to launch a few so bad but the Parks and Rec people were out there cutting trees.
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby disc junkie » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:03 pm

koyok23 wrote:ya unfortunately just about every course in the heart of Austin has dirt tee's. man I can't wait for the new circle c boxes...oh circle c how I miss you. I went and checked out the tee's a couple weeks ago and oh man I wanted to launch a few so bad but the Parks and Rec people were out there cutting trees.

how are the tees?? did they make them big enough?!?
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby zj1002 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:17 pm

If i recall the ones i stood on were not that wide but good enough. I am pretty sure they were long enough, but one of them seemed a little high off the ground. Better than the dirt, rocks, tree stumps/roots that made up the previous boxes. I do miss that dead tree laid down in front of that one box. I was upset when they cut that down last year because it was such a different kind of box and made that hole a ton easier when they cut it in half.
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby disc junkie » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:32 pm

koyok23 wrote:If i recall the ones i stood on were not that wide but good enough. I am pretty sure they were long enough, but one of them seemed a little high off the ground. Better than the dirt, rocks, tree stumps/roots that made up the previous boxes. I do miss that dead tree laid down in front of that one box. I was upset when they cut that down last year because it was such a different kind of box and made that hole a ton easier when they cut it in half.

For sure any teebox is better than none, I was just hoping they would be long enough. Also I was wishing that they would be wide at the back and gradually get a lil more narrow towards the front. Either way I cant wait til April!!!

I agree about the fallin tree, however I was always scared I was going to drill it with my hand or arm. BUT removing that tree just totally made that hole soooo much easier and now it doesnt look as cool. The one thing I dont miss were the people who decided to write all over that tree (pretty unecessary).
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

PreviousNext

Return to Courses