Transferring Designs

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Transferring Designs

Postby innovadude » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:52 pm

For those of us that do not have a plotter, what is the best way to transfer designs from paper onto the contact paper. my dyeing method is to contact paper the disc, then either draw simple sraight line images onto the contact paper, to place the regular paper on top of the contact paper and cut through both, which does not work very well, or print onto a piece of contact paper, place that onto the disc, and cover that image with a clear piece of contact paper, which also does not work well. So i am wondering what you Advanced dyers do for your images. thanks for looking
innovadude
Tree Magnet

Re: Transferring Designs

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:38 pm

if you have a glass coffee table, rig up a lamp or even flashlight under the glass, secure your contact paper over the design and trace it on with a fine tipped permanent pen (so it wont smear)
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby mzuleger » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:56 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:if you have a glass coffee table, rig up a lamp or even flashlight under the glass, secure your contact paper over the design and trace it on with a fine tipped permanent pen (so it wont smear)

You could also buy or make a light box but I also use the "lamp under the table" trick. I don't trace mine with a pen though I just cut it (I also use vinyl sticker for the design and then contact paper to transfer the design to the disc).
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Postby mzuleger » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:09 pm

Just found this, seems like a cool way to make a cheap light box.
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Postby Fritz » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:53 pm

Get a piece of translucent white acrylic (you can get it at home depot, lowes etc....) and a bright light. The translucent white (2447 sign white for the technical color) or 2067 either way, will defuse the light perfect an allow you to trace the image onto the paper/vinyl.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Luv2Disc » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:41 pm

Personally I like to print my images off on 28lb printing paper then cut out my stencil from the paper, then position it where I want it then spray some regular krylon black spray paint over it to transfer the image, then I still have my original stencil to re-use. Plus it's way faster transferring the image than to have to retrace it by hand.

RD
PDGA #39548 aka " The Machete "

~ Flying High Disc Golf ~
~ 5 ONE 5 Disc Golf ~

Carroll Marty DG video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMjmyz5yqog
Luv2Disc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Discraft ESP Force

Return to Disc Artwork