Anyone been to the USDGC?

A place to post or request tournament information.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Anyone been to the USDGC?

Postby Dogma » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:23 pm

To spectate, not play. I may go and am interested in people's opinions, experiences, and suggestions. Crowded? Fun? Super fun? Worth going? Also, what is the Spectator Par 3 Shootout on Saturday, and how does "Spectator Day" work on Sunday? Are non-competitors allowed to play the course at all when there aren't official rounds going on? Talk to me people.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Re: Anyone been to the USDGC?

Postby Disc Golf Live » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:30 am

I've been 3x myself to shoot video. Haven't seen many unhappy spectators. The first days are pretty laid-back, but there's a pretty good crowd for the finals. More good golf at this event than you'll find anywhere else, if that's what you're after. USDGC.com should have answers for most of your questions. Not sure myself about the par three thing, but the course is open for play on Sunday. Again, USDGC.com has details about how to get on the course yourself.

Joe
Joe Wander
Producer and Editor
Disc Golf Live video magazine
www.discgolflive.com
Bringing DG to TV, one community at a time
Disc Golf Live
Tree Magnet

Postby Toomes » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:57 pm

It's blast to go to USDGC. I went last year for the first time and plan on going there every year I can from here on out. The best thing to do is go down there and get a hotel room in Rock Hill or Charlotte. During the weekdays, play the Charlotte courses in the morning and the go watch some golf in the afternoon when the lead groups are playing. We played the Rockstar Shootout last year and is a pretty fun time. You play it at Boyd Hill which is in Rock Hill. The prizes are good and the course is decent. Saturday afternoon is all about joining the fairly large gallery and watching the final group play. The spectator day was probably my favorite part of the trip because you get to play Winthrop Gold and measure up your game up with how the pros played during the week. Just keep an eye on the usdgc website because you'll have to sign up for a tee time for spectator day. I'll be down again this year the weekend before to play in the US Doubles Championship, but I also might drive back down there the following weekend to watch Saturday and play some Charlotte courses. I'm also planning on trying to qualify on Monday even though it's going to take a near perfect day of golf for me to have a chance.
Toomes
Tree Magnet

Postby plastic_fondler » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:48 pm

course is open for spectators on Sunday if you sign up. You can't play it all week before though. Par 3 shootout is at another local course. Defiantly worth going to see the talent. I'd also suggest playing Renny and Hornet's nest up in Charlotte.
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: firebird

Return to Tournaments