1st annual maurerton fly

A place to post or request tournament information.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

1st annual maurerton fly

Postby chunk » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:33 pm

c tournament 9/28/08 in the beautiful shenandoah valley. more details at http://www.spotsydiscgolf.com/images/08flyflyer.pdf and http://www.pdga.org/schedule/event.php?TournID=7830.
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby tim » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:26 pm

I don't know if anyone is heading out to the Shenandoah's this weekend for the Maurertown FLY, but wanted to give a reminder for the one-day tourney.

I wouldn't be mentioning it, except I was at a church retreat over the weekend that was near the course, so while I was out there, I dropped by to check it out, and it greatly exceeded my expectations for a 9-hole course. It's only about 90 miles from D.C., and its a beautiful drive out there.

My impressions: this is a gorgeous course. Easily one of the best 9-hole courses I have ever played. and unlike a lot of 9-hole courses, this one doesn't ever feel cramped. There is probably enough land to build a mediocre 18-hole course, but the designers instead decided to build a great 9-hole course. So there is never any overlap between holes or danger of getting hit from people playing other holes. So speed-of-play should be pretty good.

Holes range from about 300-450 feet, and teepads are clearly marked. I injured my throwing hand playing football the day before (jammed two fingers, one seriously), so I didn't really play the course, but walked it through with a couple of really flippy, low-power discs just for grins, since I could throw those with zero snap/power without hurting my fingers.

From the shorts, most holes are reasonably easy 3s, so a good player will take some 2s. From the longs, most holes become challenging 3s, many of which force a great risk-reward, where you can play placement golf for a good chance at a three, or run a full-power drive for a low-percentage deuce and an almost guaranteed 4 if you miss the lane or the landing area. Very well-designed course in this regard.

Holes are beautiful and there are lots of trees and elevation changes. Good mix of holes.

I think the best thing I can do to sum up the course is that it doesn't feel like a 9-hole course (which tend to be pretty mediocre), it feels like a great front half to an 18-hole course. Almost like 9-holes taken from Tyler State Park up in PA or from Loriella down in VA -- they are the most similar courses that I've played that I can think of quickly.

If my hand is better by the weekend, I will probably head out there. Hope to see a full field of other folks out there as well, including some DGCR readers.
Flick long and prosper.
VP/Wizard | Roc/Buzz | Firebird | Teebird | Destroyer
Vibram Putter tester -- feel free to ask me any questions.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Return to Tournaments