Playing in my first Tournament

A place to post or request tournament information.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Playing in my first Tournament

Postby Midnightbiker » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:32 pm

I have only been playing for less than a year and I have never played in a Tournament. I am thinking about it, and I have almost got my game where I want it, but I still don't drive as far as I like. I would like to play in a local tournament, but I also don't want to look like a newbe out there as well. How long should I wait to play in my first tournament? Just wondering.
Listen to The Love Doctors on Real Radio 10am-3pm Eastern
Click here
http://www.wzzr.com/pages/the_lovedocs.html
Midnightbiker
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby jamsisjams » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:41 pm

You should play in a tournament the first time you go out. If it's a good tournament then it has good, kind people that will be happy to provide you with insight. One of the best ways to get better is to play with people better than you.

I played in a lot of weekly tournaments held by the local club in my first year and had a hell of a time. I still go out whenever I can but not as often as I'd like.

The first tournament that I played in and didn't know the people running it was after I'd been playing for a while. It was an Ice Bowl at a course that I'd never played before. I finished last in my division and then finished second to last in the doubles aspect of the tournament.

I shrugged it off, though, and have played in several other tournaments, even placed in a few. Basically, the sooner you can enter one, the better.
Tsunami-SOLF--JLS-Wasp-Buzzz--Wizard-Whitler

"Hit me with your wisdom, cow."
jamsisjams
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Midnightbiker » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:44 am

Well, I believe most of the local tournaments are put on by the local Disc Golf club. I am planning on joining the club soon and I am sure that will help.
Listen to The Love Doctors on Real Radio 10am-3pm Eastern
Click here
http://www.wzzr.com/pages/the_lovedocs.html
Midnightbiker
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby Grayson » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:41 am

there really is no reason to wait, if the tournament you are going to is of a decent size, they should have many divisons.. I suggest playing in the lowest division you first time out, which is probably called Rec, or MA3... If you blowout the competition in Rec, no worries, just bump up in division next time... The next division up is intermediate, which I find has the widest range of skill levels in all the standard divisions,, some people don't feel like they should be playing Rec, so there will be plenty of beginners in intermediate, but there are also several people that don't like the challenge of playing with advanced players, so they stick to intermediate, eventhough they probably will have the skills to place in advanced on a good day...
your first few times out, the competiton is not what is important, rather getting a feel for playing under pressure, learning to play in a tournament, learning the proper PDGA rules, learning what goes into a tournament etc.

If you love the game, and want to see it grow, the best thing you can do is to find a local club that you click with and take part in their minis and take an active role in their organization.. there is definatly a "think globally, act local" type of effect from taking part in a local club... The more the local clubs grow, the better the regional and statewide tournaments become... just by growing our club in Nacogdoches, we've been able to support the clubs in Tyler TX and Shreveport LA just by attending their Ice Bowl charity tournaments, as well as their B-tiers, and in turn they attend our tournaments and weekly minis.. Our local club also has dedicated ourselves to pick up trash at the parks, and improve teeboxes and courses, install new tees, and work on building new courses, supporting local charities and teaching youth the game,,, all this from a couple of guys who love the game so much, and appriciate the city for letting us use their parks so we can do what we love for free.

so there is a lot more than just the competition, but knowing how you stack up against others, and beating that guy you never thought you would stand a chance with is a great feeling too...
Grayson
2008 DGR Donator

Postby Jerry R » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:56 am

I played in my first tourney after playing about 6 months. It was a B-tier, and I finished 4th from last in Intermediate. It was a great experience - i learned a lot and met some great people.
Jerry R
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Q Sentinel

Postby Fritz » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:30 pm

I played my first tournament 3 months into my Disc Golf Career, It was an A-tier, High Plains Challenge. I played Rec, and won so that was my only Rec Tournament. Go play, don't wait.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Chainiac » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:43 am

To prepare for your first tournament you may want to try playing in a league or mini. I found it to be a nice transition from casual rounds to the structured rounds of a tournament.

Have fun.
Jay

The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it. - George H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Chainiac
Noob

Postby Micah » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:23 pm

Play safe layup all the time and you will do well.
Micah
Tree Magnet

Postby J. Ray » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:53 pm

U gonna play some of the Birdshot series? I think you would have a lot of fun and have some success at a smaller, one-day C-Tier event. You would be playing mostly w/ locals in a hospitable, familiar environment. Great way to ease into competition.
J. Ray
Noob

Postby BIF13 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:30 pm

what is the birdshot series? is this a nation wide thing or local to your area?
Z Nuke - Z Force - Z Surge - Z Avenger SS - Z Stalker - Z Wasp - Z Buzzz - ESP Meteor - ESP Comet - D Focus - D Magnet
BIF13
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Nuke

Postby Dig It » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:53 am

Hey Midnight, I have said it before, you and I are very close in time played and skill level. I am playing in my first tourny in April (see the thread called "I am scared" in the general spot) and I was very scared about it.

I kept thinking I am just going to get laughed out of the division and all the other fears that would come with doing something new. My advice is to join the local club, and go join them for some activities they do. Tags matches, mini tournies, etc. I went to a MHDGC tag match on Friday for my first time... man was it worth it. Met a bunch of people from the club (most of which will be at the tourny) and got to try playing in a setting that is like a tourny. When I showed up I was nervous but before we even got our groups I was feeling good and remembered why I love this sport so much, the awesome people that play it.

It was kind of funny because I had to make the transition between "Guy who plays with the same group of friends" to "guy that wants to get better and play with the club more." For the longest time I felt bad when I would play with people from the club and not my friends but I had to make the transition or my game would never get better. I could be the best player amongst my friends forever or go out and play with people who will spank me and force my game to improve.

Anyway little rant there but for the tourny I signed up in Int. as per Blake's suggestion. Played that tag match with a guy who was also in Int. He shot a -6 and I shot a +9. So yea, it both dashed my hopes of winning and gave me more confidence to play in the tourny. Something my wife told me years ago has stuck with me no matter what I do. You learn a shit load more from losing than you do from winning. I figure the tourny will be nothing but a social mixer + a clinic that cost me $40. Good deal imo.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Return to Tournaments