Ozark Mountain Open

A place to post or request tournament information.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Ozark Mountain Open

Postby Timko » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:45 pm

Next weekend at Vichy. Who's going?
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Working Stiff » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:49 pm

Are you going? I can't, I'm bummed. I know Dave's grandfather died last year and the land is for sale, so this might be the last go-around for Ozark Mountain.

Of course, it might end up like Ted's Dread and have a third annual last tournament. :P

If you are playing, take notes and post a long winded report that would put JR to shame. That way we can live vicariously through you.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby Timko » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:58 am

I am going. I think KC is sending 6-8.

I also played Ted's Dread for the 1st time Saturday. Man, that is a SICK COURSE! Best in the KC area by far. I'm no longer bitching that we don't have a technical course outside of the Rosedale Down Under dinker course (which is good; I just want some holes longer than 200 ft).
Timko

Postby Working Stiff » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:23 pm

You know, the only person I've ever heard describe Ted's Dread was Dave McCormack, and he tends to nit-pick any course he didn't design to death. I'd be curious to hear what you have to say about that course also.

St. Louis has a strong contingent going to Ozark Mountain, as would be expected. My friends and I are old and have mostly fallen out of the touring scene. The one friend I have that still tours a lot has sworn off anything GDS is involved with, so I'm afraid I'm not going to hear much about it.

I don't tour, but I would make an exception for Ozark Mountain. Work won't let it happen.

Rosedale...that brings back memories. Back when I used to haunt KC, Rosedale was the best course in KC. Once you got used to the creepy guys hanging out in the park, it was a really good course. It has been nine or ten years since I've been there, Down Under was brand new back then. I'll have to get back to KC some day.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Timko » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:34 pm

Here's the deal with Ted's:

It has some really tough, kinda lucky, par 4 wooded holes. But no more lucky than the Vichy course.

1. Sweet wooded shots, 450' with a slight right turn. Wooded, but no insanely tight.
2. 260' straight shot with woods on the right. Anhyzer line works well here.
3. 760'. Downhill for 400, then across a earth damn with water on the right. Pin tucked in woods
4. Kinda boring 300' dogleg left.
5. Another boring 300' straight shot
6. 325' shot over trees and over a lake. I layed up and went over both rounds because of a headwind.
7. Tricky anhyzer shot. Like 300 straight shot over a creek to an open field, then another 150' up a hill to a basket that sits on the hill with trees on either side.
8. Very nice 300' uphill tunnel shot. Starts in the open, finishes in the woods. Roc off the tee and a putter (what I chose), get lucky with the driver up the gut, or huge hyzer over everything.
9. Downhill 400' with trees on each side. Fairway narrows as you get down to the pin. OB right behind basket.
10. 260' straight shot to a treeline with basket on other side. If you're not going over, it's a poke an hope.
11. 320' right turning shot, starting in the woods and ending in the open. Basket sits at top of hill sloping to the right.
12. 230' dogleg right in super tight woods. Lay up 130', then pitch up 100. I tried a tight anhyzer both rounds, but never found the gap.
13. 200' downhill right turn in tight woods.
14. The Cherub. 500ish downhill dogleg left wooded hole. 350 downhill to the turn, then you need some luck if you plan to get up to the basket. Most likely, you take two shots from the turn and putt for 4.
15. The Boneyard. Zig-zag 350' uphill hole. 230 to the turn left, 60' to a turn right, then a right turning shot to the basket. Fairway is 15' wide the whole way, with a forest of saplings everywhere else.
16. Uphill 250' hyzer shot in the woods.
17. Straight 240' shot down a tight ally with basket on left.
18. Downhill 350' shot with woods behind the basket, and lake behind the woods. Howling headwind on this one.

-----

That's the short course from the short tees. Due to the temps, we didn't play the long course. But this course appearently gets insane from the longer tees.

For sure, you don't have to have big D to shoot well here. I felt the round played rather quickly for 4 people (approx 2 hours). You do need to force yourself to leave the driver in your bag on some of these holes unless you want to gamble for a big 2. I shot a 67 and 69, but think I could make the 60-61 number if I had been driving worth a damn. We do local ratings, and I had a 938 and 920 for my 1st and 2nd, respectively. Someone shot a 55 the 2nd round, which rated at 1033. 54 has never been broken here during a tournament.
Timko

Postby Working Stiff » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:00 pm

Cool. Thanks for the rundown. It sounds pretty tough, but fair. I wish it were a more permanent set-up, as it is only a matter of time before that course is no more.

Does Chappy have access to the super-secret PDGA ratings formula from his time on the BoD? I'm guessing he is the one that crunches your ratings numbers.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Timko » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:57 pm

Chappy (and by default, me, since I'm the KCFDC Secretary) has a magic spreadsheet that does all the work! He will be at Ozark as well, actually.
Timko

Postby Working Stiff » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:50 pm

Chappy is a good man. Rick is also. Rick can be one of those "love him or hate him" kind of guys, but he tells it straight. KC is lucky to have guys like them.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby phisherman77 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:34 am

Chappy's the man. Always fun to have a good microbrew or orange whip with.

Rick is.....Rick. I've always thought he was a pretty good dude; he really wants the best for DG in kansas city.

Timko, did you have fun playing with Andy Jewett? I think he's ready to step up to advanced; he won intermediate at Kan-U-Wyco also.

brian p
phisherman77
Tree Magnet

Postby Timko » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:26 am

phisherman77 wrote:Chappy's the man. Always fun to have a good microbrew or orange whip with.

Rick is.....Rick. I've always thought he was a pretty good dude; he really wants the best for DG in kansas city.

Timko, did you have fun playing with Andy Jewett? I think he's ready to step up to advanced; he won intermediate at Kan-U-Wyco also.

brian p

Hey, look who decided to quit lurking!

Didn't play on Andy's card; he shot a 68 the 1st round, and 4 of us shot a 67 and were all on the lead card.

Andy playing intermediate...that's just plain absurd.
Timko

Postby phisherman77 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:46 am

dude's got a cannon for sure.

i've been harassing him about the intermediate thing for a while. especially at wyco when i predicted he would be throwing ~100 further than anyone else on his card. it might not have been that bad, but he can crush no doubt.
phisherman77
Tree Magnet

Postby Timko » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:00 pm

OK, enough KC rambling....who's actually going to this event? No one from Texas or Oklahoma is coming?
Timko

Postby phisherman77 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:28 pm

the mutant ticks scare everyone off.
phisherman77
Tree Magnet

Postby Timko » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:14 am

phisherman77 wrote:the mutant ticks scare everyone off.

1-800-Collect scares everyone off. The mutant ticks don't help though.
Timko

Postby jHarr » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:12 pm

I lived in KC for 01 & 02, almost made it over to vichy one a them years-
the place always got great reviews from the people I know who played it...

I also got one of my few adv am wins at the 2nd annual redbud open at ted's- whatever year that was- also won a sweet umbrella as a ctp that I still have...

tryin to get back down there next yr for the whirrleds & as a bonus its the year I turn 40 so thinkin about throwin with the am masters on my old home courses and actually being somewhere near the top of my division again- lol...

say hey to rich n chap for me too then- perhaps a few of the older waterworks leaguers may remember me too...
joe
jHarr
Noob

Next

Return to Tournaments