AM Worlds question

A place to post or request tournament information.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

AM Worlds question

Postby Torg » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:47 pm

I was wondering how you qualify to play in this tournament (I'm over 40)? If I didn't play in any tourneys this year can I still make it somehow?
Torg
Tree Magnet

Re: AM Worlds question

Postby Timko » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:33 pm

Chuck will be able to answer this question better, but I think a top percentage from each state by points from the year before get invited. This happens in Feburary or March. During this time, those who didn't get invited will be allowed to sign up on a wait list. After April or so, the wait list is used to fill the remaining spots.

I imagine that Adv Masters (I assume this is the division you'll be playing in) works in a similar way. The only difference between this division and AM1 is that there are fewer spots allocated to Adv Masters overall.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:03 pm

That's pretty much it. Everyone who wants to enter Worlds can get in even if not invited, as long as they register immediately when registration is opened to everyone. This is usually sometime in May or the first of June. Only invitees can register prior to that but no division has ever filled strictly from those invited.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Torg » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:31 pm

Well, at least there is a chance then.
Torg
Tree Magnet

Postby Timko » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:28 pm

I don't think a Worlds has ever filled. The record is the 2004 Pro-Am in Des Moines, with a little over 900 total participants.

While I won't say it's impossible here in KC '09, we're planning on capacity of at least that much.
Timko

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:38 pm

Some divisions have maxed out but never before the registration was open for everyone who didn't get invited. Advanced Master is most likely to max out in 2009 based on Tulsa meaning no more than 144 allowed no matter how many courses you have. And Advanced is capped at 288 no matter what and that was hit at K-Zoo.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Timko » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:01 pm

I would not be suprised to see AM1 or Ad. Masters fill in 2009, due to the centralized location.
Timko

Return to Tournaments