Fritz: Galleria of Dye :)

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Two New Dyes from Fritz

Postby RoomTenONine » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:35 am

Fritz wrote:
RoomTenONine wrote:Yeah, if 10% is pulling yours off my 100% acetone should be more than enough. My black KC Pro Aviars are the same way. The foil is quite stubborn on some.

I have to say that all my naked stampless discs look awesome. I may not dye them all as the minimalist look is pretty cool.

That was a typo, I meant 100%, but it's the none name brand with all the additives. I know that some of the acetone in stores puts protiens to help not damage the skin.
That could be why you are having issues.

Black Stamps are absolutely the worst, followed closely by the Rainbow stamps. They are a pain in the ass to remove.

I'm going to snag some lab grade acetone from work and see if there is a difference. The stuff at home is from the paint store and I assumed it would be additive free.
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Sanny Q-Sentinel

Postby Fritz » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:05 am

RoomTenONine wrote:
Fritz wrote:
RoomTenONine wrote:Yeah, if 10% is pulling yours off my 100% acetone should be more than enough. My black KC Pro Aviars are the same way. The foil is quite stubborn on some.

I have to say that all my naked stampless discs look awesome. I may not dye them all as the minimalist look is pretty cool.

That was a typo, I meant 100%, but it's the none name brand with all the additives. I know that some of the acetone in stores puts protiens to help not damage the skin.
That could be why you are having issues.

Black Stamps are absolutely the worst, followed closely by the Rainbow stamps. They are a pain in the ass to remove.

I'm going to snag some lab grade acetone from work and see if there is a difference. The stuff at home is from the paint store and I assumed it would be additive free.

You might want to look into some Goo Gone or Goof Off as well. One of my friends that dyes a lot of discs uses Goof Off to get his stamps off.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby marmoset » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:18 am

You might want to be extra careful with the Goof Off... it will delaminate a disc if you leave it on too long. I can't remember whic type of disc it was but it got boogered up pretty badly.

Goo Gone works? That's news to me. It's a much kinder chemical than Acetone or Goof Off so I'll have to try that one out.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby RoomTenONine » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:50 pm

I snagged some pure acetone from work today. We also had some Goof Off sitting in the chemical closet, so I grabbed that too. I'll test carefully with the later. Thanks for the tips.
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Fritz » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:56 pm

Let us know how the chems work. I'd be interested to see what industrial strength does.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Bugbee » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:17 pm

RoomTenONine wrote:We also had some Goof Off sitting in the chemical closet...

I hope he was wearing some sort of protection from the chemicals. Sounds like that guy is a dumbass.
Bugbee
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: 174g Z Predator

Postby stoneman » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:43 pm

:lol:
stoneman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Star Shark » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:26 am

Note - There are 2 types of Goof Off. The main one is alcohol based and will chew up plastics just like acetone will. Goof Off 2 is water based and specifically made not to kill plastics.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby RoomTenONine » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:44 am

The lab grade acetone (just 100%) was pretty much the same as what I had already from the paint store. However, the Goof Off (original version I believe) did remove the remaining foil from my KC Pros, but I still have shadows of the stamp on my QMS discs.

And the Goof Off did not eat my discs or anything. I didn't let it sit there for long.
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Fritz » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:43 am

RoomTenONine wrote:The lab grade acetone (just 100%) was pretty much the same as what I had already from the paint store. However, the Goof Off (original version I believe) did remove the remaining foil from my KC Pros, but I still have shadows of the stamp on my QMS discs.

And the Goof Off did not eat my discs or anything. I didn't let it sit there for long.

Thanks for the update. Did you have the orange scented goof off? Black Stamps are a pain in the ass. I will actually avoid buying a disc if it has a black stamp lol.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby RoomTenONine » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:59 pm

Goof Off had no orange scent as far as I could tell. It just smelled like varnish.
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Fritz » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:44 pm

good deal.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby malinkie » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:36 pm

I love the Ninja :) Beautiful dye job. I can't see how the rising sun would have been such a big deal :? could you elaborate?
.: Reaper : Valkyrie : Teebird : Roc : Spider : JK Pro Aviar X :.
My Throw
My Dyes
malinkie
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JK Pro Aviar X

Postby Fritz » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:05 am

malinkie wrote:I love the Ninja :) Beautiful dye job. I can't see how the rising sun would have been such a big deal :? could you elaborate?

Because I had to match the ninja up to the sun. I didn't want black lines on the sun, and I wanted the eyes for the ninja to be white. So I had to do two separate templates and make sure I got them matched up.
That and it was a little difficult to get the sunbeams to go all the way to the end. I had two minor leaks.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Denver Discer » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:15 pm

Yeah I'm pissed about the leaks......I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!!!!..............

ho

Peace
Scott
Denver Discer
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Disc Artwork