JT's Gallery

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

JT's Gallery

Postby jtkustomizer » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:50 pm

I am planning on doing my first dyes tonight but dont have a pan for the stove and was wondering if I can just use straight acetone with rit and get good results.

Or could I just boil some water and mix my rit in with that then soak the discs while it is still hot?

What is my best option? I am just doing single color dyes to start with.
Last edited by jtkustomizer on Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Destroyer, Firebird, Teebird, Valkryie, FLX Drone, Buzzz, Impact and Warlock
jtkustomizer
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: www.gorilla-boy.com

Re: Acetone

Postby malinkie » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:10 pm

My first ever dye was hot water outta the tap then the Rit added. stirred then let the disc soak while it cooled. I need the disc in for a couple of hours before the color took but it did work :)

I went to the local thrift store to get a pot for the next one tho.

Good luck.
.: Reaper : Valkyrie : Teebird : Roc : Spider : JK Pro Aviar X :.
My Throw
My Dyes
malinkie
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JK Pro Aviar X

Postby Roy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:20 pm

You can mix rit and acteone. some of the crystals dont dissolve and the folor is lighter, but you can just paint it on.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby RustyP » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:18 pm

The disc in my avatar pic was dyed with Rit + room temp Acetone...I just used very little Acetone and painted the mixture (which was very thick and gritty) onto the disc and let it set for about 30min. The red came out pretty deep...you can see the original color on the TX outline (off-white).
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby jtkustomizer » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:04 pm

Well I tried floating my first dye in the acetone/rit mix and the acetone started pulling the vinyl up off the disc and I ended my first experiment with this.....

I will be mixing rit with water tonight and trying to refloat this same disc with the same pattern. I will post my results at a later time.

If anybody is wondering I got my vinyl cut-out by Jeremy Rusco @ Dynamic Discs and if you would like to send him your design he will try to cut it out for you. he is also very reasonable with the prices too. I sent multiple different designs to him and he cut them and mailed them to me. I had another of this firebird so I put it on as closely to the first and will float it again later this evening plus some of the other designs that i have ready to be dipped
jtkustomizer
Fairway Surgeon

Postby AciDBatH666 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:39 pm

Yeah you gotta watch it when you put acetone in your mix. It will eat up the vinyl.
I found that out quick when I did one of my first dye jobs and I was applying the color with a brush with just a small bit of acetone and powder. IT would stain VERY fast and very deep, but it also would start to eat the edges i had cut out of the contact paper.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby hippiediscdude » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:29 pm

Ive used a 50/50 acetone and hot water mix and had great results. You dont need to let them soak that long when your using acetone. Usually a couple minutes max. Straight acetone will eat up vinyl and your disc if your not careful!!
Here flies the sweet dyes! http://www.scidye.com
hippiediscdude
Noob

Favorite Disc: 11x KC Pro Tee Bird

Postby JohnnyB » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:48 pm

I've never used acetone. I mix my rit with water and bring it close to boiling and the color stays nice after just a 5 minute dip.
"A hedgehog was also killed"
JohnnyB
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Star tee-rex

Postby stoneman » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:19 pm

Same here. I SUCK at cutting up vinyl, but my colors are nice and dark. :D
stoneman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jtkustomizer » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:46 pm

Well I went to a local thrift/value store and found an electric skillit for 15 bucks.

I came home and started dyeing some discs. i am addicted now. Dyeing is just about as much fun as playing. I will post pics tomorrow sometime but for now its time for bed. I will post them up in the order that I finished them so we can see the progress. I had some minor bleed throughs and various bleeds onto the backs but my last 2 were my best dyes. Now I just need to order some more vinyl from rusco so I can have some more fun floating discs in dye.
jtkustomizer
Fairway Surgeon

Re: JT's Gallery

Postby jtkustomizer » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:38 am

Here we go with my first group of dyes. This is the order that I floated them too

Pro Beast. Tried soaking overnight in Rit and water but ended up putting this one in the heat
Champion Teebird. Tried soaking overnight in Rit and water but ended up putting this one in the heat
Champion Beast
Glo Firebird This was the one that I tried floating in the acetone
Champion Teebird....Thanks ChUcK
Star Firebird
Star Teebird
2nd Glo Firebird
Champion Teebird
jtkustomizer
Fairway Surgeon

Postby malinkie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:11 pm

The black hole stencil is awesome :) I love the job you did re-dying the previous mistake. Nice cover up :)
.: Reaper : Valkyrie : Teebird : Roc : Spider : JK Pro Aviar X :.
My Throw
My Dyes
malinkie
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JK Pro Aviar X

Postby jtkustomizer » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:43 pm

Here is a dye that I did last night and boy whas it a big pain in the arse getting it ready to dip. Peeling the contact paper off took a while because it kept pulling up parts of the vinyl that needed to stay on the disc. Then pulling the small parts out was the same way. it took about an hour to get this disc ready to dip. I have one more of these pre-cut and these 2 will be the only ones that are done this way just because I am not that patient. I also had the heat turned up on the dye a little to much and airbubbles got trapped underneath the disc and clovered it.....OOOPS now i have a brand new clovered buzzz.
Here is the clovers :? :?
jtkustomizer
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JohnnyB » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:55 pm

Nice work man.
On that one you fixed, if you don't mind losing the glo of the disc, and want it to look cleaner. You can do a full submerge into a red or blue or whatever color you think would make a good background. You don't even have to mask it out since any additional color won't effect the black dye.
"A hedgehog was also killed"
JohnnyB
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Star tee-rex

Postby jtkustomizer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:25 am

Here is my first freehand. I screwed it up by forgeting some cuts, and i tried to acetone and brush them on and didnt like the results so I covered the whole interior of the stamp the same color.
jtkustomizer
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Disc Artwork