West Virginia Open 2008

A place to post or request tournament information.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby roadkill » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:57 am

uNicedmeMan wrote:
roadkill wrote: Any disposable discs for cliff throwing off route 9

be quick if your gonna do this (and i reccomend that you do this). The owners of that diner were lame and yelled at us last time.

The Panorama Restaurant (fine dining with the biggest cuts of prime rib I've ever seen) doesn't open till almost noon.

I would try to reserve the cliff driving for the morning hours when there are no eye witnesses to rat you out. I usually stop on the way home on Monday morning.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Jsw » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:20 pm

Are dogs allowed? I might bring the mutt 8)

Is it best to go Friday night or Saturday Morning?
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby plastic_fondler » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:25 am

Dogs are allowed. Its best to get their as early as possible....so friday night. Enjoy...
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: firebird

Postby roadkill » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:13 pm

Here are the results as my memory serves:

Open:
Markus Kallstrom
Mike Moser
Brian Skinner
Brad Schick
Tony Ellis

Masters:
Dave Devine
John Gregory
Jim Myers
Joe Pelchat
Terry Roddy
Steve Maerz
John Biscoe

Grandmasters
Ray Rogers
Lewis Graninger
Landon Furlong
KB Clark

Women:
Kristen Weidle
Kelly Boyce
Liz Shooner
Lindsay Lugo
Lisa Warner
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Markus F'ing Kallstrom is the MAN!

Postby roadkill » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:32 pm

This was a great time again.

Nice weather, an excellent turnout of great people, good competition, live music, partying, camping and ... oh yeah .....great golf on the two most amazing course in the beautiful wilderness of the West Virginia mountains.

Markus' performance lived up to the legendary stories about his super powers. He threw all three rounds in the 50s which has never been done before. He shot a 55 (course record) on the Whipping Post, a 58 on the Woodshed and then a 57 on the Whipping Post. Tony Ellis told me he was throwing 550' on hole 6 (Chloe's Run) with pinpoint accuracy. I saw him throw pin high on hole 17 Woodshed with relative ease ( a hole where most pros are 100' short) .I also saw him throw an amazing shot on the gauntlet (hole 3 W. Shed). It plastered a tree with serious steam and his lie was still further down the fairway then I'd ever seen before. He is a machine with mad skills. He also seemed like a nice guy and was a good sport about some of the West Virginia jokes and ribbing. He even did a great somersault into the pond with the other division winners as is tradition every year.

Anyone who didn't make it missed out big time.

Was sad to hear Tony is stepping down as TD, but hopefully someone will step up and carry on the tournament's excellence.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jsw » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:54 pm

I got in there Friday night, was a fun weekend. Had to leave Sunday morning for a fantasy football draft but I still got a lot of partying in 8)

Nice meeting new folks and seeing a few familiar faces. Maybe next year I'll play in the AM event.
Jsw

Re: Markus F'ing Kallstrom is the MAN!

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:21 am

roadkill wrote: I saw him throw pin high on hole 17 Woodshed with relative ease ( a hole where most pros are 100' short)

Doooood his drive on hole 2 woodshed during the playoffs was the farthest uphill drive I had ever seen. Skinner had a 20' or so putt for the duce on 17 during the finals, Markus was pin high but like 60 left.

I thought that Markus' play was pretty loose in the playoffs. I mean he was crushing drives but his upshots and putts were sorta ho hum. I guess at that point he was really just trying to keep mose at bay for the W.

Big ups to bored member "tim" Haynes for his giant flick approach field ace for two on hole 14 whipping post. Right after he walked over and talked with us on the side of the fairway and told us he would ace it.
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby roadkill » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:13 am

Kallstrom had it wrapped up before the finals began. When Moser missed his putt on WP 14 and then Kallstrom parked the next hole it was the final nails in the Moser coffin.

I was disappointed Kallstrom didn't try to drive the pin on WS 1 cause at that point he had a 6 stroke lead with 6 holes to play.

I've seen Tyler Horne drive to that exact spot on hole 2 during the finals in 2005. I've also seen Gangloff and Blakely in that general vicinity also.

