First tournament...at a course you've never player???

A place to post or request tournament information.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

First tournament...at a course you've never player???

Postby gremlin75 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:23 pm

I'm looking foward to playing some tournys this year. I have sunday (3/16/08) off and it just so happens that there is C-tier tournament that day in the area......Im excited to try out the tournament sceen but the problem is I have never played the course that its at. I do have wednesday off also so I would be able to get out there then to play a round or two.

So should I make my first one at a course I've never played or is that just a bad idea all together???
gremlin75
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Dut » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:29 pm

I have this exact same problem. Theres a C-Teir tourney fairly close to where I live and it would be my first tourney. Same as you I have never played or seen this course and dont know if I should go try it or skip it and just wait for a course im familiar with :?
Dut
Tree Magnet

Postby rusch_bag » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:41 pm

Who cares if you have never played the course. Playing a new course is always fun and being a tournament as well just increases the fun level. Don't worry about it and have a good time. Disc golfers for the most part of very nice people and if you have any questions or worries they will help you for sure.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby jeremy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:46 pm

I play better playing in a tournament and not having played the course before, I'm going to have to start doing that again.
jeremy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 178gr Comet

Postby phisherman77 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:10 am

it's not a big deal. just go out and play a few holes to practice, get a nice idea of the holes before you start.

you may not shoot over your player rating, but who cares? just have fun.

i think i played something like 12 rounds blind in tournaments last year
phisherman77
Tree Magnet

Postby roadkill » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:26 am

My first two tourneys were at courses I'd never played before. It's no big deal.

For me my best tournament rounds were at courses I was playing blind.

The fact you've never played it should be an attraction not a deterrent. Go out and have fun.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Micah » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:47 pm

If you are anything like me playing a tournament at a course you have never played before is good and bad. Bad because you will make mistakes that had you known the course better you wouldn't have made. Good because you will probably play safe and thus score well. Tournament play or intermediates and advanced players is all about playing safe. Taking the par or bogey and not the double. You also won't have higher expectations than you should. At your home course you know you can shoot a 6 down and can sometimes get frustrated if you aren't shooting that well in a tourney round. Good Luck enjoy.
Micah
Tree Magnet

Postby Dut » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:23 am

Went and played. First tourney was pretty decent. Finished tied for 5th out of 15. Guessing my rating is going to be around 879 which isnt that hot :? (Two rounds first 886 second 872)

Regardless got some experience and was fun, had a 2 hour delay for lightning and then learned that I cant drive at all in rain and that I should invest in an umbrella.
Dut
Tree Magnet

Postby jamsisjams » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:26 am

Hell yeah, man. Now you've got a good DG story.

My first tournament (that wasn't a weekly put on by the local club) was a course that I'd never played. It was an Ice Bowl, just to compound things. I think I finished last in my division, although I played in the division right below Pro Open. You live and you learn, eh?
Tsunami-SOLF--JLS-Wasp-Buzzz--Wizard-Whitler

"Hit me with your wisdom, cow."
jamsisjams
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Tournaments