How to dye a yellow champ disc with red(think superman) dye?

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

How to dye a yellow champ disc with red(think superman) dye?

Postby elnino » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:07 pm

I'm a noob and i'm cold dying my champ discs with safety stickers....biohazard, radioactive and the best is mr yuck cuz he is green and mean!!!! anyhow to get the bright red on yellow what is the best formula of rit dye. thanks...btw how long do you need to dye the champ discs if no heat is added? i'm still kinda purple. thanks
Positive feedback 56 Trade
Destroyer=Firebird=Striker=Roc=Wizard
elnino
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird/wizard

Re: How to dye a yellow champ disc with red(think superman) dye?

Postby AciDBatH666 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:22 pm

Not sure about the color matching, but I know I used to keep my cold dyes overnight when I was doing it that way.
It's honestly a lot easier just to heat up your dye and soak it that way. Which is why I dont do it cold anymore.
Faster, and more vibrant colors.

As for getting more red onto a yellow disc... Don't quote me on this, but I THINK you can balance it out by using a color wheel. From what I "THINK", you can mix your red with some Violet.... and it may bring out more red in top of your color. I don't know tho. Im trying to think about how it would work with the colors on a color wheel.
Meaning, yellow is opposite to Violet. Red is 1/2 way between violet and yellow.
So when you dye red on a yellow disc, You get Orange.
So to counterbalance that you'd need to go past red and add some of that color to bring more of the red out. Just a theory tho.
Maybe you could use a spraypaint or water color option in Photoshop or something to blend colors and find out. I may look into it honestly just to see about making certain colors appear like they should on different discs.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby pointdisc » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:30 pm

Let it sit a while in the dye and it should come out red. Dyed red over orange on a champ disc already and it came out red (of course, orange is half red to begin w/).

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby ChUcK » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:00 pm

yeah, just dye it red. It will end up red enough for a jazz quartet. There will still be a random hint of orange to the finished dye though, depending on the initial yellow hue. The thin flight plates of the high speed drivers can make for basically clear canvases no matter what color the plastic, and red RIT is a particularly strong color.

Don't do violet dye on an opaque yellow, though, because opposite colors on the wheel make brown when you mix them (red+green, blue+orange, yellow+violet).
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Return to Disc Artwork