hippiediscdudes dyes!!

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

hippiediscdudes dyes!!

Postby hippiediscdude » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:33 pm

Hey Everybody!
Been dying and selling discs for a little while. Just wanted to share/promote some of my work. Any feedback is appreciated! Peace,Love,and Happy Disc Golfing!!!
Blue Buddha!
Fish Yang!
One Eyed Smiley!
Flower Power!
Jet Monkey!
Pink Dragon!
Red Marble Dragon!
Dragon Sunset!
Dragon Yang Bottom!
Dragon Yang Top!
Peace Leaf!
Peace Leaf 2!
Tribal Spiral!
Trippy Pinwheel!
Flowery Spiraly!
Peace Black Out! :mrgreen:
Here flies the sweet dyes! http://www.scidye.com
hippiediscdude
Noob

Favorite Disc: 11x KC Pro Tee Bird

Re: hippiediscdudes dyes!!

Postby chunk » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:25 am

nice stuff. have you ever done some dancing bears or anything?
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby Leopard » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:06 am

good stuff! are you guydro from ebay?
keltik wrote:I think ZAM had the right idea.
dgdave wrote:Listen to ZAM.
jsun3thousand wrote:zam is already in your pants.
i post things at facebook.com/PostID
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby hippiediscdude » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:51 pm

Havent done any dancing bears yet. Its a good idea though. I'm not guydro from ebay here is a link to my ebay stuff. Nothing up there now but I will be posting some stuff tonight or tomorrow! Thanks every body! Peace, Love, and Happy Disc Golfing!!!

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/hippiesld
hippiediscdude
Noob

Postby JohnnyB » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:16 pm

Small world. I've done that dragon yang and marijuana peace leaf. Nice dyes.
"A hedgehog was also killed"
JohnnyB
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Star tee-rex

Postby hippiediscdude » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:06 pm

I found the dragon yang and the peace leaf online but not on frisbees! I guess if you used them too then that means we both have good tastes when it comes to frisbee design choice. Both of these designs have been pretty popular. Thanks for the support!! Peace, Love, and Happy Disc Golfing!!!
hippiediscdude
Noob

Postby StillDead » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:34 pm

Those are some sick discs..... They look amazing!!!!
StillDead
Noob

Favorite Disc: Elite Z Wasp

Postby hippiediscdude » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:14 am

Whats up everybody!! Thanks so much for the support and the positive comments! Just built my first website, its still a work in progress but its getting there! Just got alot of new stuff in so check it out!!!

http://www.scidye.com
Let me know what you think!!! Peace, Love, and Happy Disc Golfing!!!
hippiediscdude
Noob

Postby malinkie » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:28 pm

I love the buddah!! Did you sponge it to get that marble effect?
.: Reaper : Valkyrie : Teebird : Roc : Spider : JK Pro Aviar X :.
My Throw
My Dyes
malinkie
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JK Pro Aviar X

Postby hippiediscdude » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:52 pm

To get the marble effect I didnt use a sponge or dip it. I use an acetone/rit/hot water mix. I used the bright blue rit dye and the black. I use more acetone than water with the black 80/20( its good if the black is still grainy). 50/50 water acetone for the blue. I dont know the exact measurements I just do it by eye. You want the black to be way more concentrated than the blue. Then using squirt bottles I lay down a full base coat of blue let it sit for for about 30 seconds. Then I do a quick rinse hot water then cold. Dont let the disc dry! Leaving the water on it aids in the marble effect. I then put on 3 layers of dye very rapidly starting at the center and working my way out. The layers go blue/black/blue put them all on one right after another. Let it sit for about 10 seconds then rinse hot/cold. This is how I get the effect. It will take a little experimenting but you can get the marble with just about any color. Try it out let me know how it works for you!! Good Luck!!

Check out some of our dyes!!!
hippiediscdude
Noob

My latest creation!!!

Postby hippiediscdude » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:33 pm

Check out my latest dye! This thing looks so sweet when its spinning! Check out my website for lots of sweet custom dyed golf discs! We just remodeled the whole site!! We have a store coming soon, a page that displays all our ebay auctions, a gallery of our work, lots of disc golf links, and much more to come!! All discs are $19.99 with free shipping!! Stop in check us out!! Let me know what you think.

Peace, Love, and Happy Disc Golfing!!!
hippiediscdude
Noob

Postby ChUcK » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:11 pm

OK, I'll let you know what I think. I think you use too many exclamation points. I think you should stop attempting to sell reproductions of artwork that isn't yours. I think you are using DGR as an advertisement, which debases the entire quest-for-knowledge zeitgeist of disc golf that exists in the pages of this forum.

I could be the only one who feels this way, but who knows... maybe other DGR readers feel the same way, and they're just waiting for someone who's enough of an asshole (re: ChUcK) to point it out.

That's what I think.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby pointdisc » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:36 pm

ChUcK wrote:I could be the only one who feels this way, but who knows... maybe other DGR readers feel the same way, and they're just waiting for someone who's enough of an asshole (re: ChUcK) to point it out.

Yeah, what ChUcK said (hides behind ChUcK).

good work, but quit the "come buy my discs at my website" posts. Maybe if it were just for a hobby, but it's getting old...

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby AciDBatH666 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:30 pm

Yeah, it's sort of annoying.
I wanted to do the same thing as you. Create a website, have ppl email me with pictures and stuff, and make a nice lil side job for myself. But I contacted some lawyer friends because I was concerned with copywrite infringement.
I went and bought a plotter, and spent a little bit of money. Started learning the software, and I honestly don't care how long it takes to make my money back now. It's fun to be able to take an image and be capable of slapping it on a disc in a fraction of the time it used to take me by hand.
But I enjoy doing it, so I don't go throwing my name out there all over trying to get ppl to order from me.

I did put up a post on my local forum with images of my work, and trying to gauge what sort of interest there was for that kind of thing. AND, I included this in my post.
Also TDs, I'll do donation discs for your tourney at no charge, if you donate the discs. All I ask is that you mention Acid at your tourney during the handouts/awards and tell your people where to search for me (the SN boards). I generally need the disc(s) 3-4 weeks ahead of time. Even tho I've streamlined my turn around time to a minimal amount, I have a full time job and other priorities during the week and can't always do something last minute.

I don't mind doing dyes for free for events. I'd like to make a little bit of money on the side, but I'm willing to give back to the DG community around me. And the same goes here for DGR. I've been here since the beginning. Don't believe me, check it here http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/memberlist.php
I was the 5th person to sign up on the board in 2004, just 2 days after it came about. I'm not too big on exploiting free places to try to gain profit. I put a comment in my sig to contact me for dye work, but that's it. My name, along with ChUcK's name are pretty well known here so it's not like we'd have to really advertise out the ass to get exposure. Sure I might try to sell some plastic on ebay, but I'd like to sell my own artwork. stuff that hasn't been done before.
I see a lot of the same crap on ebay. Superman, Punisher, 420, American flag dyes... Dark side of the moon...
I mean come on, there's gotta be some creativity out there. And that's what I plan on hitting up. But I don't plan on going balls to the wall and throwing my name out there everywhere I can for free.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:04 pm

ChUcK wrote:OK, I'll let you know what I think. I think you use too many exclamation points. I think you should stop attempting to sell reproductions of artwork that isn't yours. I think you are using DGR as an advertisement, which debases the entire quest-for-knowledge zeitgeist of disc golf that exists in the pages of this forum.

Agreed on all points, especially the copyright infringement, that's really lame.

Plus, there was already a Hippie Golf Wear out there, and they did some decent work.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Next

Return to Disc Artwork