how much Rit to use?

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

how much Rit to use?

Postby phantem » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:08 pm

so I have just started dying some discs, with great success. I am using Chuck's method from his video. Thanks Chuck for showing us how incredibily easy this is..... except for the cutting part! So far I have only used black with some simple images. I am ready to try using two colors. When I made the black, I dumped the whole package into a pan of water, mixed and heated. Perfect deep black everytime. I would like to add some red into my images. With the scarlet powdered Rit how much should I use? I am afraid that if I dump the whole package like with the black it will be too dark.
phantem
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Re: how much Rit to use?

Postby Jesse B 707 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:24 pm

phantem wrote:so I have just started dying some discs, with great success. I am using Chuck's method from his video. Thanks Chuck for showing us how incredibily easy this is..... except for the cutting part! So far I have only used black with some simple images. I am ready to try using two colors. When I made the black, I dumped the whole package into a pan of water, mixed and heated. Perfect deep black everytime. I would like to add some red into my images. With the scarlet powdered Rit how much should I use? I am afraid that if I dump the whole package like with the black it will be too dark.

unless i am going for a super lite color i usually just dump the whole package in and take a look at it every minute or so so i can take it out right when the color is perfect
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby ChUcK » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:59 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote: i usually just dump the whole package in and take a look at it every minute or so so i can take it out right when the color is perfect

word.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby AciDBatH666 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:05 pm

You don't need to dump the whole pack in. You can, but I never find the need to. I have containers that I put most of my reusable colors in. I mix enough black powder into it so that when I mix it up, I can't see thru it. And it works fine. I heat up my mix a little hot at first, so some of it will evaporate. So I don't waste a whole packet on one batch of black since it's just going to disappear into thin air.

If Scarlet is a little too dark of a red for you, Mix it with 2 Tbsp Fuchsia, 1 Tbsp Scarlet. it'll give you Cherry Red. More of an American Flag red like you see on captain america dyes.
Found here http://www.ritdye.com/Create+Custom+Color.9.lasso
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby ChUcK » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:39 pm

AciDBatH666 wrote: since it's just going to disappear into thin air.

No way, man- the dye doesn't evaporate much if at all, just the water. You only need to keep adding water to your pan every so often, and you can use the same box of RIT for years...

Plus, the higher the concentration of dye molecules in the liquid, the faster the rate of diffusion of the dye molecules into the plastic=> less time required for dyeing.

It's similar to a sourdough starter, in a way. Keep feeding it what it needs and it just gets better with age!
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby AciDBatH666 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:45 pm

Maybe for you. But I go hot with my stuff. Since I've learned what's too much heat and what's just right... (enough to not warp the disc in any way/shape/form), I've been pretty consistent with it. I do fill it up with water first before I actually mix more rit in with it tho. I've been on the same batch of black for about 3 months.
Whatever works for you, go for it. I was simply saying you don't have to use a whole packet if you don't want to.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:58 pm

why would you not want it to dye faster though? if i am going to be dying alot of black dyes in a row i'll put almost 2 whole packages in the pan, that shit is DARK in one dip and soak for 10 minutes, i dont like to have to do too many dips as it raises the chances of a bleed and mainly im super impatient
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby JohnnyB » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:12 pm

AciDBatH666 wrote:Maybe for you. But I go hot with my stuff. Since I've learned what's too much heat and what's just right... (enough to not warp the disc in any way/shape/form), I've been pretty consistent with it. I do fill it up with water first before I actually mix more rit in with it tho. I've been on the same batch of black for about 3 months.
Whatever works for you, go for it. I was simply saying you don't have to use a whole packet if you don't want to.

I find that when I use the heat I get a lot of sediment at the bottom of the pan. I'll just put some cold water into the pan, swirl it around, and pour that into my dye container. I've only bought 1 box of each color the entire time I've been dyeing.
"A hedgehog was also killed"
JohnnyB
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Star tee-rex

Return to Disc Artwork