Upcoming Texas Tourneys

A place to post or request tournament information.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Upcoming Texas Tourneys

Postby Leopard » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:12 am

i'm going. played there for several years. good times... and sand.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby curt » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:21 am

I have played moody's. One word comes to mind: AWESOME!!!! You will definitely enjoy it. Definitely camp out, it adds a lot to the experience. It's one of those courses that is long, difficult, but fair. Also, if you're playing open/advanced be prepared to throw about a mile, on each hole.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby disc junkie » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:55 pm

WELLLLLLLLL

anyone else cruisin down to Moody's this weekend?!!?

I know Im there and so is Damson
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby Grayson » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:59 pm

I'm there, but will be playing intermediate, hopefully will be able to get in some practice on friday, but i don't have a dubs partner... otherwise will be playing the course blind..

hopefully with Moody's being a private course, i won't be at such a disadvantage as other courses that i've had to play blind and then get owned by some locals... it looks like my home course though, a little more wide open with some tech holes mixed in..

hope to get to meet some of you there!

name is grayson middlebrook, playing MA2, and carrying a blue revo dual pak
Grayson
2008 DGR Donator

Postby Leopard » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:03 pm

i'm MA2 also. i'll be the one with a bag of hot fire.

yes there may not be "locals" but there are highly skilled drug addicts with science-boggling muscle memory for shredding this place. i think it's a pretty challenging course... it is a Houck one after all. however some of the best holes are on the backwards course :)

it'll be fun as hell, but there will be baggers upon baggers. the course does kinda separate the bagger MA2s from the regular MA2s... a little distance or accuracy will cost you there.

the camping with bonus golf makes for a great weekend.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Postby disc junkie » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:27 pm

YeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaw! Hot Damn

I'll be there doing the opposite of bagging. I am donating to the Open division 8), luckily my sponsor is paying my entry.

I figure if they are paying why not play with the big boys and hopefully do nothing but improve.

Ill be the big bastard loafing around, trying to be as cool as Damson.

I too have never played Moodys so it should be interesting. I cant wait for this weekend!!! Camping and golf equals a lil slice of Heaven........bitches.

See yall there my fellow DGRers.

My name is Jason Gillia by the way so any one that feels like it hit me up
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby curt » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:53 pm

Jason,

one of these days you're gonna have to explain how you got a beef jerky company to sponsor you. (Not trying to say anything against your game, its there, just curious about the process). Also, I have been getting a lot of your discs through a middle man lately.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Leopard » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:22 pm

curt wrote:Jason,

one of these days you're gonna have to explain how you got a beef jerky company to sponsor you. (Not trying to say anything against your game, its there, just curious about the process). Also, I have been getting a lot of your discs through a middle man lately.

i keep telling him it's all an elaborate prank... ending in Jason showing up to a tourny with a signature-emblazoned JERK MY BEEF shirt. pretty soon he will be in a TV commercial saying that germans have great beef.

prank or reality? me and steezo both have computers. think about it...

PS - beef jerky company sponsoring disc golf? just about... goddamn brilliant :lol:
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Postby zj1002 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:46 pm

so I really want to play my first tourney this spring/summer. no clue how all this works or where to start out. any suggestions for a guy with 330 power and decent putting?
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby disc junkie » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:10 am

curt wrote:Jason,

Quite simple actually. I was in the right place at the right time.

I was throwing a round at Pease all by my lonesome when I came up on these two guys throwing at hole 3. As usual Pease was a lil backed up so they asked if I just wanted to finish the round with them and Im always down to play with new people so I did.

It just turns out that I was on fire that day and ended up shooting -8 that day so they were a lil impressed. We were just shooting the sh*t most of the day and so toward the end of the round one of the guys asked if I played in tournies and I said sure. So, he then proceeded to tell me he was starting a local beef jerky company and he wanted to sponsor me. Of course I was like hell yea bring it on sucka! So I emailed him a few days later and the rest is history.

So far they have sponsored me for one tourney. The Gonzo tourney for the HOTT series (tied for 1st in Advanced). Its been great they give me a crap load of jerky (I think im starting to smell like beef i eat so much of it) and they are constantly taking me out to get drunk and eat so its been good times so far.

The guys that are running the company are both 29 and they really like disc golf a lot but they are more on the rec/intermediate side. The one cool thing that has me impressed is that they are nothing but supportive and arent overly concerned with me winning every tourney. They just wanted me to play Open so I could improve faster and hopefully even win a few tournies in the Open division.

Im honestly probably on the lower end of the Open division but when I have those days when Im really just "ON" I feel that I can hang with just about anyone. I have even shout -12 at Wilco (believe it or not steezo). So the skill is there I just have some consistentcy issues (especially with putting), but Im working on that just about everyday.

As for getting some of my former discs, Damson and Steezo both have plenty of my sloppy seconds, so thats no suprise there. I have made some ridiculously silly trades with them over time. I hope the plastic you got treats you better than it did me :wink:
Last edited by disc junkie on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby curt » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:38 am

That's quite a story, congrats.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Postby disc junkie » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:02 am

koyok23 wrote:so I really want to play my first tourney this spring/summer. no clue how all this works or where to start out. any suggestions for a guy with 330 power and decent putting?

Id recommend playing in intermediate first just to get your feet wet and get a feel for how you handle playing in the tournament enviroment and go from there.

Its a great time and very addictive. The main thing I love about tournies is that everyone there are all about having a great time throwing plastic at some metal.

I used to be scared of tournies cause I thought that it would take away some of the fun I have playing golf. However I have found it to be just the opposite. Playing in tournies is an absolute blast espcecially because you are surrounded by people who all care about the game.
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby Leopard » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:40 am

disc junkie wrote:As for getting some of my former discs, Damson and Steezo both have plenty of my sloppy seconds, so thats no suprise there. I have made some ridiculously silly trades with them over time.

hahaha... not me! despite my total lack of morals, and child-punching habits, i try not to totally scam a junkie. steezo however... man he bent you over your own car! :lol:

i remember that shit well... it was like 12 Star Teerexes for a couple Monarchs :lol:
you showed up with an entire pile, and one by one he took it all, and i'm looking on after my like 3-for-5 trade :lol: :lol:

PS - i'm shipping out the white 12x Wraith i got that day, today, to victorb
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Postby disc junkie » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:48 am

Ted Damson wrote:
disc junkie wrote:As for getting some of my former discs, Damson and Steezo both have plenty of my sloppy seconds, so thats no suprise there. I have made some ridiculously silly trades with them over time.

hahaha... not me! despite my total lack of morals, and child-punching habits, i try not to totally scam a junkie. steezo however... man he bent you over your own car! :lol:

i remember that shit well... it was like 12 Star Teerexes for a couple Monarchs :lol:
you showed up with an entire pile, and one by one he took it all, and i'm looking on after my like 3-for-5 trade :lol: :lol:

PS - i'm shipping out the white 12x Wraith i got that day, today, to victorb

Haha...thats not exactly true. Steezo did get a crap load of discs from me for some Monarchs (which I now could care less about and have been traded..I did loove that stamp). But I was never bent over, all the discs he got from me were all discs I could care less about. I needed closet space :wink:

I remember that Wraith....its a heavy bugger...I got it from geoloseth (where he may be now)
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby Leopard » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:50 am

hmm... perhaps we went drinking immediately after that and i have reconstructed a sexier trade session

or maybe you drank the truth away!!!
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

PreviousNext

Return to Tournaments