US DOUBLES CHAMPIONSHIPS

A place to post or request tournament information.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

US DOUBLES CHAMPIONSHIPS

Postby geoloseth » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:05 pm

I was perusing the PDGA forum and noticed that they just started this tournament. BUT they are limiting the field to 24 pro teams and 24 am teams. For the pros they are going down the list from the USDGC and inviting them to play. My BIG problem for the ams is the already gave away 6 am spots at the Clash tourney. That leaves 18 spots left for teams. These spots are being RAFFLED off. I mean WTF are they thinking. It really only makes sense to me to have all qualifiers or even going by points to chose the team captains for the ams.

If it were me, I would do it this way. Have the TDs keep track of and submit the results for the doubles rounds and the corresponding ratings and give them a points value. The same way that you qualify for the USDGC. I don't think it would be hard to start a whole series of sanctioned double tournaments since it seems most tourneys are only 3 rounds leaving time enough for a one round doubles tourney for points.

There is my rant. I just don't think something like a championship should be raffled off. There is a chance that you could have 18 rec teams with 2 adv, 2 int, and 2 masters(I think)
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby J. Ray » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:01 pm

Theres a pretty lively discussion going on about this on pdga DISCussion.

Yea I think the raffle is kind of crappy and subjective. This event was supposed to be showcasing the top AMs in the game. Why be so restrictive? :x
J. Ray
Noob

Postby geoloseth » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:40 am

That is where I read about it. It really is a bad way of picking teams. Next they're going to want people to play Russian roullete to get into the USDGC.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby J. Ray » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:35 am

How can you call it the US Doubles Championships if you've already given away six captain spots to the winning AM's @ the Clash in NC. Seems more like a regional thing to me. I'd love to travel there and play, but I'm not gambling money away hoping to clinch a spot.
J. Ray
Noob

Return to Tournaments