Tourny Registration Question

A place to post or request tournament information.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Tourny Registration Question

Postby stoneman » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:45 pm

I have a tournament question. I'm just KIND OF considering entering my first tournament. I've only been playing for 6 months total, and it's been winter (meaning little play) a lot of that time. Never taken lessons or anything. Do I sign up for amateur or novice? My fear is signing up for novice and getting lucky and playing well, and having people think I sandbagged. LOL I used to race mountain bikes, and nothin' s worse than a sandbagger (well, a course-cutter is I guess). :D
stoneman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby dgdave » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:04 pm

NOV. You've only played 6 monthes and you will probably have some nerves, so you can add a few strokes to your normal score. Nov will be more laid back, so there won't be as many nerves. Don't be afraid to ask the TD. Tell him your honest normal score and see what they think. If you win by a lot, just move up next time.

Good luck
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Re: Tourny Registration Question

Postby Fritz » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:06 pm

stoneman wrote:I have a tournament question. I'm just KIND OF considering entering my first tournament. I've only been playing for 6 months total, and it's been winter (meaning little play) a lot of that time. Never taken lessons or anything. Do I sign up for amateur or novice? My fear is signing up for novice and getting lucky and playing well, and having people think I sandbagged. LOL I used to race mountain bikes, and nothin' s worse than a sandbagger (well, a course-cutter is I guess). :D

Where do you feel your skill level is?

IF you truly feel you are novice, then play novice, if people say anything about it if you win, say you've only played 6 months and a handful of times during winter. Then you know to try the next level up.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby jamsisjams » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:06 pm

If it's your first tourney than no one can call you a sandbagger. Don't sweat it and have a good time regardless of what division you play in.
Tsunami-SOLF--JLS-Wasp-Buzzz--Wizard-Whitler

"Hit me with your wisdom, cow."
jamsisjams
1000 Rated Poster

Postby readysetstab » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:11 am

a good number of people start in novice regardless of skill level. if it's your first tournament no one will kill you about it. they'll just tell you to move up next time.
readysetstab
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Tournaments