West Virginia Open 2008

A place to post or request tournament information.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

West Virginia Open 2008

Postby roadkill » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:32 am

Are there any DGR forum users headed out to this very special event?

Held in the beautiful West Virginia mountains on two very challenging private courses this has been one of my favorite tournaments ever since the first WVO in 1994. Anyone who's ever played this event knows what I'm talkin about. Live music at night, bonfire,partying,home brew, camping with 150 other disc freaks and some great golf.

If you haven't been here are you really a disc golfer?
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Solbo » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:17 am

sounds like fun.

but if you've never been, or never WILL get a chance to compete in an a MSDGC, are you really a disc golfer? :wink:
Solbo's Hodgepodge (trade list)

Hey that's ME! @ 51 Seconds...

**Nuke | Wraith | Orc | Force | River | Firebird | Q-Sent | Roc | Meteor | Stingray | Magnet**
Solbo
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ching Stamped Roc

Postby roadkill » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:21 am

I would like to get to MSDGC but it's so darn hard to get a spot.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:44 am

Solbo wrote:sounds like fun.

but if you've never been, or never WILL get a chance to compete in an a MSDGC, are you really a disc golfer? :wink:

WVO is a different bear :shock:
Far away from everything, tucked back in beautiful WV, awesome feeling in the air.

I'm probably going up for the partying and to watch some golf. I want to get loose and not have to worry about playing. I played in the WV am championship earlier this year. Hopefully I'll see you up their Roadkill.
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby roadkill » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:00 pm

Yeah Man.

I'll be playing in the old man division. I hope to make the top 4 final nine but it's going to be tough going up against Pat Pitts, Jim Myers and John Gregory.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby tim » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:06 pm

I'll be there. Can't wait. Best tourney of the year, IMHO. I'd advise anyone within about a 400 mile radius to make it a priority to get out there. You'll be glad you did.

Two courses are both awesome. Here are reviews of thThe Woodshed and the [/url=http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1910]Whippin' Post[/url].

Getting close to full, with 119 players signed up as of today, so register now if you're interested in playing.
Flick long and prosper.
VP/Wizard | Roc/Buzz | Firebird | Teebird | Destroyer
Vibram Putter tester -- feel free to ask me any questions.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Postby ziggy » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Indeed - i took a trip out there in 2005 to play it.

Boy o' Boy.. The course itself is insane. The travel to get there even more insane.

Once you are there - it's no holds barred. Bring your own toilet paper kind of shenanigans!

For me, the best part was clear skies in the night as i floated in the pond staring at the stars.

The best golf was clearing Whipping post #2 for two rounds to a safe 4.

I have never read about a "birdie pot" until i played there.

Deaf Disc Golf Nationals was there and definitely a local luck factor for anyone who has played. I doubt anyone who showed up to play "blind" has fared well at this event for it requires a lot of inner peace as you $%^& the gauntlet.
ziggy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby roadkill » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:40 pm

Couple more days........ a couple more days....... 60 hrs and counting til I'm headed to the Woodshed. 127 playas pre-reged to whack some treez at the Woodshed.

The Whippin Post, the whippin post, hoping to hit more fairways than most at the Whipin Post.

It's going to be great: golfing during the day, partying at night, camping under the stars hoping the next day to string some pars...

Couple more days..... couple more days....
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby tim » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:30 am

ziggy wrote:I doubt anyone who showed up to play "blind" has fared well at this event for it requires a lot of inner peace as you $%^& the gauntlet.

I was out there for the first time in Summer 2007 for the WV Am Championships -- it was my first disc golf tourney after a four-year hiatus away from the sport (played a lot of Ultimate, tore an ACL, came back to disc golf). Anyway, I showed up morning-of with zero time for warm-up and no idea about the courses. I started the tourney with a triple-putt four, a six, a six, a six, a four, and was sitting there five holes in and eleven strokes over par... I decided to just sit back and enjoy the beautiful courses since I thought I'd iced myself out of contention.

49 holes later, I found myself on the top card for the final 10-hole playoff, and ended up winning Advanced with a big gallery following around -- it was am amazing tourney. It was also the first time I can ever remember playing a whole tourney and not taking a single two the entire time. It was just crazy to win Advanced with ZERO birdies across 64 holes of golf. Never had played courses quite like that, and will always remember the incredible challenge.

Can't wait to get back to Paw Paw. See you all out there. 69 hours and counting until teeoff!!!
Flick long and prosper.
VP/Wizard | Roc/Buzz | Firebird | Teebird | Destroyer
Vibram Putter tester -- feel free to ask me any questions.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Jsw » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:16 pm

My Carolina surf trip got post-pwned until next month. So I'm going to take the drive up there to check this baby out.

I might go up Friday afternoon so I can get a round in since I've never been before. Are there any fees for camping up there? Do they sell any plastic? Anything I should remember NOT to forget :lol:
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby roadkill » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:31 am

No camping fees on the weekend of the tourney.

Bring:
Bug Spray
Lots of water and ice
Ibuprofen
Glow discs for any glow golf you may want to play
Any disposable discs for cliff throwing off route 9
toilet paper
Rain gear to keep Fay away

Normal camp stuff ie. tent, food,chairs

Remember: closest supplies (and civilization) are a 30 min drive away so bring all that you'll need
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby uNicedmeMan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:42 am

roadkill wrote: Any disposable discs for cliff throwing off route 9

be quick if your gonna do this (and i reccomend that you do this). The owners of that diner were lame and yelled at us last time.
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:12 am

I am not going to make it but I will be up in Paw Paw WV the next weekend for a family get together thing. Good luck to anyone heading up there.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Jsw » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:47 am

Cool, thanks. I'm going to run out to wally world tonight and pick up some stuff. I have all the camping stuff already since I love the outdoors.

No glow discs though, probably should get a glow Roc down the road :x
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby uNicedmeMan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:49 am

Jsw wrote:Cool, thanks. I'm going to run out to wally world tonight and pick up some stuff. I have all the camping stuff already since I love the outdoors.

No glow discs though, probably should get a glow Roc down the road :x

Or a bobber light or two.
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Next

Return to Tournaments