Anyone else play alot worse in tourneys?

A place to post or request tournament information.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Anyone else play alot worse in tourneys?

Postby Dut » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:14 pm

:( I have only played two tourneys, both in the last month. Prior to that playing random courses with friends Im shooting 930+ rated rounds constantly. So now I join two tourneys and am rated like 870 :x

wtf
Dut
Tree Magnet

Postby tumpsi » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:29 pm

Training is training, competing is competing.
Wax on, wax off.
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby gorillaboy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:57 am

I almost always shoot worse at tourneys compared to my normal game...my nerves get to me to much...but I still have fun
gorillaboy
King of the Jungle

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby roadkill » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:02 pm

Playing worse in tourneys is common. This is especially true in the amateur divisions and players with limited tourney experience.

Golf is a very mental and emotional game. Staying level headed and maintaining composure and focus are every bit as important as hitting fairways and sinking putts.

I had trouble playing up to my expectations the first couple years in competition until I learned to relax have fun and not let bad luck or imperfect shots get to me.

A big key I found was to really celebrate the good shots of others in my group. The tendency in the am divisions is to have a cut throat mentality and get pissed when the other guy drains a 60 footer or gets a lucky ricochet off a tree. In the pro divisions, atleast in my region, everyone encourages each other, laughs and has a good time. Sure we all want to have the lowest score at the end of the round, but adopting a positive, encouraging attitude helps to keep the pressure off your own back and you're less likely to beat yourself up or get upset at bad situations. Honestly this is the best advise I can give you concerning tournament attitude that I've learned in my 20+ yrs of competing in disc golf tournaments.

Just relax, expect a few bad shots and unlucky breaks knowing it's part of the game and enjoy the company of your fellow competitors, remember it's supposed to be fun!
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby J-Man » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:00 pm

It's just the pressure of every throw going on the card, unlike casual rounds. It's about balancing that casual mindset, course management, and moving on after a bad shot, or hole. As you play more tournaments you'll find that balance, or at least get closer to it. Don't forget to remember that the reason to play, tourneys or otherwise, is to enjoy the lines you can cut in the sky, not make a living or pick up a few free discs. Enjoy
Team Oregon Ambassador@Large
J-Man
1000 Rated Poster

Postby masterbeato » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:08 pm

There is a lot of pressure when competing for sure. But why? My solution to playing better in tournaments is just simply playing smart. People misunderstand that. Playing smart is not pussying your shots, it's playing within your playing ability. If the hole is 300' wide open and you can easily get a roc that distance on a hyzer line. Then throw a roc, not a driver. (like you would most likely do in a practice, or a rec round) If a hole is 350' and your avg D is 380'. Don't throw a huge distance line, throw a nice and controlled line drive at the hole. If you psyche yourself out and come up short, so what? were you going to birdie it anyways?

My theory is this. If you do so well during a regular rec round, why aren't you doing the same thing during a tournament? Wouldn't that make more sense?
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby black udder » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:05 am

Sometimes it's the course and conditions. Perhaps it's a different course, or it's a different time of day. I know for me, I mostly play in the afternoon or evening, but just about all tournaments start early (by necessity). Thus, I'm up early and playing when I'm normally not. Sometimes I just don't get my act together - then it's a tough day. But I always have fun.

You can also be affected by the people you play with - nervous because you don't want to embarrass yourself, or too chilled because you play with them all the time in casual rounds.

You can be nervous about every stroke counting vs what you think other people will do. Sometimes when you bogey a hole, you get into the mentality that you need to birdie a hole to "get it back". Just accept that you're not getting it back. No matter how many birdies or aces you get after that bogey, you still have the bogey on your card. That should allow you to play smart and take what the course gives you.

Some holes you may seldom birdie, but come tourney time, you expect it and go for it all. Perhaps it's better to just throw a "good" shot and try and par out and go for the lower hanging fruit (better birdie opportunities).

Some people just plain choke in competition.

I know the common advise is to relax and have fun - it's true that if you're relaxed you'll play better and if you're having fun, you'll be more relaxed, but you have to keep that to the between the shot time. You have to play to win and focus on your game while you're throwing. It's easy for me to get too casual and then I'm done.

One thing to remember is that everybody is playing the course when you are, so if the weather is bad, everybody is facing the same conditions. Scores will not be as good as normal, so just play the best you can and accept it.

lastly, remember that some folks play through the winter while others don't. Those that play through the winter keep their form and "groove", so will probably play more consistently in the first tournaments of the year. Those that hibernate for the winter will require some time to get their swing back - and their putting.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby masterbeato » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:13 pm

black udder wrote:Some people just plain choke in competition.

yep I know all about it. It's GAY!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby matchu » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:40 am

I might just stop going for birdies and lay up for par, that would have shaved like 5-6 strokes in my last tourney
Synchronize the why’s, the if’s the lies. Shake and sift through the mess. Digress the flesh left is our disguise.

matchu
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby rusch_bag » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:48 am

I shot +15 on a course that I normally shoot +3-8 on Saturday in a tournament. Good times.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby ziggy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:56 am

Learned something

It helps to grab a stool and sit in between turns.

there's a lot of downtime between your throws when you are having 3-4 other players especially with one person who has this uncanny ability to hit the first tree.
ziggy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Dut » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:53 pm

ziggy wrote:Learned something

It helps to grab a stool and sit in between turns.

there's a lot of downtime between your throws when you are having 3-4 other players especially with one person who has this uncanny ability to hit the first tree.

Yeah I thought about one of those stools, but dont want to have to carry it around all day. I just plop on the dirt.
Dut
Tree Magnet

Postby dvlcek » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:37 pm

ziggy wrote:there's a lot of downtime between your throws when you are having 3-4 other players especially with one person who has this uncanny ability to hit the first tree.

This is my biggest thing. Casual rounds, I can get rolling but having to stop after every hole lets my mind wonder a little too much and lose focus. I also need to get out and play more league/tag rounds. Think those would be better practice for tourneys.
dvlcek
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Piranha

Postby jeremy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:34 pm

I have played in many monthly's, and play right with many 930 to 940 rated players, but in sanctioned tournaments I play horrible. My drives are good, it's just the approaches, and putts that get me. I work on both several hours a week, I only play about 1 or 2 rounds a week now becuase I now practice. I still cannot get in the groove in tournaments, I have fun, encourage others, and still no Karma working for me.
jeremy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 178gr Comet

Postby Smoke » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:28 am

I don't know maybe I need to do some feng shui on my bag or something before a tournament. I too suffer from the tournament curse. Right now I'm blaming it on the weather, good ole' Michigan weather at it's finest. I usually average at least 5 strokes worse then the casual rounds, my drives are ok but it seems like all of a sudden I forget how to putt.
I'm neither a bear, nor a cheetah..I'm a WOLVERINE!

"Must get past the first tree....um the second one too." - Bill
"Start the lawnmower..smack the midget." - D, when talking about how to throw
"No Low Putts!" - Hell if I know
Smoke
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Next

Return to Tournaments