Course to play in Austin, TX

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Course to play in Austin, TX

Postby zj1002 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:50 pm

they actually might narrow a little towards the front now that I think about it. I was too excited to really take a good look at them.
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby sunspot » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:49 pm

Has it been raining a lot?
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby zj1002 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:52 pm

It has been pretty steady here in San Marcos. Nothing real heavy but constant drizzles all day. I would say it is pretty wet and you are 100% going to be covered in mud if you play a round. From what I have seen the forecast calls for this through Saturday which blows. Good timing with the rain for me because it is forcing me to study for a test rather than playing a round or two. Giving the body some much needed rest
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby disc junkie » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:26 pm

sunspot wrote:Has it been raining a lot?

Its going to be nice and wet/muddy wherever you play thats for sure.

So bring your mud doggin shoes and youll be just fine. The only courses with concrete tees now are all south or north, nothing central unfortunately (except for the 9 holes on the north side of zilker park).

The courses with teeboxes are:

Wilco is awesome but it close during rainy times to prevent erosion.

Manor will have tees but its a lil drive from Austin going south east, but definitely worth it.

Twin Parks is a country club and they will prlly be open, plus its free for first timers. TP is in Dropping Springs (southwest of Austin)

Old Settlers, I dont recommend that course really. Its a good course but its retty boring and bland. Its wiiiiide open and loooong. Its a cool course if you live here and want to change things up but I dont recommend it for visitors

Steeplechase which is south of Austin is a fun course and could be a nice option, but for that kinf of drive time Id recommend Manor instead.

North Side of Zilker Park, its a fun 9 holer that you can do circles around and have a great time doing it. Also has huuuge teeboxes. Also its very close to pease.

Thats pretty much it.
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby zj1002 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:34 pm

I would not recommend Steeplechase with the amount of rain we got down here in San Marcos. Last time I went out there a few weeks it the creek was really full on every hole and really murky. I can't imagine how bad it would be. If you don't mind the challenge of not losing a disc in that water then got for it, but like Disc Junkie said, just do Manor instead...
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby pg043 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:23 pm

So have any of you guys seen the new Circle C layout? I tried to play the course when I was driving through in early January, but it was under construction at the time. I'm excited to see the redesign. What's it going to be like? Is John Houck doing it?
PDGA #36459 | Destroyer | Xcaliber | Leopard | Teebird | Banshee |Drone | Buzzz | Wizard
pg043
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Buzzz

Postby zj1002 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:31 pm

I think waterloo is doing it, not sure if they are getting any "advice" from Houck. I have not really gotten a good chance to check out the new layout. Might take a hike out there this weekend. I don't think they are doing anything drastic. If I recall they are combining holes to get it down to 18. I expect most of the holes to be very similar to what they were, the course is simply getting a makeover. New tees, trashcans, baskets, etc...getting rid of certain trees to open up some more lines. Hopefully it is worth the 5 months of wait when it opens in April-May
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby sunspot » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:30 pm

I played at Pease this past Sunday and I thought it was a little over-rated based on the reviews on DG course review.

The tee-pads are horrible. They are the worst that I have ever seen. I'm surprised that they don't have concrete pads or something other than makeshift dirt. There were a few times we got lost. Also, I was surprised to see 3 dudes sleeping underneath the bridge. I wanted to say, "Go get a job, bum."

Edit: I did have a good time there but there were somethings I didn't really like. That and the rain made everything really muddy.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby zj1002 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:33 pm

anyone got info on Circle C???? i look every day at all the austin dg websites/forums but havent seen an update in a week or so. last i heard from a guy at disc nation they were eyeballing easter weekend but i doubt that happened with the rain and it being a big holiday for some. been itching to get back out to my "home" course
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby curt » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:40 pm

I think the most reliable place to check out for info is the waterloo club site on the pdga.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby zj1002 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:41 pm

yeah been there but lou has been lacking on info of late. i would so ask on the pdga forums but i tried to set up my forum acct and it is being difficult so I gave up
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby Leopard » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:56 pm

Do you get emails from Gordo? Might ask him for the quick version (and to be added to the list)
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby steezo » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:37 pm

Circle C will be open in about 2 weeks. COTO "might" use Circle C as well.
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby steezo » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:47 pm

Circle C will be open by this weekend.....
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby zj1002 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:21 pm

oh i know

so ready to rip that course a new one

just hope it dries up.
zj1002
metroid cannon

PreviousNext

Return to Courses