The amazing stuff Kallstrom did I heard from Tony. Like he parked WS 11 with a total hyzer the whole way up the hill. I also heard he overthrew WP 15 by 120 feet and crushed a 575 foot drive in the center of Cloe's Run.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby tim » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:48 am

great times at the tourney this year, as always. good to meet roadkill. And Jeremy (jsw), great to meet you and glad you joined us NoVA folks for the weekend. I of course won't be playing in the AM tourney next year, but I hope to be there to help out and cheer you and others on... Patapsco will teach you everything you need to get out there are shoot some great golf at PawPaw next summer.

Will and Greg -- sorry I didn't get to see too much of your group during the weekend, but great that you were able to make it out to the course to enjoy the tourney.

I have never been to Paw Paw on a nicer weekend -- weather couldn't have been better, and the course was immaculate. Great times with everyone there.

And yes, getting the deuce on Tony's Valley (WP14), was my personal highlight of the tourney. First round, that hole mocked me. I threw a great drive, hit the basket on my upshot for the near-deuce, and the disc rolled 40' away off the basket kick. Then the putt hit chains, bounced out, and rolled 35' away in the other direction. Fourth shot was a near miss that at least stayed by the basket, and I took my five -- which was frustrating after hitting the basket in 2. So coming back on the second day and having the deuce stick was one of the most vindicating/exhilarating moments of all the rounds I've ever played at Paw Paw.

I can't stress enough how amazing it is to get out to the WVO, and encourage everyone to put it on their calendars for next year. Bring your friends, bring your family, and just enjoy the weekend.

I brought a friend along (an Ultimate player) who has never picked up a golf disc and she had a great time spectating, swimming, playing various disc/Frisbee games after rounds, and just enjoying the camaraderie and beauty of the place.

Huge thanks to all the folks who came to Paw Paw and didn't compete, but were there to cheer on the players, see some great golf, and enjoy the weekend.
Flick long and prosper.
VP/Wizard | Roc/Buzz | Firebird | Teebird | Destroyer
Vibram Putter tester -- feel free to ask me any questions.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Postby tim » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:54 am

I do agree with roadkill: the finals were surprisingly mundane. No one got a great drive off the hill on Tony's Valley; no one tried to crush the pond on WS Hole 1; no exciting clutch putts or field aces... With the ratings and abilities of the players in the finals, I was disappointed that no one was playing for the crowd... in that regard, the other pro event and the two am events I've been to at Paw Paw were all more exciting to watch.

The best crowd-pleasing finals I've ever seen were at Moody's Red Rock tourney down in Texas several years ago, where the final 9 were $50/hole skins with the top four players competing. Lots of lights out throws, sick putts, field-aces, etc... all inspired by the fact that the tourney was over and each shot was all-or-nothing, instead of pros having to worry about their final ranking. I don't know that this is the best way to run a tourney, but it certainly made it more exciting for the crowd to have the extra cash on the line, and for the pros to be throwing each hole accordingly.
Flick long and prosper.
VP/Wizard | Roc/Buzz | Firebird | Teebird | Destroyer
Vibram Putter tester -- feel free to ask me any questions.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Postby roadkill » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:18 am

Last years finals at WVO were great. Last year there was a 5 way tie for second going in so those guys were duking it out and were shifting back and forth while Mose put on a clinic for the crowd including parking the last hole with a roller.

Last year both Patt Pitts and Matt Blakely skipped their tee shots off the dock on Whipping Post 18 for deuces. Pitts also bounced one off the cameraman's chest to park his approach on Woodshed 18.

But aside from a suspense-less final, this year was great! Glad I got to put a face recognition to Tim. I finally got a sampling of Ray Rogers' stuffed jalapenos and stuffed habaneros. Music and stars were great as usual and the course was immaculatly prepared for the event. On top of that I took home $168 for my 6th place finish in Masters!
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jsw » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:00 pm

tim wrote:great times at the tourney this year, as always. good to meet roadkill. And Jeremy (jsw), great to meet you and glad you joined us NoVA folks for the weekend. I of course won't be playing in the AM tourney next year, but I hope to be there to help out and cheer you and others on... Patapsco will teach you everything you need to get out there are shoot some great golf at PawPaw next summer.

The NOVA squad was very good to me, nice meeting you all and sharing some beers and laughs. Shoot me a PM next time any of you are headed to Patapsco or Rockburn.

Seeing some of you guys throw has got me motivated for sure, hope to see you guys next year.
Jsw

Previous

Return to Tournaments