Zacks First Dyes!

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Zacks First Dyes!

Postby AustinDiscSports » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:48 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:that Rhyno plastic will not dye well at all, dont waste your time

:? thats what i was worried about, have you tried to dye a pro rhyno with little luck? Or have you just had a rough time with that plastic in general?
AustinDiscSports
Noob

Favorite Disc: Always changing!

Postby Timko » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:00 pm

AustinDiscSports wrote:
Jesse B 707 wrote:that Rhyno plastic will not dye well at all, dont waste your time

:? thats what i was worried about, have you tried to dye a pro rhyno with little luck? Or have you just had a rough time with that plastic in general?

I would say don't waste your time putting that damned UT logo on your disc, but to each his own :D.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby AustinDiscSports » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:21 pm

I would say don't waste your time putting that damned UT logo on your disc, but to each his own :D.

Ouch, you must be a red blood of some sort eh? that or a purple, or maroon, or whatever color that is that they like over there in college station... :P
AustinDiscSports
Noob

Postby AustinDiscSports » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:46 pm

So, against some advice, I decided to be stubborn and see if my Pro Rhyno would hold dye. I didnt wanna take the time to carve out the Texas design, so I just free handed a simple 8 ball and stuck it up towards the edge. I'll make sure to post a pic of my success/failure, wish me luck...
AustinDiscSports
Noob

Postby AustinDiscSports » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:25 pm

So here is my latest two. Instead of the TX graphic on the Pro Rhyno, I decided to do a simple free hand, quick and dirty 8ball design, just to see if the plastic will take the dye at all. I let it soak for a few hours in warm Rit. It took the dye alright, I had to scrub it a while so that it would stop rubbing dye off on my hands, but it took. The ink bled a lil, probably because I accidentally let the dye mixture to get a bit warm, but its not bad, judge for yourself...

Here's my Champion Tee-Bird with a very elaborate NW Native American thunderbird/animal design. By far the most complicated design I've done so far, but for the most part, I'm happy with the results. There were a few bleeds along the edge. I could have removed the masking and made the wing solid black and cover up the mess up, but I figured the orange on the edge looked so much better. So, here's that project in its completion. Just a side note, the lines are much cleaner in person, all I have is a camera phone, so its a lower quality snapshot.

Finally, Ive been wanting to do this dye forever, I'll hopefully give it a go on my new white Star SL. Here's the stencil, should I just have this design by itself? or should I add anything?

AustinDiscSports
Noob

Postby ChUcK » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:56 pm

Yeah, the circle dyes near the rim of the disc will bleed on you quite often. So it goes. You can combat it by scrubbing the disc clean (I use dish soap) and rinsing/drying thoroughly before vinyl application, but nothing will stop edge bleeds 100%.

Nice NW dye. I think those designs translate well to discs. As far as the rhyno goes, well, I've had similar crappy results with all of that softer, more porous plastic. If you ever find some miracle method then by all means share...
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby AustinDiscSports » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:21 am

Here are my latest, I stayed up til 5am finishing the multi color, but for the most part, It came out really well.

This is just a 172g Champ Stingray. I hardly ever use it, but I figured if I put something fun and cheery on it I would use it a lil more, or at least be able to get a good trade for it. If you can't tell, its the Kool-Aid man, OH YEAAAAAAAAHHHH!
This was my first disc with multiple colors that I had to mask off, I used 7 colors total... It took about 3 hours to carve out and about 2 or 3 hours to dye. I'm pleased over all with it, no bleeds or color mixing, however the vinyl left a tannish hue over most of the dic with a few stark white bubbles here and there, also the vinyl left some sticky stuff behind when I weeded out some of the fists before I dipped it, so some parts arent dyed much. Has anyone had trouble with their vinyl leaving behind color on a white disc? It doesnt bother me too much, kinda gives it a nice retro weathered look. I used my new 175g Star SL. Anyway, here it is, I'm pretty happy with it!
AustinDiscSports
Noob

Postby AustinDiscSports » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:13 pm

Got bored and had an extra hour and a half, so I decided to flare up my Squall a lil with a wicked swan dye in the center. I wanted to do it black or red, but I figured blue would go better with the stamp. It came out nice tho.
Last edited by AustinDiscSports on Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AustinDiscSports
Noob

Postby swan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:16 pm

AustinDiscSports wrote:It came out nice tho.

I concur. Can I have it?
Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting, my friend.
swan
Noob

Postby AustinDiscSports » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:27 pm

swan wrote:I concur. Can I have it?

Haha, mail me a disc and a few bucks and I'll hook you up :lol:
AustinDiscSports
Noob

Postby AustinDiscSports » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:29 pm

AustinDiscSports wrote:

I appreciate that you like it, my girlfriend thought that's how the disc came from the store :P
AustinDiscSports
Noob

Postby Luke » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:38 pm

AustinDiscSports wrote:
AustinDiscSports wrote:

I appreciate that you like it, my girlfriend thought that's how the disc came from the store :P

Would 3 discs and 20 bucks be enough for you to dye three discs?
Luke
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby ferretdance03 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:19 am

[quote="AustinDiscSports"...also the vinyl left some sticky stuff behind when I weeded out some of the fists before I dipped it, so some parts arent dyed much. Has anyone had trouble with their vinyl leaving behind color on a white disc?...[/quote]
I have had the vinyl leave a bit of residue that rejects the dye. Usually I will wait until it's dry and then wipe it a few times with some acetone to get the residue off.

Nice dyes though!
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby AustinDiscSports » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:45 am

ferretdance03 wrote:I have had the vinyl leave a bit of residue that rejects the dye. Usually I will wait until it's dry and then wipe it a few times with some acetone to get the residue off.

Well, it wasnt the residue that kept the ink from taking in , but the discoloration on the white disc from the vinyl. I dont know if the heat from the dye was too hot and caused the adhesive to stain the disc, or if it was pigment from the vinyl coloring itself that stained it...
AustinDiscSports
Noob

Postby dgdave » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:09 am

What's the fist dye a symbol for?
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!