2009 Worlds at KC

A place to post or request tournament information.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: 2009 Worlds at KC

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:39 am

What I don't understand is if you're buying a tournament logo disc as a fundraiser, mainly to hang on the wall or save in a bag as a collectible, why does it need to be made in the highest tech plastic, throwing weight and latest molds? It makes little sense UNLESS that plastic is needed for the particular stamping/coloring process being used. Even then, why not make them as light as possible like they used to do with premium tournament discs? I know that several recent wide wing discs can't be made in 150 class or lower with premium plastic. But it makes little sense why that full color disc couldn't be some older model that can be made light in Star.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Bruce » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:00 am

Damn I'd really like to come over, Rick was doing a fine job of selling it on the PDGA International teleconference a couple of weeks ago, and I've never played stateside.

I don't think I can find any way to afford it though, with the economy the way it is, and having already committed to going to Japan 2010 :?
Bruce
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Dx Roc

Postby Timko » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:22 am

Chuck, you're thinking is in line what I'm thinking.

1. People aren't going to throw Full Color discs
2. To make them look the best, they should be printed as big as possible
3. Print them on an Ultrastar or Zephyr
4. ????
5. Profit!
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby rKp » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:31 am

Yum yum yummy yum yay
rKp
Tree Magnet

Postby Working Stiff » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:14 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:What I don't understand is if you're buying a tournament logo disc as a fundraiser, mainly to hang on the wall or save in a bag as a collectible, why does it need to be made in the highest tech plastic, throwing weight and latest molds? It makes little sense UNLESS that plastic is needed for the particular stamping/coloring process being used. Even then, why not make them as light as possible like they used to do with premium tournament discs? I know that several recent wide wing discs can't be made in 150 class or lower with premium plastic. But it makes little sense why that full color disc couldn't be some older model that can be made light in Star.
I'm not arguing the logic, just say for me...I have bought many discs that remain unthrown in a collection. NONE of them were bought with the express idea that I'd NEVER throw them. I have a couple of discs in my bag right now that I hung onto for a long time, but eventually decided to throw. So when I buy a disc that I'm pretty much 100% that I'm just going to collect, I still want it to be in a mold and weight that if I change my mind I can throw it. If all anybody ever had was premium weight Gophers with tourney stamps, I would not have bought very many of them no matter how cool the stamp was. We are after all disc golfers. For a lot of us, you have to want the stamp AND want the disc. There suddenly is a buzz about big discs like Zephyrs because of the Super Class idea, but Zephyrs have been around for a long time and folks really have not been beating down the doors at Innova demanding them. Maybe there is a niche market for them, but for a fund raiser I'd still go with what I know the masses want.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:49 pm

I guess if we've learned anything over life, it's that people's buying habits are usually just superficially logical or sensible (i.e. pet rock, collector Rocs, 'pyramid scheme' mortgage), just rationalized logically after the fact. Successful marekters make what sells despite any rational shortcomings... :)
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Timko » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:59 pm

InnColor are runs of 50 anyways, so as long as we find 50 people to purchase Star Zephyrs, we're fine.

If Innova can produce them, I-East can stamp them. We'll see what happens.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Leopard » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:14 pm

Color Zephyr (whassat?) vs Color Buzzz/Xcal/Destry/Wraith .... could be a sad fight to watch :lol:

then again, the design was meant to be old-school... so an old-school medium would fit. it's an XYZ for World's though, so it could look pretty damn stupid AND be on a weird disc and still sell. last year's logo was an amorphous blob, far as i could tell.

i do like it but as a young punk, there's no overt trippyness or sexy/violent meanness to make me want it. i may want it more if it's a crazy fast driver with pretty colors on it. color cryztal buzzz... color speedy-driver, color aviar... those are all discs i'd want. the logo would have to really ring my bell for me to buy a Zephyr. i've bought a couple full-color lids because they look rad on the wall, but the color Buzzzes next to them might someday be thrown.

but again, people's buying and liking habits can't be predicted. my general rule for art/music is to make something that either gives me chills or makes me laugh my ass off, and then i believe it can do the same for others. getting that buzz personally is just about all the focus grouping you need.
keltik wrote:I think ZAM had the right idea.
dgdave wrote:Listen to ZAM.
jsun3thousand wrote:zam is already in your pants.
i post things at facebook.com/PostID
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby innovadude » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:19 pm

Anyone know the state by state qualification standards? or what they were last year? or any qualification stadards? thanks
innovadude
Tree Magnet

Postby curt » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:51 pm

I may be wrong, but I believe the standards last year worked like this:

anyone with x number of points gets invited
it was 1000 AM points, don't know on pro

state by state came into play if there was no one from the state with enough points to qualify the other way and it was player w/ most point and player with most events got invited (2 invites).

this is all from memory and could be way off.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby Torg » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:46 am

I always at least try a new disc even if it is supercolor to see if I like it. My favorite disc of all time was a tourney disc. I actually bought 4 of them I liked it so much and it was my main driver for years. I still have one in my bag as my backup driver mainly because it is the only remaining survivor and if there was a way to get more of them I would. That being said, I have never seen a supercolor disc that was worth throwing. I think it would be cooler to have fundraising discs be one off molds or plastics so that there may be an off chance that it could be the best disc ever. If the blend or mold is really good you could just look at it like a beta phase for the disc. Still though, not really a fan of supercolor.
Torg
Tree Magnet

Postby Working Stiff » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:08 am

Well, according to this thread you could just put the supercolor stamp on a flat circular plate (like a flight plate without the wing) and attach a hook and that would make more sense than putting it on an actual disc at all since they are all just going to be wall hangers or collected and nobody will ever throw one. :roll:
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:33 am

Yes, it would make more sense. But then that would go against the lack of sensibility for several things in this sport. :)
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Working Stiff » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:19 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:Yes, it would make more sense. But then that would go against the lack of sensibility for several things in this sport. :)
According to my Wife, if we ever come to our senses the sport will disappear overnight. :P
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Bangrrr Bob » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:50 pm

Put that on a F.C. JLS and I'd buy 2.
Focus, Meteor, Buzzz, Stalker, Nuke, Pred....
Bangrrr Bob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Soft Focus

Previous

Return to Tournaments