My first Dyes

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

My first Dyes

Postby havasuDG » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:18 am

I decided to learn how to dye discs two nights ago and my first one was just to see if I could get the process down, last night My main dye was the darth vader stencil I found on here, and then tonight I did Yoda, and put Yoda Ace on the disc because everytime I threw Vader today I said Vader Ace before my shot.
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3345/3208382309_673d76872a.jpg?v=0/img]
First dye learning the technique
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3478/3208383989_ca7d4d9aff.jpg?v=0/img]
Second dye, matching my friends first, same night as the first
[imghttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3098/3215020146_68ec0441eb_m.jpg[/img]
Third dye, second night
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3468/3215010292_f638204f6e.jpg?v=1232520438/img]
Fourth Dye, third night, actually tonight. Took a long time but my favorite so far
havasuDG
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Teebird

Re: My first Dyes

Postby Fullbag » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:36 am

havasuDG wrote:I decided to learn how to dye discs two nights ago and my first one was just to see if I could get the process down, last night My main dye was the darth vader stencil I found on here, and then tonight I did Yoda, and put Yoda Ace on the disc because everytime I threw Vader today I said Vader Ace before my shot.
First dye learning the technique
Second dye, matching my friends first, same night as the first
Third dye, second night
Fourth Dye, third night, actually tonight. Took a long time but my favorite so far
Fullbag
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: KC Pro Aviar

Postby havasuDG » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:40 pm

Thanks for the help there
havasuDG
Noob

Postby ChUcK » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:07 pm

What are you doing dyeing discs? Isn't the weather in Havasu still golf-friendly?

I like how you can see the relatively large jumps in quality when someone initially starts dyeing discs. Soon you'll be wondering whether or not you can successfully translate an Escher print to a disc...
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby AciDBatH666 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:16 pm

ChUcK wrote: Soon you'll be wondering whether or not you can successfully translate an Escher print to a disc...

I tried cutting out an Escher print the other day.
LOL, too much detail. F that.
I'm currently working on trying to get HR Giger's "Birthmachine" done. Getting closer and closer to getting it cut out with a reasonable amount of detail.

And back on topic. Nice starting dyes. Once you've gone thru the process each time you notice little things each time that you can work on. And you'll make cleaner cuts, and pick better images to work onto a disc. And that's 90% of the creativity there. Picking what goes on the disc and what doesn't.
Keep it up :)
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby havasuDG » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:07 pm

Havasu weather is always golf friendly, either before or after work depending on the day I play at least a couple hours. Right now its wind free sunny and mid 70s. Over the summer itll be tricky playing in the 120s but Im still gonna be doing it, its too much of an addiction not to.
Im only dying the discs when it gets too late to actually be on the course playing, and getting dark this early is giving me plenty of time. I still cant decide on my next dye, but I think Im gonna move away from star wars until Im good enough to pull off a couple crazy detailed graffiti stencils I found recently of a little girl taking an AT-AT on a walk
havasuDG
Noob

Postby AciDBatH666 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:55 pm

Come on man. You're doin good :)
Just take your time, and stick with simple. Simple works. I stuck with simple shadows and just got progressively more and more complicated. I just couldnt dye anything easy anymore because no one at the park would give me the "HOLY $HIT" response.... So I had to keep outdoing myself. I got so complicated that I didnt even want to cut anything out by hand anymore because my carpal tunnel was just telling me to quit picking such hard images to cut out. Lol.
But I've moved on to doing all my image manipulation with software and with my plotter.
It wont take long till you see an image and know what to do to it to slap it on a disc and make it look good.
Keep up the good work y0!
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby havasuDG » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:11 pm

My next disc I made tonight, it turned out decently I think.
havasuDG
Noob

Postby malinkie » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:56 pm

I wouldn't mind huckin' an 'Obama' Z Buzz ;) Good job.
.: Reaper : Valkyrie : Teebird : Roc : Spider : JK Pro Aviar X :.
My Throw
My Dyes
malinkie
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JK Pro Aviar X

Postby metal » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:12 pm

hope ya smack some trees with that disc
RATTLE THE CAGE!!!
metal
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Challenger